X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religious News

Former 'churches' opt for name change

In part -
    SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Don't count on Googling "church" to find all the Christian places of worship near your home. The word is being abandoned as many congregations choose catchier names to attract new members.
    The HighWay Community, Harbor Light and Great Exchange are just a few of the unconventional names being chosen by congregations in California and across the country.

It's all part of a larger effort to draw in younger generations looking for something other than their parents' church, as well as people who have never attended church or found the right fit.

"They're very creative with these names. They raise curiosity, break stereotypes," said Eddie Gibbs, professor of church growth at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, Calif. "They appeal not just to the younger generation, but those impacted by popular culture."

Some churches have gone so far as to change long-standing names. Among the latest are the Evangelical Free Church of Fremont, which became Bridges -- as in building bridges -- and the city's 70-year-old First Assembly of God, which this month became Harbor Light.

"First Assembly of God was probably an appropriate and meaningful name a generation or so back. Just like First Lutheran or First Presbyterian," said the Rev. Terry Inman of Harbor Light. "Back then it meant just getting started, but today it sometimes comes across as projecting first class."

"People just don't have a clue" what denominational titles mean, he said.

Comment

Is This Evangelicalism's Terminal Generation?

The Urgency of Preaching

What Should We Think of the Emerging Church? Part One

The above very good articles are by Albert Mohler -
      Author, Speaker, President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Public Response from Lighthouse Trails Publishing About Rick Warren Email

A Closer Look at the Email Sent From Rick Warren With findings regarding those comments...

Exposing the Truth

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:33:50 -0700
      Subject: TBC Today : "No Doubt We're In The Last Days" News

BT Answers Prayers of Distracted UK Congregation

British telecoms operator BT Group Plc (BT.L) has wired up a church in Wales to allow the congregation to hook onto local high-speed Internet connections when they want a break from the sermon.

Britain's largest fixed-line telecoms operator said on Tuesday it had installed a Wi-Fi wireless network access point, known as a hotspot, in Reverend Keith Kimber's St John's Rectory church in the city of Cardiff.

"The church has to move with the times and I wanted to make St John's a sanctuary for everyone, including business people with laptops and mobiles," Kimber said in a statement issued by BT.

"I have no problem with people quietly sending an email or surfing the Internet in church, as long as they respect the church"
      (Reuters, 6/1/05).

[Hello??]

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:38:09 -0700
      Subject: TBC Today : Bogus Beliefs

Churches unite on the left

Determined not to let conservative Christians dominate the faith, 14 area
      churches have banded together to convince wavering believers there is more
      than one way to be a Christian.

Progressivechurches is the name of the new coalition, and it has taken out a
      catchy ad running in several area newspapers. The group also has a Web site,
      www.progressivechurches.org.

"Almost given up on Christianity?" it reads. "We understand."

The coalition has so far identified three common issues: the inclusion of
      gays and lesbians, the need to protect the environment, and a desire to be
      more responsible global citizens.

"We feel the primary understanding of Christianity in mainstream America is
      that of the evangelical right," said the Rev. Doug Long, the pastor of North
      Raleigh United, a United Church of Christ congregation. "We want people to
      know there are Christians who think of things in a different way."

The churches, belonging to seven different Protestant denominations, do not
      agree on all the "values" issues so prominent in the news. But that's the
      point, they say. They don't have to (Shrimron, News Observer, Raleigh, NC,
      June 3, 2005).

