This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Israel VS Hez-bullies Part III

20:39 Spanish PM says Mideast fighting could fuel radical Islam (AP) - well duh?!

20:36 Lebanese PM Siniora: After ceasefire, Lebanon`s army will deploy in south (Ch. 10)

20:30 Arab FMs pass unanimous resolution demanding UN help end Mideast violence (AP)

www.haaretz.com

Comment

Originally posted by TomT
      20:39 Spanish PM says Mideast fighting could fuel radical Islam (AP) - well duh?!

20:36 Lebanese PM Siniora: After ceasefire, Lebanon`s army will deploy in south (Ch. 10)

20:30 Arab FMs pass unanimous resolution demanding UN help end Mideast violence (AP)

www.haaretz.com
      Sounds like they all are looking for peace to me.

Comment

Arab League chief Amr Moussa: Middle East peace process is "Dead"

Foreign ministers of 18 Arab countries passed a unanimous resolution Saturday calling on the UN Security Council to intervene to stop escalating Mideast fighting.

"The Middle East peace process has failed.

The whole process should now be sent back to the Security Council for a complete overhaul," Said Arab League Secretary-General Amr Moussa. (AP)
        http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...276171,00.html

Given all that has already occurred in just the last two weeks, and what is still likely to occur before the hostilities actually cease - I am personally convinced that both the West (US - EU) - the Arabs / Iran and assorted global Muslims will not rest until there is a so called comprehensive ME "peace" - one that has to be "confirmed by the many" - and one that is aimed at neutering Israel's military capabilities for self-defense

Comment

Early reports of Israeli aircraft have attacked central Beirut for the first time in the four-day offensive. ...

looking for news source

Comment

Lebanese PM: We'll deploy army to south after cease-fire

By Amos Harel and Yoav Stern, Haaretz Correspondents and Agencies

Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora called Saturday for an immediate cease-fire with Israel, and asked for help in deploying the country's army in the south, from where Hezbollah has for days pounded northern Israel with Katyusha rockets.

"We call for an immediate cease-fire backed by the United Nations," said Siniora in an address to the nation. "We call to broaden the state's control over all of its territory, in cooperation with United Nations forces, in southern Lebanon."

He said the IDF assault, sparked by the Hezbollah abduction of two of its soldiers Wednesday, had devasted his country, and called for international aid.

"I declare today that Lebanon is a disaster zone in need of a comprehensive and speedy Arab plan... and [it] pleads to its friends in the world to rush to its aid," he said.
            http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/738699.html

Comment

What I find alarming is that they used a Silkworm missile--there's a big difference (in my understanding) between the katushyas they have been firing and a silkworm missile.

If a silkworm can escape detection, then this is a very bad deal for Israel. I guarantee if the bad guys have 1 silkworm, they've got more, or can get more from Iran.

Very ugly development. Am I right at being very concerned about this--based on my lack of military knowledge to any degree other than minor???

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5184018.stm

UK warships heading for Lebanon

Defence Secretary Des Browne has given orders for HMS Illustrious and HMS Bulwark to "make ready" for operations off Lebanon.

The pair will depart as soon as necessary, possibly within 24 hours.

No order for evacuating UK citizens has yet been given, but ministers and defence staff are considering a plan to evacuate those trapped in Lebanon.

'Contingency planning'

HMS Illustrious is currently in Gibraltar and HMS Bulwark is close to Spain.

The decision whether to proceed with an evacuation plan has not yet been taken and no orders have been given.

The Foreign Office has urged British citizens to keep a low profile and warned against travelling there.

Meetings on the evacuation plan are taking place at the Ministry of Defence.

An MoD spokeswoman said the two ships had been given "no specific tasking", but added: "As you would expect we are monitoring the situation closely and are engaging in prudent contingency planning."

"As part of this HMS Illustrious and HMS Bulwark will shortly head towards the region," she said.
                Presumably only to be used to help evacuate British and other western citizens from Lebanon..?

Comment

Jul. 15, 2006 21:26 | Updated Jul. 15, 2006 21:29
                  Palestinians seeking to assist Lebanon
                  By KHALED ABU TOAMEH
                  Ramallah

Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip have expressed their desire to travel to Lebanon to join Hizbullah in the current confrontation with Israel, Palestinian Authority security officials here said over the weekend.

"Many young men, including members of the Palestinian security forces, want to join the fight against Israel in Lebanon," one official told The Jerusalem Post. "We have thus far received hundreds of requests from people in the West Bank and Gaza Strip who expressed their desire to join the Lebanese resistance forces."

.... the PA leadership had no intention at this stage to dispatch security experts and recruits to Lebanon. "The Palestinian Authority has enough problems here," the official pointed out. "We need these men in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, where we are also under attack from Israel."

Fearing that Israel would target PA and Hamas officials living in Lebanon, the PA leadership on Saturday urged these officials to head to Syria. PA Ambassador to Lebanon Abbas Zaki said he had issued instructions to provide free transportation to all those carrying Palestinian passports to help them leave Lebanon.

