Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Israeli VS Hamas Part I (MERGED Threads)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSNBC: Israeli forces push into Gaza, planes hit targets (MERGED)

Originally posted by Tennken
    This thing is getting more serious each day or maybe by the hour. The
    statement by Israel's P.M. this morning seems to point at Syrian and
    maybe Iran being in there crosshairs. Our time on this earth may be
    getting very short. The situation seems ripe for someone to step
    in and declare peace(though temporary)
    Agreed - the repeated warnings by Olmert and others aimed directly at Damascus make me go ! That plus the article I posted where Olmert speaks of a "long war"....

One could infer that if the young soldier turns up dead that Israel would strike at the Hamas leadership in Damascus and in turn bring the Arab nations into action?

Comment

Originally posted by TomT
      One could infer that if the young soldier turns up dead that Israel would strike at the Hamas leadership in Damascus and in turn bring the Arab nations into action?

With several members of the goverment of Egypt calling for either a
      recall of the Egyptian ambassador to Israel or a complete break in
      relations, we may be entering a regional war, the question is how
      long will it be regional before Russia and the U.S. are involved. I know
      it sounds like a Cold War senerio but wars are easy to start but hard
      to stop.

Comment

The whole Syrian connection is a continuing problem. While the official US line is that the "insurgents" in Iraq are coming from Iran--I find it hard to believe that good old Syria isn't involved in it.

Which makes me wonder if the US wouldn't give a silent nod to Israel going into Syria. No doubt that if Israel strikes Damascus, things are going to go from hot to boiling really quickly. I don't see the Arab world backing down, like some have proposed. And that scenario makes me very nervous

Tom, what do you think about the potential for the US silently backing Israel's little excursion into Syria?

Comment

Originally posted by Glorify Him
          Tom, what do you think about the potential for the US silently backing Israel's little excursion into Syria?
          I seem to be in the minority holding the opinion that the Bush administration is currently strongly rooting (albeit behind the scenes and non-publically) for Israel to fully destroy the current Hamas gov't.

However given the much wider implications for a major ME war to breakout overnight if Damascus is attacked, I seriously doubt that the US would even silently support such a move by Israel - with our troops setting in Iraq we could be drawn into the fighting very quickly.

Comment

Militants (TERRORISTS) Holding Soldier Say No More Info

By RAVI NESSMAN

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip Jul 4, 2006 (AP)— Militants (TERRORISTS) holding an Israeli soldier said Tuesday they would give no further information about him because Israel ignored a deadline to release Palestinian prisoners. Israel insisted it would not negotiate with the Hamas-linked militants.

The captors set a 6 a.m. Tuesday (11 p.m. EDT Monday) deadline for Israel to begin freeing about 1,500 prisoners, implying they would kill Cpl. Gilad Shalit if their demands were not met.

Abu Muthana, spokesman for the shadowy Army of Islam, would not say whether the 19-year-old soldier was dead or alive.

"We will not give any information that will give the occupation good news or reassurance," he told The Associated Press
            http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ory?id=2150854

It really angers me that even in these types of situations that the likes of ABC cannot bring themselves to call terrorists what they really are....

Comment

Tom, I agree with you that Pres. Bush would probably like to hit Syria hard but would be reluctant to have the US associated with any strike by Israel.

BTW, you seem to be changing your avatar as fast as I can type! Some good images though--I like the flag.

Comment

Originally posted by Glorify Him
                Tom, I agree with you that Pres. Bush would probably like to hit Syria hard but would be reluctant to have the US associated with any strike by Israel.

BTW, you seem to be changing your avatar as fast as I can type! Some good images though--I like the flag.
                Was trying to show my support for the IDF in Gaza, and now with July 4th and the shuttle set to go up I had to make yet another switch...

Comment

Serious escalation...........

Jul. 4, 2006 19:52 | Updated Jul. 4, 2006 21:26
                  PM: This is an escalation of hostilities like none other
                  By JPOST.COM STAFF

Despite ongoing IDF operations in the northern Gaza Strip, a Kassam rocket landed Tuesday evening in Ashkelon proper - the first time the city center has witnessed such an attack.

No one was wounded in the attack, despite the fact that the rocket hit a school in a populated area in the south of the city. Children playing soccer outside the ORT-Ronson High School on Rehov Ben Zvi were thrown back by the force of the explosion, witnesses reported, but were unharmed. The school suffered some damage.

Security officials described the Kassam as "upgraded," featuring two engines. Police Cmdr. Uri Barlev said that security forces had seen this type of rocket in the past. "This type of missile has landed in other places," he said.