[TBC: The question of right-wing politics versus left-wing politics misses
      the point. The real question is, "is it biblical and does it conform to the
      revealed will of God?"
      ]
      The Berean Call
      (Well said TBC.)
      Last edited by faith; 06-29-2005, 05:14 PM. Reason: added news

Comment

CNN LARRY KING LIVE - Interview With Joel Osteen
        Regardless which pastor or church, etc., it's unbelievable & sad how common this is becoming - to hear pastors or ministries, etc., not be able to answer a question about clearcut religions that don't even believe in Jesus as personal Savior, if those of that faith would go to heaven or hell? How can anyone say that Jesus is the way, but also say they don't know about those others?? Can't have it both ways. That type of doubletalk/unsureness about something so crucial, w/eternal lives hanging in the balance, would leave the world in confusion. Why then would they think it truly mattered what religion they followed? That leads to pluralism, satan's big lie. He wants to take as many with him to hell as possible. How confusing to the world watching to think any path can lead to god.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

(Peter speaking of Jesus Christ of Nazareth)
        Acts 4:12Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

And for those of you that missed this very relating article below, you won't want to miss it - a must-read also...

Religion Gets Supersized at Megachurches
        (Ignore the title, it's what's IN the article that is so key to understand today, especially relating to the article above. And this is what's happening to religions around the globe. Frill & fluff don't save people. Regardless which church or pastor, when this type of stuff is what people get, w/eternal souls on the line, life & death hanging in the balance, CONFUSION is left as to what THE REAL WHOLE TRUTH IS.)

2 Corinthians 4 Treasures in Jars of Clay
        1Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart.
        2Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God.
        On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. 3And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.

Romans 12 :1-2
        1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.
        2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.

2 Timothy 4
        2Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction.
        3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

Matthew 7: The Narrow and Wide Gates
        13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
        A Tree and Its Fruit
        15"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
        21"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your Name, and in Your Name drive out demons and perform many miracles?'
        23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!'

Jeremiah 5:30-31 "A horrible and shocking thing has happened in the land: The prophets prophesy lies, the priests rule by their own authority, and my people love it this way. But what will you do in the end?

*After reading the articles, make sure to page down to the very helpful group of Scriptures in the beginning of the religious news section.
        Last edited by faith; 07-02-2005, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Environmental News

This Hurricane Updates thread will remain pinned at the top thru the hurricane season to keep everyone alert to new tropical systems as we become aware of them. Very helpful & informative hurricane links are listed below.

Within this Hurricane thread, we'll try to keep bulletins & relating news for each developing storm system (from Tropical Depression to Hurricane) in its' own section here, deleting old updates to bring in the newer ones. This will make it much simpler for our readers this hurricane season.

For those of you in or near hurricane territory:
          Stay tuned to your own local news, radio, your own weather radio alert system, and/or internet - whichever is best for your area to stay on top of things if tropical systems or hurricanes make it to or near your area. And as always, may the Lord be with you. Our thoughts & prayers are with you as well.

NOAA's National Hurricane Center - Tropical Prediction Center

United States Active Tropical by Intellicast

The Weather Channel - weather.com

HURRICANECITY Atlantic Hurricane Tracking w/LIVE audio broadcasting & video

Weather Underground: Tropical Weather - new link added

Caribbean Hurricane Network

AccuWeather.com's Hurricane and Tropical Storm Center

Hurricaneville.com

SATELLITE & RADAR views:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...00524_sat.html

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browsh3.html

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/GMEX/IR4/20.jpg

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/NWATL/WV/20.jpg

Central Pacific: GOES-West Water Vapor Image:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/CPAC/WV/20.jpg

Joint Typhoon Warning Center:

http://www.npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc.html

Those are helpful maps, so you can see the areas of interest right now.

Live cams & streaming webcams:

BEST OF WXnation: SUPER SITES!
          TONS of weather radars, live cams, & streaming webcams to watch the weather changes as hurricanes approach.

2005 TROPICAL STORM and HURRICANE WEBCAMS and TRACKING INFORMATION
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Misc. Storm Data:

The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale

Historic Hurricanes--Some of the Most Powerful Storms on Record - new link added

How close can it get? - - Closest Point of Approach - -
          EZ interactive program.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki
          This has been an EXCELLENT encyclopedia resource of information for each record hurricane that comes along. They are constantly updating the information as the storm system moves & changes. And they keep all the facts coming as soon as they get them. What a great help!

