Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Israel VS Hiz-Bullies Part II (MERGED THREAD)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Israel VS Hiz-Bullies Part II (MERGED THREAD)

21:24 IDF says damage to Israel Navy ship caused by rockets fired from shore (Reuters)

21:08 Israeli navy says warship off Beirut lightly hit; no injuries reported (Ch. 2)

20:59 Hezbollah`s Nasrallah declares `all-out` warfare against Israel (Channel 10)

20:57 Nasrallah: Hezbollah will attack targets south of Haifa (Channel 10)

20:56 Nasrallah says Hezbollah is ready for `open war` with Israel (AP)

20:47 Nasrallah: I am sure that most of Lebanon wants to stand side by side with us (Ch. 2)

20:46 Nasrallah: Lebanon can either surrender or have faith in Allah and victory (Ch. 2)

www.haaretz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kookey
      I heard something in passing about the border of Egypt.
      Does anyone know what it was about?
      The one border crossing between Gaza and Egypt has been closed for about two weeks - i.e. since the IDF moved into southern Gaza.

There were 100s of Pallys that had been "visiting" relatives in Egypt - or were students, etc that were essentially trapped there in a no-mans' land unable to get into Gaza - or return to Egypt....

....of course mixed in with these presumed "innocents" were numerous arms, ammo and drug smugglers trying to bring items into Gaza....

Israel had offered to allow these "trapped" individuals to move a short distance and then enter from Egypt into Israeli territory - and from there into Gaza....

The Hamas gov't refused to allow this since it meant these "persons" would be subject to Israeli security checks and seizure of illegal goods etc...

So to resolve it the Pally terrorists simply blew a big hole in the border fence and allowed every one to rush in at once...

Comment

Ahmadinejad issues more "taunts" toward Israel and the US - kind of like a "double-dog dare" - you can't touch me....na-na-na-nah...

Jul. 14, 2006 19:31
        Iran says it's out of Israel's reach
        By ASSOCIATED PRESS
        TEHERAN, Iran

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Friday that Israel could not harm Iran, even as it expanded its offensive into Lebanon to target the Iranian-backed Hizbullah, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

"Despite the barbaric and criminal nature of the occupiers of Jerusalem, the regime and its Western supporters do not even have the power to give Iran a nasty look," the agency quoted Ahmadinejad as saying in Osku, in northwestern Iran.

His declaration came just hours after he warned Israel against extending its Lebanon assault into neighboring Syria, saying such a move would be seen as an attack against the whole Islamic world.
        http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

Comment

Under-fire Syria 'ready for anything'
          Syria is bracing itself for "any eventuality" as the regime nervously eyes a relentless Israeli operation over the border in Lebanon and faces up to increasingly hostile US rhetoric.

"Syria is in confrontation with Israel. It is watching the situation and is ready to defend itself against any eventuality," said Elias Murad, editor of the ruling Baath party newspaper Al-Baath.

He expressed fear of an "extension of the Israeli operation in the south of Lebanon or towards Syria," a move that would open a third front on top of Israel's continuing operations in Lebanon and the Gaza Strip.

An irate Israel has lumped Damascus together in an "axis of terror" with Iran over their backing for Hezbollah, whose capture of two Israeli soldiers sparked the Lebanon offensive that has already left more than 60 people dead.

US Syria expert Joshua Landis said that for all the US frustration with Syria, Damascus is feeling more confident than it has for years with the United States bogged down in Iraq and apparently failing to make headway with Iran.

"Syria is feeling strong. It can now go on the offensive. Damascus feels confident that Washington cannot counter-attack at this time. It has few arrows left in its quiver," said the University of Oklahoma professor on his website.

the whole article
          http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060714...n_060714181842

Comment

Originally posted by TomT
            Ahmadinejad issues more "taunts" toward Israel and the US - kind of like a "double-dog dare" - you can't touch me....na-na-na-nah...

Jul. 14, 2006 19:31
            Iran says it's out of Israel's reach
            By ASSOCIATED PRESS
            TEHERAN, Iran

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
            I would not want to bet my life that Iran is out of reach of Israel. I seem
            to remember Isreael buying 3 submarines from Germany a few years ago, I
            think they should have some capacity to launch tomahawk missiles.

Comment

Not only do they have ships, we have ships in the Persian Gulf again and I am pretty sure that Pres. Bush would use them to come to the defense of Israel should Iran start doing more than blabbing.

Comment

US Syria expert Joshua Landis said that for all the US frustration with Syria, Damascus is feeling more confident than it has for years with the United States bogged down in Iraq and apparently failing to make headway with Iran.

