X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ezekiel 36 and the Mountains of Israel.

suggested reading re future of Gaza after evacuations this summer:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0405/glick040305.php3 and

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/030...inter_friendly

Comment

update from Debka on the number of applications for resettlement:

Only 8 applications for compensation have been submitted by potential evacuees from 25 Gaza and N. West Bank communities. Before compensation eligibility commission held its first session Monday night, its chairman Bassi had claimed 200 applications received

Comment

A loaded question to those who regularly participate on this thread:

How do you think the new pope will affect prophecy for the near future?

I have not yet determined an answer for myself. Any and all thoughts regarding the new pope will be taken into consideration for my own decision-making.

Thanks!

Carol

Comment

I am interested in the thoughts of others on this question. The traditional position of the RC church has viewed Israel with suspicion. Replacement theology would prefer that the country not even exist. John Paul was one of the first popes to reach out to Israel and visit the place. However Catholics believe firmly that the Church has replaced Israel so the Old Covenants are no longer in effect. I suppose there is a healthy concern for justice for all sides to the conflict in the Middle East. I am concerned that a new pope will adopt a far more pluralistic approach to world religions. Personally I will miss John Paul. I have seen him up close a number of times and read a number of his books. He was a brilliant thinker and very moral man.,Watch out for catholic efforts to gain control over holy sites in the Old City of Jerusalem.

from ArutzSheva:
          Reactions to Pope´s Death
          15:33 Apr 03, '05 / 23 Adar 5765

Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom has called the death of Pope John Paul II a "great loss for all humanity." The Pope is credited with improving Jewish-Catholic relations, though many questions remain.

"He promoted inter-faith understanding and dialogue," Shalom said, "with a willingness to address the past, and a profound determination to build a future of understanding and brotherhood between all faiths."

In 1993, Pope John Paul II formalized relations with Israel, leading to the first exchange of ambassadors between Israel and the Vatican. He is also said to be the first pope to visit a synagogue - he visited the Orthodox Synagogue in Rome in April 1986 – and the first to visit the President of Israel at his residence and the Chief Rabbis of Israel at the Rabbinate.

The OU - the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America - released a statement of "great sadness [at] the passing of Pope John Paul II. The historic and landmark contributions that he made to Catholic-Jewish relations were pioneering and invaluable. The Pope’s denunciation of anti-Semitism as a sin against God, which he made as he traveled around the world, is all the more important in light of the alarming trends we see today."

Associate Premier Shimon Peres stated that he was "extremely saddened by the death of Pope John Paul II... [He] was a true spiritual leader whose leadership extended beyond his traditional flock and believers, embracing the entire human family... His actions and statements transformed relations between the Catholic and Jewish faiths, and made a fundamental impact on the struggle against anti-Semitism."

On the other hand, in February 2000, the Pope and Yasser Arafat issued a joint condemnation of any unilateral decision that would "change the unique character of Jerusalem," terming such a decision "legally and morally invalid." Arafat and the Pope, meeting in the Vatican, called for an international status to be granted to Jerusalem.

In an article on John Paul II's relationship with the Jews, Political Science Prof. Sergio Itzhak Minerbi – Israel's former Ambassador to the Ivory Coast, Belgium, and others, as well as an expert on Catholic-Jewish relations – writes, "No other pope has displayed such a strong interest in... trying to find a common ground between Catholicism and Judaism. But while some people have enthusiastically received the words of this pope as those of a great friend of the Jews, others have remained critical."

"The main criticism against Pope John Paul II," Minerbi writes, "is his constant effort to Christianize the Shoah (Holocaust)." When the Pope visited Auschwitz in June 1979, he compared Auschwitz - where over a million Jews were murdered – to Golgotha, the hill where Jesus was crucified.

"The will of the Pope and the Polish Church to stress the Christian character of the Holocaust is clear," according to Minerbi. "In every former death camp there is today a chapel, a church or a cross, even if all the inmates had been Jews... [It could be that] the Pope wanted to transform the Shoah into a martyrdom of the Catholic Polish nation. As a result, it is feared that the Church will teach Catholics in future generations that the Shoah was mainly a Catholic tragedy, or at the very least, that this is a way to avoid any responsibility for the Shoah, since the Church itself was a 'victim' of the Nazis."

In addition, the date of the beatification of Jewish-born nun Edith Stein, who was murdered in Auschwitz, became "Holocaust Day" for the Catholic Church. Her canonization was done in opposition to many Jewish groups, and John Paul II eulogized her as having died "as a daughter of Israel for the glorification of the holy name of God and at the same time as Nun Teresa Benedicta of the Cross."