Brief highlights below:

Hurricane Beta
          From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Hurricane Beta extended the record for most named Atlantic tropical storms in a season to 23 and was the 1st use of the name Beta for an Atlantic tropical system. Beta was the 13th Atlantic hurricane of 2005, which breaks the 1969 record of 12 hurricanes, and 7th major hurricane of the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season. Additionally, it was the 1st hurricane and the 2nd tropical system (after Tropical Storm Alpha) to ever be named with a Greek letter.

Beta reached windspeeds of 115 mph (185 km/h) making it a Category 3 hurricane by 4 am EST October 30.

Hurricane Wilma
          From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hurricane Wilma is the 21st named storm, 12th hurricane (both record-tying) and 6th major hurricane of the record-breaking 2005 Atlantic hurricane season. It is also the 3rd Category 5 hurricane of the season, beating the records set by the 1960 and 1961 seasons.

It is the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic basin, and the 10th most intense tropical cyclone ever recorded, the other 9 being typhoons. It also has the lowest pressure ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere (near sea level, outside tornadoes), a record previously held by Hurricane Gilbert. Wilma is the 3rd Category 5 hurricane to develop in October, the other 2 being Hurricane Mitch of 1998 and Hurricane Hattie of 1961. It is the second 21st storm in any season, and is the earliest formation of a season's 21st storm by nearly a month.

This(Wilma's rapid intensification) is a record for the Atlantic Basin and is one of the most rapid deepening phases ever undergone by a tropical cyclone anywhere on Earth. The World Record was set by Super Typhoon Forrest in 1983. [2]

Hurricane Rita

Hurricane Rita was the 17th named tropical storm, 9th hurricane, 5th major hurricane, and 2nd Category 5 hurricane of the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season. This hurricane is on record as being the strongest measured hurricane to ever have entered the Gulf of Mexico, and the 4th most intense hurricane ever in the Atlantic Basin.

NOAA reported Rita's record-setting Category 5 strength as a result of achieving a minimum central pressure of 897 millibars (hPa) (26.49 inches of mercury) on the afternoon of September 21, 2005. This record strength steadily diminished prior to landfall after Rita moved over cooler waters in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Only the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, Hurricane Camille in 1969, and Hurricane Andrew in 1992 made landfall in the United States as Category 5 hurricanes since measurements began.

Lt. Col. Warren Madden, a Hurricane Hunter and meteorologist for The Weather Channel, recorded a peak wind gust of 235 mph (380 km/h) while in the eye of the storm. "Rita is the strongest storm that I've ever been in," he commented.

Rita's wind field was so intense that it has either destroyed or disabled several weather buoys. Some buoys are adrift after breaking free from their moorings. Latest buoy readings can be found from the National Data Buoy Center's web site.

Notable facts:
          Rita has broken multiple records, being the earliest 17th named storm, the 3rd most intense storm, and quickest drop of pressure in one hour. Hurricane Rita recently became the 4th most intense hurricane on record in the Atlantic basin and the most intense hurricane on record in the Gulf of Mexico, the latter a record set by Hurricane Katrina 3 weeks earlier.

Hurricane Katrina

Hurricane Katrina was the 11th named tropical storm, 4th hurricane, 3rd major hurricane, and first Category 5 hurricane of the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season. It was the 3rd most powerful storm of the season, behind Hurricane Wilma and Hurricane Rita, and the 6th-strongest storm ever recorded in the Atlantic basin.

The hurricane left an estimated 5 million people without power, and it may take up to 2 months for all power to be restored. On September 3, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff described the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina as "probably the worst catastrophe, or set of catastrophes" in the country's history, referring to the hurricane itself plus the flooding of New Orleans.

A 10 to 30 foot (3 to 10 m) storm surge came ashore on over 200 continuous miles of coastline, from southeast Louisiana, including Mississippi and Alabama, through to the Florida panhandle. The 30 foot (10 m) storm surge recorded at Biloxi, Mississippi is the highest ever observed in America.

