X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ezekiel 36 and the Mountains of Israel.

I got this from a study that was sent to me - Ryszard if you're reading this, thank you for this portion of the study you sent:

Originally posted by Ryszard
    Who is "Gog"? Which land is the land of "Magog"?

Some people think that "Gog" is the Devil. But does the context support this idea?
    Ezekiel wrote that after "Gog's" last attack he will fall and then be buried by the people. (Ez.39:4,11) So there is no need to prove that "Gog" represents the Devil as we know that the devil does not have a body of flesh and bone and has no need for a grave. Thus, in actuality, whom does "Gog" symbolize?

"Gog" is the chief prince of Meschech and Tubal.

"Meshech, the sixth son of Japheth (Genesis 10:2) is the founder of a tribe (1 Chronicles 1:5; Ezekiel 27:13; 38:2,3). They were in all probability the Moschi people, inhabiting the Moschian Mountains, between the Black and the Caspian Seas. In Psalms 120:5 the name occurs simply as a synonym for foreigners or barbarians. "During the ascendency of the Babylonians and Persians in Western Asia, the Moschi were subdued; but it seems probable that a large number of them crossed the Caucasus range and spread over the northern steppes, mingling with the Scythians. There they became known as Muscovs and gave this name to the Russian nation and its ancient capital by which they are still generally known throughout the East" (Easton's Bible Dictionary).

Many ancient sources have clearly identified "Magog" as referring to the "Scythians".
    One of the earliest references to Magog was made by Hesiod, "the father of Greek didactic poetry" who identified Magog with the Scythians and southern Russia in the 7th century B.C. Hesiod was a contemporary of Ezekiel.

Josephus Flavius clearly identified Magog. "Magog founded the Magogians, thus named after him, but who were by the Greeks called Scythians". (Josephus, Antiquities, 1.123; Jerome, Commentary on Ezekiel 38:2)

The Greek historian Herodotus wrote that in the fifth century B.C. the Scythians ruled from the Don River, in present southern Russia, to the Carpathian Mountains in central Europe.

Philo, is another historian in the first century A.D. who identified "Magog" with southern Russia.

Ancient authorities clearly identified the Scythians as the ancestors of the present day Russians.

However, even without that information, the identity of "Magog" is not too difficult to figure out. In Ezekiel 38:15, it says: "And thou shalt come from thy place out of the north parts, thou, and many people with thee". The "north parts" is literally the "extreme, or uttermost" parts of the north.
    I personally see Ezekiel 38 being a Russian-led band of Islamic powers as Hal says in his article as quoted by PB. The list of nations there never had a tie-in to each other until Islam began taking over their governments - now we have a tie-in...something the older scholars never quite understood (why this particular list of nations). To me it's just really neat to see things lining up to fulfil prophecy.

Comment

Originally posted by WasLostNowFound
      "Leading the Islamic alliance, according to Ezekiel, is Persia, (modern Iran)."

Ez 38 does not really say that. I've always wondered who actually leads the invasion, and in the context of the entire chapter, it appears to be Gog.

WLNF
      I think he's saying that Persia is the first nation listed with Gog in the invasion - not that Persia is actually leading the charge.

Comment

Andy: please answer my question I posed to PB about the Hal Lindsay article: he mentions the Islamic countries AND YET Egypt, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon are NOT mentioned at all by Ezekiel. How is it possible that Ezekiel did not bother to include them? Also a note about MaGog. Everybody seems to think that it is perfectly OK to trace where people groups moved over the years (eg. The MaGogites mixed with Scythians and settled in Russia) Well why is it we assume Egypt in prophecy is modern Egypt when the inhabitants of ancient Egypt got scattered all over the place when the arab (semite) tribes invaded? For that matter we should assume that Israel is actually America because more Jews still live in USA than in Israel. Where does that all end? I am interested in your answers to these two questions Andy.
        Last edited by HSB; 02-14-2006, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HSB
          . . . For that matter we should assume that Israel is actually America because more Jews still live in USA than in Israel. . .
          LOL.... I sure hope, in that case, that the "Mountains of Israel" are not the Rockies, stretching from Montana to New Mexico!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
            I think he's saying that Persia is the first nation listed with Gog in the invasion - not that Persia is actually leading the charge.
            Aha! Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by HSB
              On a more serious note notice that Hal L says "Together with the Islamic nations of North Africa and the Mediterranean Middle East, Ezekiel says they will constitute an invasion force that will move against the nation of Israel"

I ask you PB whom is Hal referring to when he says "the Islamic nations of the Mediterranean Middle East"? Is he referring to Egypt? Syria? Lebanon? even Jordan?
              HSB...when I read Hal's article, the words "Mediterranean Middle East" jumped out at me. I just guessed that he meant Egypt, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan because they are located all together in that particular area.

