• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Israel VS Hamas Part III

Sat Update: Israeli troops, Palestinian gunmen clash
    By ALI DARAGHMEH, Associated Press Writer

NABLUS, West Bank - Israeli troops and Palestinian gunmen traded heavy fire Saturday during a standoff at a fugitives' hide-out, and doctors said a 16-year-old Palestinian was killed.

Twenty Palestinians were wounded in the clashes in the West Bank city of Nablus, the doctors said.

The standoff began early Saturday when Israeli troops surrounded a four-story apartment building where the army said two Palestinian fugitives were hiding. The troops called on the fugitives to surrender, but by mid-afternoon the wanted men were still inside the building.

The militants are believed to be explosives experts with the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, an offshoot of Fatah.

The Israeli army brought in bulldozers that partially demolished the walls of the building and destroyed a water tank. At one point, the building came under heavy automatic fire by the army.

The troops also returned fired at a neighboring house, where gunmen were seen shooting at the soldiers.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060826/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/754742.html

Last update - 02:41 25/08/2006
    Palestinians: At least 9 people hurt in IAF air strikes in Gaza

By The Associated Press

An Israel Air Force aircraft attacked two buildings in the Gaza Strip early Friday, wounding at least nine people, Palestinian officials said.

The first air strike targeted the home of a local militant leader in the northern town of Jabaliya.

Relatives of Salim Thabet, an activist of the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades in the northern town of Jabaliya, said the army told him to evacuate the home about 15 minutes before the air strike. The relatives said they were told to remain out of the area because more attacks were possible.

Hospital officials said the five people in a nearby house were moderately wounded.

The second air strike hit a two-story home in Gaza City, setting the structure on fire and causing heavy damage. Several nearby homes were damaged, and four people were moderately wounded, officials said.

Security officials said one missile fired at the home did not explode, and a bomb squad was called in to dismantle it.

The Israeli army said both air strikes had targeted weapons-storage facilities, and that it warned occupants to leave the areas before the attacks. The army, which carried out similar attacks earlier this week, says the warnings are meant to avoid civilian casualties.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...E0F403E3B2.htm

Israeli troops raid southern Gaza

Thursday 24 August 2006, 4:48 Makka Time, 1:48 GMT

Israeli soldiers crossed into the Gaza Strip early on Thursday and took up positions on rooftops in the southern Gaza border town of Abasan, Palestinian witnesses and security officials said.

The army confirmed that it was involved in activity in the southern Gaza Strip early on Thursday.

On Wednesday, a top Palestinian armed faction leader in the West Bank was shot in the head and seriously wounded, fighters and hospital officials said.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/ShTickers.html

04:43 Palestinian officials: IDF nabs Gazan Hamas leader, kills his brother (AP)

04:01 IDF troops move into southern Gaza (AP)

01:58 New Zealand officials `delighted` kidnapped Fox journalists alive in Gaza (AP)

00:20 IDF tank fire wounds Islamic Jihad gunman in Gaza (AP)

Looks like Gaza might be ramping up again.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...C54B72CBBF.htm

Israeli raid triggers Gaza clashes

Tuesday 22 August 2006, 6:25 Makka Time, 3:25 GMT

Three Palestinian resistance fighters have been wounded in clashes that broke out after Israeli tanks entered the eastern area of the Gaza Strip on Tuesday.

Witnesses said several Israeli tanks, supported by unmanned drones in the sky, entered Gaza near the Karni crossing, the main terminal for goods entering and leaving the densely populated strip, but it was not clear what their objective was.

The Israeli army said it was checking the report.

Israel has carried out repeated brief incursions into Gaza over the past six weeks, since launching an operation in late June to rescue a soldier captured by Palestinian fighters and to stop rocket fire from the strip into Israel.

Airstrikes

Earlier separate Israeli air strikes targeted houses in Jabalya, a district of Gaza City, in the northern part of the strip, and the southern Gaza town of Rafah, but there were no immediate reports of any casualties or damage.

Witnesses said residents had been warned to leave the buildings ahead of the strikes, which they said appeared to target the homes of members of Hamas and Islamic Jihad, two resistance groups.

In the meantime, Egypt deployed 1,300 civilian police officers to beef up security along the Gaza-Egypt border over fears that Palestinian militants might attempt to breach the frontier.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Something seems "different" in Israel and surrounding areas today.

http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=110544

IDF Tanks Return to Gaza, Soldiers Clash with Terrorists
    07:59 Aug 22, '06 / 28 Av 5766

(IsraelNN.com) Israeli tanks entered the Karni crossing area early Tuesday, and soldiers clashed with Arab terrorists, three of whom were injured.

The tanks were covered with unmanned drones. The Karni crossing is the transit point for goods and supplies entering the Gaza area and has been the frequent target of terrorist attacks.

(This was, I believe, the second place the IDF originally entered when Gaza first boiled over, Rafah was first.)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Unfortunately, there was a myth perpetrated in the 60's that said that if we throw money at a problem, it will go away. Sorry to say that the administrations in power since then have not seen the error of that philosphy. Actually, all it really does is breed resentment at the wealth and power of our nation.