The damage from Katrina was higher than $200 billion, topping Hurricane Andrew as the most destructive and expensive natural disaster in U.S. history. Over a million people were displaced — a humanitarian crisis on a scale unseen in the U.S. since the Great Depression.

"Not since the Dust Bowl of the 1930s or the end of the Civil War in the 1860s have so many Americans been on the move from a single event."

(For MUCH more indepth info. on these hurricanes, click on the hurricane links above.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Luke 21:25 "There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea."
          Last edited by faith; 11-19-2005, 01:08 PM. Reason: UPDATED

Comment

Re: Scriptures

Luke 12:15 Then He said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

16And He told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. 17He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.'
            18"Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." '
            20"But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'
            21"This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God." (side note: SPIRITUAL/HEAVENLY prosperity is what God wants us to strive for)

Do Not Worry
            22Then Jesus said to His disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31But seek His kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

32"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Comment

Updates Digest 6 Jul 2005 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 79

Subject: TBC Today : Quotable Quotes

People from every corner of the globe look across the seas and envy America.
              They want what we have, but fail to understand what produced it -- even homegrown Americans fail to understand what has given them such privilege.
              They want the fruits of the Gospel of Jesus Christ while, at the same time, hating its principles and practicing the religion that produced poverty and bondage in the land from which they fled. But it is these things that are protected and advocated, while biblical Christianity and the tranquility, justice and morality that it produces are under attack from within and without.

The fruit cannot long remain when the root is destroyed. The benefits of the Gospel that our forefathers advocated cannot long be enjoyed if the foundations are abolished (**** York, SFMI Jan/Feb 2005 Update).

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek" (Romans 1:16).
              (TBC articles printed here at MWM w/permission from TBC.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Woman Who Went To the Front of the Mosque
              Feminist Faces Ostracism -- or Worse -- for Praying Among Men

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. It was two days after she appeared on "Nightline" talking about her fight to change her mosque that the death threats began. The first call came on her cell phone. The caller left a message, in Urdu: "If you want to stay alive, keep your mouth shut." Otherwise, he said, he would "slaughter" her, halal style, saying a prayer as he slid a knife across her throat. If she didn't shut up, he'd slaughter her mother and her father, too. Think before you speak, he said. I know where you live. I know where your parents live.

Then he called her parents' home 10 minutes later. Just to reinforce the message.

It's not a message that Asra Nomani, Muslim, unwed mother, former Wall Street Journal reporter, author and left-leaning feminist, is planning to heed (although she did contact the FBI and her local police). Yes, she's started locking her doors now, a rarity for her here in her hilly home town.
              But she won't be shutting up, definitely not, never.

There are those who see Nomani, a self-described "overambitious child of immigrants," as a crusader, an activist lobbying for the right of Muslim women to pray side by side with men. This spring she launched the Muslim Women's Freedom Tour, traveling from city to city (including a stop in April at the Islamic Center of Washington on Massachusetts Avenue NW) to encourage Muslim women to assert themselves in their mosques. "She's like a troublemaker," says Gamal Fahmy, 31, a British-born, Egyptian-raised assistant professor at West Virginia University and a mosque member who once clashed with Nomani and her father in a study session. "I don't think she's that religious, she's that zealous about Islam and being a Muslim," he says.
              "Bottom line, I believe she's doing this for profit reasons" (Teresa Wiltz, Washington Post, June 5, 2005, p. D01).

[TBC: Contrary to Islam, Christian denominations don't advocate slitting the throats of their dissenters. The Islamic professor seems more concerned about the "troublemaker" than the threat of his Muslim brother. This is true Islam!]