"I know of at least 20 men who are prepared to go to Lebanon tomorrow morning to fight against Israel," said Zuheir Nasser, a PA security officer in Nablus. "The problem is that we don't have enough money to cover the expenses of travel. Also, as long as Israel controls the border crossings with Jordan, it's almost impossible for West Bankers to leave."
                  http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

Comment

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...276215,00.html

Olmert's associates: No ceasefire until abducted soldiers returned

Officials at the Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's office responded to the ceasefire request by Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Siniora and said that dismantling the Hizbullah and deploying the Lebanese army along the Israeli-Lebanese border are some of the objectives of the IDF operation.

They also said that "There won't be ceasefire until the two abducted soldiers are returned."
                    (Ronny Sofer)

Comment

seems simple enough--return the soldiers knuckleheads and quit whining!!! slap.

Comment

Warfare May Last Weeks or Months
                        22:50 Jul 15, '06 / 19 Tammuz 5766

(IsraelNN.com) According to most assessments, the current situation in northern Israel will continue for sometime, with analysts and military personnel speaking of “weeks or even months”.

It is being explained that Hizbullah has at least 10,000 rockets. At the rate of some 100 a day being fired into Israel, the warfare could continue for a prolonged period despite IDF efforts to knock out rocket storehouses in aerial assaults.

In addition, most commentators add that the C-802 rocket fired at a naval ship on Friday night came as a surprise, explaining the IDF was unaware that Hizbullah was armed with the Iranian rockets.
                        http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=107385

Must be that the Israeli's are not counting in either the UN or Solana to bring peace ...?

Comment

Someone correct me if I am wrong but was not the Silkworm developed
                          in China, seems like I remember hearing that years ago. Did Iran reproduce
                          them or are they getting them from our Chicom buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennken
                            Someone correct me if I am wrong but was not the Silkworm developed
                            in China, seems like I remember hearing that years ago. Did Iran reproduce
                            them or are they getting them from our Chicom buddies.

Correcto-mundia

C-802 / YJ-2 / Ying Ji-802
                            CSS-C-8 / SACCADE
                            C-8xx / YJ-22

The Ying-Ji-802 land attack and anti-ship cruise missile [Western designation SACCADE], is an improved version of the C-801 which employs a small turbojet engine in place of the original solid rocket engine. The weight of the subsonic (0.9 Mach) Yingji-802 is reduced from 815 kilograms to 715 kilograms, but its range is increased from 42 kilometers to 120 kilometers. The 165 kg. (363 lb.) warhead is just as powerful as the earlier version.

Since the missile has a small radar reflectivity and is only about five to seven meters above the sea surface when it attacks the target, and since its guidance equipment has strong anti-jamming capability, target ships have a very low success rate in intercepting the missile.

The hit probability of the Yingji-802 is estimated to be as high as 98 percent. The Yingji-802 can be launched from airplanes, ships, submarines and land-based vehicles, and is considered along with the US "Harpoon" as among the best anti-ship missiles of the present-day world.

Following the 1991 Gulf War Iran imported the C-802 antiship cruise missile from China. China suspended exports in 1996 in response to comlaints by the the United States. In December 1996 Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, John Shalikashivili, warned Chinese Defense Minister General Chi Haotian that arms exports would increase destabilizing factors in the region.

No international agreement bans transfers of anti-ship missiles, and the C-802 is not covered by the MTCR, which controls exports of ballistic and cruise missiles that can deliver 500 kg. warheads to 300 km.

Iran expected to purchase 150 C-802 missiles from China but only received a half of them because of the arms suspension. By mid-1997 Iran reportedly possessed some 60 of the missiles deployed in coastal batteries on Qeshm Island, a strategic point on the eastern side of the Arabian peninsula. In 1997, General J.H. Binford Peay, Central Command commander, said that China transferred 20 patrol boats with 15 equipped with C-802 missiles (Washington Times, January 29, 1997). [Some reports claim that China may have transferred hundreds of C-802s, although these claims are not widely attested].

In early 2000 it was reported that North Korea and Iran were jointly developing an advanced version of the C-802 cruise missile. These missiles initially acquired by Iran were not equipped with advanced systems, and the missiles acquired by Iran were rather outdated. Iran turned to North Korea for missile system technology, and the two countries are jointly developing an upgraded version with improved accuracy. ["N. Korea, Iran Jointly Develop Missile: Report" Korea Times February 17, 2000]
                            http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/m.../row/c-802.htm

Comment

Thanks, I am afraid they may have perfected the new version. Another
                              question is how many of the missiles did China deliver under the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennken
                                Thanks, I am afraid they may have perfected the new version. Another question is how many of the missiles did China deliver under the table.
                                Well actually the US Navy, in cooperation with several other nations has for 2 or 3 years been tracking and turning back North Korean ships headed to the ME with missiles on board - some were unloaded in Yemen and made their way north....

In one mystery instance over a year ago a North Korean vessel sunk for no apparent reason off of Israel's coastline....?

Comment

Working...
                                X