Hamas' military wing, Izzadin al-Kassam, claimed responsibility for the attack, adding that the rocket had been upgraded to achieve a range of over 15 kilometers. Security officials reported that the rocket was launched from the open territory between the former northern Gaza settlements of Nisanit and Dugit.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...ticle/ShowFull
                  A Moment Gone Is Lost Forever
                  A Moment In Prayer Will Last Forever

Comment

• Re: Rocket Hits School in Ashkelen

This talks about the qassam rocket a bit more, Olmert considers this a "major escalation" :
                    http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/734605.html

A Qassam rocket landed at the center of the southern city of Ashkelon for the first time on Tuesday evening, hitting the ORT Ronson High School building, causing light damage to the structure but no injuries.

Hamas - via its military wing, the Iz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades - later claimed credit for the rocket attack, the deepest ever a Qassam has reached into Israeli territory

Comment

• Knesset Bill Would Ban Terror-Supporting MKs

Knesset Bill Would Ban Terror-Supporting MKs
                      http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=106590
                      20:09 Jul 04, '06 / 8 Tammuz 5766
                      by Nissan Ratzlav-Katz

The Knesset House Committee today agreed to forgo the standard 45-day waiting period for a preliminary vote on a bill that would ban MKs expressing support for terrorism from future Knessets.

"The Arab MKs(in Israel's Knesset) are joining Hamas's blood dance and should be banned from the Knesset. They support and encourage Hamas against the IDF and against the state and therefore they have no place in the Knesset," said Orlev. On Thursday, Orlev said that the statements by Arab MKs led him to ask himself if he was "in the Knesset or in the Palestinian Authority legislature."
                      -----------------------------------------

(Sure hope that law passes super fast & w/great ease.)

Comment

I think that is about time, I get aggravated when I hear members of
                        our congress being critical of our polices, but at least to my knowledge
                        have not spoken out and supported the enemy. If a MK wants to
                        support Humas, he/she should be treated like Humas.

Comment

• Hamas Charities Closed for Terror Activity

Hamas Charities Closed for Terror Activity
                          http://www.israelnn.com/news.php3?id=106474

11:07 Jul 03, '06 / 7 Tammuz 5766
                          by Hillel Fendel

IDF forces in Judea and Samaria, accompanied by Civil Administration officials, closed down last night 9 public Hamas charity institutions apparently serving as fronts for terrorist operations. The organizations were issued with orders closing them down for one year. Army Radio reports that the IDF has received intelligence information indicating that the charity activities were only a cover for the streaming of monies to terrorists and families of suicide bombers.

"Instead of the money going to real charitable purposes and to needy people," said a high-ranking officer leading the mission, "it is used for terrorist purposes, suicide bombers and their families." Hundreds of documents, dozens of computers and technical equipment were confiscated and are now being studied and analyzed to find connections between the institutions and the Hamas terror activity...

Comment

NEW Sticky thread here:

http://wedg.millenniumweekend.org/fo...ead.php?t=8833

Comment

Jul. 12, 2006 9:37 | Updated Jul. 12, 2006 10:43
                              4 wounded in heavy barrage of Katyushas and mortars
                              By YAAKOV KATZ

Hizbullah launched a heavy barrage of Katyusha rockets and mortar shells at IDF positions and communities along the northern frontier on Wednesday morning.

One rocket scored a direct hit on a house in Shtula. Magen David Adom said they were treating four people, one who was in moderate condition and three lightly wounded. All the wounded were being evacuated to Nahariya hospital.

IDF sources estimated that the attack was a Hizbullah response to Israel's early Wednesdayattempted strike on top Hamas terrorist Mohammad Deif in Gaza. IAF helicopters were returning fire.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...ticle/ShowFull

It appears the northern border is becoming active, you can bet that
                              a response will be coming shortly.

Comment

NY Times strikes again...
                                Arutz Sheva

NY Times Labels Israel 'Occupiers'
                                10:30 Jul 12, '06 / 16 Tammuz 5766

(IsraelNN.com) The New York Times labeled Israel as "occupiers" as the IDF widened its offensive against the terrorist infrastructure in the Gaza region. Although the article itself does not use the term, the headline states, "Once Again, Gazans Are Displaced by Israeli Occupiers." The headline later was edited to read, "Israel Expands Offensive, Moving Into Central Gaza."

The article reports a Gazan family's economic difficulties and quotes United Nations officials who deny Israeli claims that there is not a humanitarian crisis in the area. After citing Israel's statements of massive imports of fuel and food, the Times report focuses on the interruptions in residents' lives and quotes them as saying that Israeli forces "shoot at anything moving at night," regardless of whether people are civilians.

Comment

Working...
                                X