Comment

Originally posted by HSB
                Andy: please answer my question I posed to PB about the Hal Lindsay article: he mentions the Islamic countries AND YET Egypt, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon are NOT mentioned at all by Ezekiel. How is it possible that Ezekiel did not bother to include them? Also a note about MaGog. Everybody seems to think that it is perfectly OK to trace where people groups moved over the years (eg. The MaGogites mixed with Scythians and settled in Russia) Well why is it we assume Egypt in prophecy is modern Egypt when the inhabitants of ancient Egypt got scattered all over the place when the arab (semite) tribes invaded? For that matter we should assume that Israel is actually America because more Jews still live in USA than in Israel. Where does that all end? I am interested in your answers to these two questions Andy.
                There's no clear answer from scripture but I personally believe it's highly possible that Egypt may have suffered a defeat in war earlier that renders it temporarily unable to get into the mix. Syria/Lebanon - well, that one I point to Isaiah 17:1. I don't believe there is ANY mention of Syria or Lebanon (the main support arm for Lebanon) in any end times prophecy except for this passage. I have a feeling that will occur before Ezekiel 38.

As for Jordan - what if the AC is from Jordan? Would that stand to reason then that the nation wouldn't join in on this attack attempt?

I catagorically reject Israel being America (IMHO). The promises to Abraham are very specifically laid out by land, not by the people. As such I believe either America will be wiped out or the Jews here will flee to Israel - or both.

Comment

Daniel 11:41 says that Jordan is the only country not to be under (escape ?)the AC's controol so its not likely the AC is from Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by lewishb
                    Daniel 11:41 says that Jordan is the only country not to be under (escape ?)the AC's controol so its not likely the AC is from Jordan
                    Perhaps but - by the time Daniel 11:41 comes along the AC has moved his HQ to Jerusalem (11:45) and I believe that IF he comes from Jordan the reason Jordan escapes his attack is because it is his home country and he won't destroy his own people.

Comment

Perhaps but - by the time Daniel 11:41 comes along the AC has moved his HQ to Jerusalem (11:45) and I believe that IF he comes from Jordan the reason Jordan escapes his attack is because it is his home country and he won't destroy his own people.
                      OR perhaps....... the AC has a close working relationship with the Jordanian King
                      Last edited by cnav; 02-14-2006, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Andy: I was only kidding saying perhaps Israel is America since more Jews live there than in Israel proper. My point was that Hal Lindsay and others see no problem in following migrant groups when it suits their particular interpretation.but enough said.
                        Also Egypt better hurry up and "suffer a defeat" that renders it unable to join Gog's mix. The Lindsay suporters have Gog and his "horde" including the Iranians with their new bomb halfway through the door to Israel already. Get ready to see America's Jews flee to israel en masse and very soon!
                        PlumBob...hope the "Mountains of Israel" don't come right through your "hidey hole" out west. Just when you thought no one would miss you tip toeing away to the hole when things heat up....
                        Tasarwen: WELCOME TO THE DISCUSSION!
                        cnav, lewis, was lost and plumbob.. I always enjoy your comments and insights.
                        Last edited by HSB; 02-14-2006, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HSB
                          PlumBob...hope the "Mountains of Israel" don't come right through your "hidey hole" out west. Just when you thought no one would miss you tip toeing away to the hole when things heat up
                          Perhaps we could make them out to be the Adirondacks? - but alas, my friend, I fear that they really are the Blue Mountains (of Ontario)

Comment

Perhaps we could make them out to be the Adirondacks? - but alas, my friend, I fear that they really are the Blue Mountains (of Ontario)
                            Hey.......watch it Plum Bob....I only live 45 min. from there

Comment

There a lot's of reasons nations may not appear in Ezekiel 38. Damascus may have been wiped out by then per Isaiah 17. Gaza may be wiped out by the the "smoke" from the north at the appointed time in Isaiah 14:24-32. Egypt may be set back like a city of destruction because the "heart of Egypt" melts in the midst of it like it has a nuclear meltdown in Isaiah 19.

Comment

[QUOTE=HSB]Andy: I was only kidding saying perhaps Israel is America since more Jews live there than in Israel proper. [QUOTE]

I knew you weren't serious but I also know how many people have heard that particular line of teaching - I know I sure have. They spiritualize/symbolize scripture (I call it scriptural gymnastics) to twist it into meaning things like that. I'm sure we've all heard that the US is Babylon, Israel, Soddom, etc, etc.

Thanks for an incredible discussion in this thread! I guess we need to coin a new phrase: Good threads never die.

Comment

Working...
                                X