"Syria is feeling strong. It can now go on the offensive. Damascus feels confident that Washington cannot counter-attack at this time. It has few arrows left in its quiver," said the University of Oklahoma professor on his website.
                OK they need to back way away from the opium water pipe they've been smoking and sober up -

.....if need be the US could (to borrow a phrase) wipe Syria off the map - leaving only a "glow in the dark" glass parking lot....

Comment

Originally posted by Tennken
                  I would not want to bet my life that Iran is out of reach of Israel. I seem
                  to remember Isreael buying 3 submarines from Germany a few years ago, I
                  think they should have some capacity to launch tomahawk missiles.

Likewise Israel has some really good long range missiles that are very accurate and can carry nuclear warheads if need-be - and a fair number of fighter-bomber aircraft with the right range and loads of bunker busters....

Comment

Originally posted by TomT
                    OK they need to back way away from the opium water pipe they've been smoking and sober up -

.....if need be the US could (to borrow a phrase) wipe Syria off the map - leaving only a "glow in the dark" glass parking lot....
                    ROFLOL that was good, thanks for the laugh.

Comment

Warship hit by Hizbullah off Beirut shore sustains heavy damage

An Israeli warship operating off the shore of Beirut sustained heavy damage after being hit by rockets fired by Hizbullah, the army says. (Hanan Greenberg)
                      http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...275807,00.html

This, and the continued massive rocket attacks on Israeli cities (killing just today a grandmother and her young grandson - and wounding hundreds more) will only serve to make Israel strike back that much harder....

Comment

I'm surprised their ships don't have the same anti-missile/rocket defense systems ours do. Radar-guided gun turrets of capable tracking and shooting thousands of rounds very rapidly at any incoming projectile.

Am I way off base here?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                          I'm surprised their ships don't have the same anti-missile/rocket defense systems ours do. Radar-guided gun turrets of capable tracking and shooting thousands of rounds very rapidly at any incoming projectile.

Am I way off base here?
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

The Phalanx CIWS (Close-in weapon system, pronounced see-whizz) is an anti-missile system that was designed and manufactured by the General Dynamics Corporation, Pomona Division. It is now manufactured by the Raytheon Company. It is used by the United States Navy on every class of surface combat ship in its fleet and is used by navies of over twenty allied nations.

Because of its distinctive barrel-shaped radome, Phalanx CIWS units are usually nicknamed R2-D2, after the famous droid from Star Wars.
                          Israel does no have this - although I read just the other day where they are reconsidering it's use on land to help knock down some of the many missiles - one of the problems is that so many of these terrorist missiles are relatively small in size - the Phalanx system was designed to take out larger - high-speed anti-ship missiles

Comment

Phalanx Laser defense

Israel is in talks to buy a U.S.-made laser to shoot down Palestinian rockets. Security sources said Tuesday that Defense Minister Amir Peretz, under pressure to stem rocket salvos from the Gaza Strip, has voiced interest in the Skyguard system designed by Northrop Grumman.

The Skyguard is a more mobile and cost-effective version of the Nautilus, a laser missile-killer that was developed by Israel's Defense Ministry and Northrop Grumman since the late 1990s but shelved out of budgetary concerns. While the Skyguard uses a laser to heat incoming rockets, blowing them up in mid-air, another system that has drawn Israeli interest is the Phalanx heavy machine gun.

Developed by Raytheon, the Phalanx automatically locks on to incoming shells and shreds them with 20-millimeter bullets. The system is undergoing field trials with U.S. forces in Iraq and there is no word on when it might be exported.
                            July 12, 2006

http://www.washingtonjewishweek.com/...541&TM=113.119

Also here:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L09680941.htm

Comment

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy.asp?id=146

Increase in ships away.

Comment

An explosives-laden drone seriously hit an Israel Navy warship off the coast of Beirut causing serious damage to its steering capabilites, Israel Defense Forces confirmed on Friday night.

"Now in the middle of the sea, facing Beirut, the Israeli warship that has attacked the infrastructure, people's homes and civilians - look at it burning," Hezbollah's leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah said.
                                http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/S...ubContrassID=0

Shortly after 8:30 p.m. on Friday sources reported that an Israeli Navy gunship was hit in its helm, close to the ship’s helipad. A fire that broke out as a result was quickly extinguished... A closer examination found that the strike cause extended damage to the vessel, and foreign news services reported of four missing crewmembers.....The ship was operating some 16 kilometers off the Beirut shore when it was attacked.
                                http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...275792,00.html

Comment

Working...
                                X