• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday, November 25th

COMMENTARY: TWO STATE SOLUTION
    Belief in Palestinian Openness to Two State Solution Amounts to Insanity
    https://besacenter.org/perspectives-...tion-insanity/

I never thought I would concur with anything written by veteran Israeli peace activist Uri Avnery,
    but I find myself in full agreement with his recent prognosis that sheer stupidity plays a major role
    in the history of nations and that the longstanding rejection of the two state solution has been nothing
    short of grand idiocy.

But it is here that our consensus ends. For rather than look at the historical record of the Palestinian
    Israeli conflict and draw the self evident conclusions, Avnery retreats into the counterfactual fantasyland
    in which he has been living for decades. When I pointed this out [i.e., the two state solution], right after
    the 1948 war, he writes, I was more or less alone. Now, this is a worldwide consensus, everywhere
    except in Israel.

==========

IRAN
    Iran blasts immature Saudi crown prince

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/N...ws.aspx/238474

Mohammed Bin Salman Reuters

Iran fired back on Friday, after Saudi Arabias Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman called Iranian
    Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei the new Hitler of the Middle East.

The Islamic Republic said the Saudi crown prince was discredited internationally by his immature
    behavior, Reuters reported, citing state television.

No one in the world and in the international arena gives credit to him because of his immature and
    weak minded behavior and remarks
    , Irans Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi was quoted
    as saying.

Now that he has decided to follow the path of famous regional dictators he should think about their
    fate as well
    , added Qasemi.

==========

SAUDI ARABIA
    Is a Door Opening for Christianity in Saudi Arabia?

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/20...n-saudi-arabia

Stunning political developments in Saudi Arabia have some wondering if the strict Muslim ruled
    Kingdom could become more tolerant of Christianity.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman has said he intends to return Saudi Arabia to moderate
    Islam and open the country to all faiths.

The percentage of Saudi Arabian citizens who are Christians today is officially zero because the
    conversion from Islam to Christianity has long been punishable by death.

But it is estimated that between four and five percent of the population is Christian
    mostly guest workers who are not allowed to worship openly.

Some are hopeful that change is coming.

The days of a religious monopoly in Saudi Arabia are over, says Christian Palestinian journalist
    Daoud Kuttab to Christianity Today No more pushing Islam down every citizens throat.

==========

SUDAN
    Although persecuted, Sudans Christian population is growing

https://www.economist.com/news/middl...hristian-south

IF SOUTH SUDAN secedes, Omar alBashir told supporters at a rally in 2010, we will change the
    constitution, paying no attention to diversity of culture
    . The Sudanese president revisited the subject
    two years later. Our template is clear: a 100% Islamic constitution, he said in a speech to Muslim
    leaders in the capital, Khartoum. As for nonMuslims: Nothing will preserve your rights except for
    Islamic sharia

The south seceded in 2011, taking with it most of Sudans Christians. After the split churches in the
    north were burned. Then came demolitions: at least 20 since 2011. Four took place in August this
    year. About 27 other churches are listed for bulldozing. The government says it is merely removing
    unlicensed buildings. But only churches seem to be getting knocked down. In any case, the government
    announced in 2013 that it would no longer grant licences for the construction of new churches. Christians
    have no rights here any longer
    , says Reverend Kuwa Shamal of the Sudanese Church of Christ, one of
    several church leaders who have been arrested on specious charges of spying and undermining the
    constitution.

Many of the Christians that Sudan lost when the south broke away have since returned: about half a million
    South Sudanese have crossed the border since the start of a civil war there in 2013. Father Juma Charles of
    St Matthews Catholic Cathedral in Khartoum says that so many of his flock have returned that prayer centers
    that were closed in 2011 are open again.

========

SWEDEN
    Gender Neutral Language

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8073426.html

High angle view of a church, Riddarholm Church, Riddarholmen, Stockholm, Sweden Credit Frank Chmura

The Church of Sweden is encouraging its clergy to use the gender neutral term God instead of referring
    to the deity as he or the Lord.

The decision was made on Thursday, wrapping up an eight day meeting of the church 251 member
    decision making body. The decision will take effect on May 20 during Pentecost.

It is the latest move by the national Evangelical Lutheran church to modernise its 31 year old handbook
    setting out how services should be conducted.

==========
Working...
X