The late Pope John Paul II wrote in 1998 that the Shoah "remains an indelible stain on the history of the century that is coming to a close." However, he accepts little blame on behalf of Christianity: "The Shoah was the work of a thoroughly modern, neo-pagan regime. Its anti-Semitism had its roots outside of Christianity." The Pope admits, however, that Nazi persecutions "were made easier by the anti-Jewish prejudice imbedded in some Christian minds and hearts."

Pope John Paul II very often defended Pope Pius XII, who remained silent in the face of the Nazi genocide. "Whatever his reasons," of which there are several, Minerbi wrote about Pius, "it is clear that when he had to chose between the moral duty of denouncing genocide in order to save Jewish lives, and what he deemed to be the supreme interest of the Church, he preferred the latter."

During his historic visit to the Rome synagogue, Pope John Paul II said, "With Judaism, we have a relationship which we do not have with any other religion. You are dearly beloved brothers and, in a certain way, it could be said that you are our elder brothers."

Minerbi writes, "For centuries, the Church has claimed to be the 'true Israel', thus substituting the Jewish religion. It is therefore important that, in a meeting with the Jewish community in Mainz on 17 November 1980, the Pope announced his respect for "the people of God, of the Old Covenant, which has never been revoked by God."

Minerbi notes that in 1984, the Pope wrote that this respect is "based on the mysterious spiritual link which brings us close together, in Abraham and through Abraham in God, who chose Israel and brought forth the Church from Israel." A year later, the Pope wrote, "An exclusively negative picture of the Pharisees is likely to be inaccurate and unjust." In the same document it was written that, "Christian sinners are more to blame for the death of Christ than those few Jews who brought it about."

Calls from some Jewish groups have been sounded over the years for the Vatican to return the many stolen Jewish books, manuscripts and other property held in the Vatican vaults to the Jewish People.
          Last edited by HSB; 04-04-2005, 06:11 PM.

Comment

My biggest fear is that the new Pope will be far too liberal in a modern world. Problems of today test a person true beliefs. Equality and so called freedoms have left little room for religion. It will be hard for the new Pope to stay true to the faith IMHO. I think that he will play more to the will of the people then to God.

Snoopy

Comment

That's pretty much my thoughts, too, Snoopy....

The thing that I’ve already noticed is the clear indication that the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) is thinking about where its major support base is, and how to address the needs of the people. They are considering - at least considering whether they should consider - a Pope from Africa, South America (Latin America), or other non-Anglo nation. Just yesterday I read 3 times, in 3 different news articles that “. . . so-and-so (Papal candidate) is considered to be a proponent of economic equality. . .” It appears that the concept of economic equality - or some closely-related idea or ideal, is a hot topic.

We very easily may see the RCC take a step in that direction, as opposed to going with someone from a more traditional base. Something more along the line of addressing the “social” issues, rather than the traditional RCC “spiritual” issues. I’m not saying that the RCC would ever lose its spiritual focus - but I could see it use that spiritual focus to address social concerns.

The point is that if the RCC moves terribly far away from the traditional spiritual focus that we’ve known for the past, let’s say 100 years, that might put it in the position of taking “economic sides” with political entities. Clearly that has been done in the past.

If, as we've discussed, "world economics" will be one of the things that AC will be deeply involved in, the RCC would then be for him, or against him, but not on the fence. HSB's white horse, in other words.

I also noted w/ some interest that some group or another is calling for a "global speed limit (automobiles and trucks) of 55 mph" (90 Kph is it up there HSB?) ostensibly to save gasoline.

Comment

Wow! Where to from here....
                I'm going to take a deep breath, gather my thoughts and express a scenario much like our discussion on Gog... And this one IMHO has a very distinct possibility of also happening.

As you all know, for the past 27 years Pope John Paul II has been appointing "Conservative Cardinals" - ones who see the World much the same way that he saw it... Therefore it is likely that the voting will go quickly and the Cardinals will have their man 'Chosen'! I have not gone into much depth as to how like or unlike the past Pope the successor is likely to be... Spiritual vs. Social emphasis... But this I do know, he will be "Conservative", and that will not sit well with the majority of the RCC... who are really looking to be Liberalized into the modern World.

SOOooo.... to that end... IMHO... I see a revolt at the Bishop Level... who press for a more "Democratic" approach, and press ever more insistently for the Democratic vote to be taken at the "Bishop Level" as they at that Level are closer to the needs [spell that 'wants'] of the People.

I see a very Conservative Pope with few of the Flock following, and I see a Liberal Pope with the majority following, and eventually opening wide the walls for the inclusion of 'other' Faiths... And my fellow travellers... The Majority usually wins in this sea of Democracy sweeping across that part of our Globe.

This is going to be seen as another tryumph of DEMOCRACY!!!!

What think the rest of you???

Comment

With that in hand, then, you can look for a "popularist" pick - someone atune to "social needs" rather than "spiritual needs", if your Bishop Revolt sways the day.