Comment

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005
                Subject: TBC Today : Bogus Beliefs

Animal Sacrifices in Christian Churches [Excerpts]

A coalition of [South African Catholic] priests claims that the hesitancy of
                Catholic leaders to give their blessing to animal sacrifices is simply
                another instance of the white colonial mentality that refuses to give
                proper respect to native practices. These priests are supported in their
                demand for sacrifices by Archbishop Buti Tlhagale of Bloemfontein who
                asserts that "Animal sacrifice has a special place in the scheme of things
                and is celebrated in almost all African families. We have kept it out of
                God's Church for too long."

But faced with recalcitrant parish priests like Father Kevin Rey! nolds, who
                argues that animal sacrifice is "foreign to traditional Catholic theology
                regarding the Mass," the archbishop has offered a compromise. Although
                Catholic theology does say that since the sacrificial death of Jesus 2,000
                years ago, there is no longer any need to offer animal sacrifices to God,
                the killing can still be carried out. But instead of offering the blood of
                the victims to God, it can be offered in honor of the African ancestors of
                participating Catholics. (Ancestor worship is seen by the archbishop, and
                others, as the native equivalent of the Catholic practice of honoring its
                canonized saints.) Archbishop Buti proposes that the blood of the slain
                animal--be it goat, chicken, sheep or cow--can be presented during the Mass
                as "a gift to the ancestors, not to God."

And what does the "Euro-centric" hierarchy in South Africa think about the
                sacrifice of animals in Catholic churches? Well, Archbishop George Daniel,
                head of the Pretoria archdiocese for the past 25 years, doesn't seem to be
                overly concerned about it. He allows that it could become a problem at
                some future date--if the tenor of the debate escalates--but says "we will
                have to cross that bridge when we come to it."

For him, killing animals in the churches is not sacrilegious, it is just
                another facet of the "incultration process." This process takes place when
                the Roman Church and Catholics in a given country try to find a suitable
                accommodation between church requirements and traditional practices of the
                native culture. The incorporation of African music is presented as another
                example of incultration.
                There were dissenters who fought against having
                native instruments and hymns as the background to their church services,
                but eventually people on both sides of the debate were accommodated.
                (Hyland, HUMANE RELIGION, 2000, http://www.all-creatures.org/hr/hra.htm).

[TBC: Error begets error.]
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                The Berean Call:

2005 Newsletters
                http://thebereancall.org/Newsletters...s/default.aspx

2005 Radio Programs
                http://radio.thebereancall.org/radio/2005/2005.htm

Spanish Newsletters
                http://www.thebereancall.org/Newslet...s/default.aspx

Comment

Subject: TBC Today : Shrink This!

One enemy that loves to usurp our [Lord] is self. This is a very dangerous
                  enemy, because he comes in like a wolf in sheeps clothing. He is a cruel
                  and crafty enemy; whenever we serve self, we are no longer serving Christ.
                  Self will never be satisfied; it always wants to be just a little more
                  comfortable, pampered and the center of attention. Self will deceive you
                  saying just a little more sleep, food or entertainment, but the next day he
                  demands more; and the more you give the more he wants. He will tell you how
                  to serve Jesus and get you so busy doing all kinds of religious work that
                  you wont have time for prayer and the reading of the Word. In reality you
                  are not abiding in Him and have become alienated from the abundant life that
                  you should have in Him. No wonder Jesus said unto His disciples, If any man
                  will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow
                  Me. Matthew 16:24 (Lucas, SFMI Update, May/June 2005).

Comment

Re: Good news

Hope, faith guide Hurricane Center director
                    I absolutely loved this news. When you're dealing w/meteorology, dealing with God's own creation, and the powerful forces of it, how could anyone not believe in Him. Seeing nature just puts you in awe at God's power & at peace at knowing He's our Father. So, what a blessing to read that great news above.

Psalm 19
                    For the director of music. A psalm of David.
                    1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
                    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
                    2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
                    night after night they display knowledge.
                    3 There is no speech or language
                    where their voice is not heard.