However, since we have lost the Judeo-Christian principals upon which this nation was founded, money has become the answer and the god.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/752712.html

Last update - 23:13 20/08/2006

Shin Bet chief: Rise of terror in Gaza Strip is a strategic problem

By Gideon Alon, Haaretz Correspondent

The rise of terror in the Gaza Strip is a strategic problem, and if it isn't dealt with properly, in three to five years Israel will face the same reality in Gaza that exists in Lebanon, Shin Bet Chief Yuval Diskin said at the weekly cabinet meeting Sunday. "We don't need to wait three years, and then conduct investigations," he said

Diskin told ministers that the Philadelphi Route, along the Egyptian border, is breached, and several tons of explosives and hundreds of weapons have been smuggled through it. "The Palestinian Agriculture Minister, from Hamas, smuggled $1.5 million through the Rafah Crossing, and terror experts came in to the Strip," Diskin said. He regarded the Egyptian supervision of the crossings as ineffective and suggested reviewing agreements that were signed with the Egyptians last year.

Diskin noted that Hezbollah leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah is regarded among terrorist groups as a national hero. Hezbollah streams large sums of money into the West Bank and encourages terror attacks against Israel. According to Diskin, terrorist groups have understood the power of anti-tank rockets, guerrilla warfare, and holing up in bunkers, tactics employed by Hezbollah in south Lebanon, and will try to bring these methods to the Gaza Strip.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Lay it to Heart
    Please help me out on this one. I can't think of what it would be.
    Psa 50:13 I don't need the bulls you sacrifice; I don't need the blood of goats.
    Psa 50:14 What I want instead is your true thanks to God; I want you to fulfill your vows to the Most High.
    Psa 50:15 Trust me in your times of trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory."
    Psa 50:16 But God says to the wicked: "Recite my laws no longer, and don't pretend that you obey me.
    Psa 50:17 For you refuse my discipline and treat my laws like trash.
    Psa 50:18 When you see a thief, you help him, and you spend your time with adulterers.
    Psa 50:19 Your mouths are filled with wickedness, and your tongues are full of lies.
    Psa 50:20 You sit around and slander a brother- your own mother's son.
    Psa 50:21 While you did all this, I remained silent, and you thought I didn't care. But now I will rebuke you, listing all my charges against you.
    Psa 50:22 Repent, all of you who ignore me, or I will tear you apart, and no one will help you.
    Psa 50:23 But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me. If you keep to my path, I will reveal to you the salvation of God."

Edited to add: This scripture came to my attention when Israel started talking about giving up land when Sharon was in office...nothing happened Then Israel then started to make moves to remove the people...nothing happened. Israel then removed the people from their land...."nothing" happened...or did it? (Sharon's first stroke, minor and he spent a week drawing out plans for further implementation when he had the 2nd stroke.)

A rabbi was saying, don't take God's "silence" on the matter as a sign of approval and mentioned the scripture. Since then I have kind of watched and noticed, man seems to take a little step, pause, go a little further, pause....and this comes to mind when we get those "pauses".

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Biblenuggetlady
    ...There is a scripture that warns....do not take my silence as approval...
    Please help me out on this one. I can't think of what it would be.

Leave a comment:

• wendyj
    replied

Then aren't we studpid that after all these years our governments have not encouraged other means of energy and mobility. Research and development and weaing ourselves off oil would have been prudent!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Tennken
    Is it me are does anyone else find it alarming at the number of
    Muslim countries that rank near the top of countries receiving aid.
    It seems like we are trying to buy there friendship, they are taking
    our money and in most cases trying to find ways to fire it back at us.
    It is similar to what Japan did in WWII with all the scrap metal we sold
    them.
    IT'S ALL ABOUT THE OIL!!!

Always has been; always will be.head:

Leave a comment:

• Tennken
    replied

Welcome to WEDG David,

Is it me are does anyone else find it alarming at the number of
    Muslim countries that rank near the top of countries receiving aid.
    It seems like we are trying to buy there friendship, they are taking
    our money and in most cases trying to find ways to fire it back at us.
    It is similar to what Japan did in WWII with all the scrap metal we sold
    them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Many people believe that

that Israel receives more "foreign aid" from the US each year than any other nation on earth.
    I've been told Israel is actually #9 on the list of top aid recipients.

I checked with Google, and came across these three very different sets of numbers:

United States 2003-2004
    Top Ten Recipients of gross ODA/OA
    2.29 Iraq
    0.80 Congo, Dem. Rep.
    0.77 Egypt
    0.74 Russia (OA)
    0.67 Jordan
    0.63 Afghanistan
    0.59 Pakistan
    0.54 Columbia
    0.53 Israel (OA)
    0.50 Ethiopia
    (in billions of U.S. dollars)
    http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Debt/USAid.asp

Figure 4. Top Foreign Aid Recipients, FY2004
    18.44 Iraq
    2.62 Israel
    1.87 Egypt
    1.77 Afghanistan
    0.57 Columbia
    0.56 Jordan
    0.39 Pakistan
    0.21 Liberia
    0.17 Peru
    0.16 Ethiopia
    0.15 Bolivia
    "Foreign Aid: An Introductory Overview of U.S. Programs and Policy"
    by Curt Tarnoff and Larry Nowels
    2004-04-15
    http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/31987.pdf

U.S. Foreign Aid: 1995 to 1997
    1997:
    1.20 Israel
    0.81 Egypt
    0.67 West Bank / Gaza
    0.18 Bosnia Hercegovina
    0.18 Russia
    0.15 Jordan
    0.13 Bolivia
    0.13 Peru
    0.13 India
    0.12 Ukraine
    0.10 Haiti
    http://census.gov/prod/2001pubs/statab/sec28.pdf

I'm not sure these are really measuring the same thing.
    Is there a better source for "foreign aid" information?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

www.haaretz.com

16:00 Russia calls on Israel to free Palestinian parliament speaker (AP)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X