Comment

Whadaya Expect From A Miraculous Book?

Subject: TBC Today : Whadaya Expect From A Miraculous Book?

The Bible has often been validated by historical evidences. Consider the boasts of the Assyrian King Sennacherib (from a cuneiform inscription) which are in perfect accord with the biblical account.

I laid waste the large district of Judah and made the overbearing and proud Hezekiah, its king, bow in submission. I laid siege to 46 of his strong
                      cities: . . . and conquered (them). These are the statements of someone hoping to make his mark in history. This he has done.

The Bible records Sennecherib's campaign in Second Kings and also in Second Chronicles. Sennacherib king of of Assyria came and entered into Judah, and encamped against the fenced cities (2 Chronicles 32:1). Sennacherib's invasion came, according to 2 Kings 18:13 in the fourteenth year of King Hezekiah, around 701 B.C. The Biblical texts parallel Sennacherib's account in admitting that Sennacherib attacked and captured all the fenced cities of Judah (Annals of Sennacherib, 705-681 BC).

Comment

Man Says...God Says...

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:22:47 -0700
                        Subject: TBC Today : Man Says... God Says...

President of the National Association of Evangelicals, Ted Haggard has
                        joined forces with the Institute on Religion and Democracy (IRD) with the
                        purpose of getting Christian leaders to agree to be more careful about what
                        we say about Islam. The resulting position paper criticized disparaging
                        Islam by certain Christian leaders including Franklin Graham. Further, the
                        paper implied that we are worshipping the same God, something faithful
                        Muslims would vehemenently deny

Man Says: Try to formulate and celebrate common acts of worship. As
                        Christians who worship God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as instructed by
                        our Lord Jesus, we find any w! orship that omits those names and concepts of
                        God (offensive to Muslims) to be impoverished rather than enriched. We do
                        not wish to strip our worship down to the point that Muslims would find it
                        acceptable, nor do we require Muslims to reduce their worship to a point
                        that would be acceptable to Christians. It is better to worship alongside
                        Muslims, with them practicing what they consider to be proper worship while
                        we Christians observe, and vice versa, rather than trying to have a common
                        worship. ("Guidelines for Christian-Muslim Dialogue," Alan Wisdom, May 7,
                        2003, The Institute on Religion and Democracy).

God Says: "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what
                        fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath
                        light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part
                        hath he that believeth with an infidel?"

"Can two walk together, except they be agreed?"

Comment

EVOLUTION WATCH: 400 scientists skeptical of Darwin (so far)

EVOLUTION WATCH: 400 scientists skeptical of Darwin; Theory 'great white elephant of contemporary thought'
                          That is a great & fascinating article that you won't want to miss reading. Very important in today's environment. Thanks for the great find, Janet!

Comment

Churches seeking marketing-savvy breed of pastor

Churches seeking marketing-savvy breed of pastor

Comment

1 in 6 base morality on Bible
                              Other common means of making moral choices, according to the study, include doing what feels right or comfortable, 24 percent; doing whatever makes the most people happy or causes the least conflict, 9 percent; and pursuing whatever produces the most positive outcomes for the person, 7 percent.

Court rules atheism a religion
                              A federal court of appeals ruled yesterday Wisconsin prison officials violated an inmate's rights because they did not treat atheism as a religion.

The Harry Potter Vacation Bible School
                              According to Associated Press, "Wizards and Wonders: The Journey with Harry Potter" is, uh, taking off as young ones mount their broomsticks and learn to fly at the "Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft" which teaches them this and other nuances of the interconnectedness of witches, wizards and magic with Scripture.

Comment

A top Southern Baptist pleads with churches to recover Bible-based discipline
                                The next meeting of the United Methodist Church's highest tribunal will review an unusual dispute about discipline. It involves whether the Rev. Edward Johnson should have been put on forced unpaid leave because he refused a homosexual who wanted to join his congregation in South Hill, Va.

Comment

Working...
                                X