Comment

I also have wondered about the mismatch between conservative cardinals and more liberal bishops. The problem for the bishops is that there is no mechanism in place to provide for a "democratic" process to unfold. In the USA think about the complicated system of primaries to get a presidential candidate in place followed by an election. Furthermore if the bishops got a "say" why not the common people with a vote of endorsement? The RC system is an episcopal system of government...folks that means top down! When a pope gets put in place he becomes, in the eyes of the Church, the reality of Christ on earth. Thus he actually holds total power and control, up to and including the firing of all the cardinals and bishops. For an interesting read on these things try Malachi Martin's books (Keys of this Blood, Windswept House especially). We will see shortly how the new person fits in. I do believe that the biggest challenge facing this new administration will be the "exclusivity of the Gospel"...is Jesus really the only way to God or are there other valid routes through other religions? If the latter were deemed true than the pope could nicely slide over to a Chairman of the Board of Religions role in the world..and evangelical Christians would certainly be on the run.

Comment

article from Haaretz:

Shin Bet raises alert on Temple Mt.; site to be closed to Jews

By Amos Harel and Jonathan Lis

The Shin Bet security service has raised the level of alert in Jerusalem amid indications that extremist Jews are planning to carry out an attack on the mosques of the Temple Mount, and on the basis of new intelligence has beefed up police and security around the site in the heart of the Old City.

Meanwhile, the Islamic Movement's northern branch, which has made protection of the Al-Aqsa mosque the centerpiece of its activities, has called on Israeli Arab Muslims to flock to the Old City site to protect it from Jewish extremists.

Police yesterday announced plans to close the Temple Mount compound to Jews on Sunday, when a right-wing extremist group called Revava was planning to hold a mass rally there. Police fear the activists could clash with Muslim worshipers.

Public Security Minister Gideon Ezra and Police Commissioner Moshe Karadi have approved an operational plan meant to prevent Revava activists from holding the event. Police will prevent Jews from ascending to the mount Sunday, and will work to prevent any friction between Jews and Muslims in the Old City's alleys. Jerusalem police chief, Ilan Franco, announced several days ago that Revava activists would not be allowed to enter the Temple Mount compound. The statement came after reports in the Arab media expressed dismay at intentions of Israeli authorities to grant the right-wing activists permission to approach the compound, revered as holy by Jews, Christians and Muslims alike.

Channel One last night reported that these security concerns have been made known to the political echelon. The radical rightists apparently aim to attack the mosques in the hope that it will disrupt the execution of the disengagement plan.

The secret service created a ranking from 1-10 with 10 being the highest security risk. Three months ago, the Shin Bet was ranking the security threat at 7, meaning that "there are signs of planning for an attack," and that there are activists "talking about what to do and as soon as possible." Now, however, the ranking has moved to an 8 - and it is based on much more solid information.

Security sources confirmed that there is information about several groups of extremists, though it is not certain to what extent they are in contact with one another. Lately there has been some progress made in the inquiry, but a gag order has been slapped on its details.

A senior security source said recently that the mosques of the Temple Mount, known to Muslims as Haram el Sharif, have become a "hot topic" among radicals, on the assumption that an attack on the mosques would shock the Muslim world, drag Israel into a new war and prevent the disengagement. The source defined the chances of the threat against the mount being actualized as greater than the threat to the prime minister's life, where the security risk remains stable at 6, largely because of the difficulty of protecting the mount.

In response to the Revava plans, the Al-Aqsa Association of the Islamic Movement's northern branch has called on its followers several times in the past few days to remain at the mosque around the clock. The association said that in light of the threats to the mosque by Jewish extremists, it calls on Muslims in Israel to go to the Haram el Sharif and hold all five daily Muslim prayers there and stay there. And it called on East Jerusalem Muslims to go to Al-Aqsa instead of their neighborhood mosques. The association said yesterday that it is sending buses full of believers daily to Jerusalem and that it intends to pick up the pace ahead of Sunday.

MK Abdel Malik Dehamshe, of the United Arab List, wrote to Prime Minister Ariel Sharon this week asking him to do whatever is necessary to protect the mosques. "I emphasize that in light of the tangible danger to the mosques in Jerusalem, unusual steps must be taken," the MK wrote.

The northern branch of the Islamic Movement has been very active over the past several years in dealing with the Al-Aqsa mosque. Israeli Arabs have much more freedom of movement than West Bankers and Gazans, which enables them to pray in large numbers on the mount every Friday and Saturday. In the announcement issued yesterday, the association emphasized that people were being called upon to only hold prayers on the mount.

Comment

and another:

PM: Decision soon on Gush Katif relocation

By Relly Sa'ar, Nir Hasson, Yuval Azoulay, Haaretz Correspondents, and Haaretz Service

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon toured the Nitzanim dunes Thursday to examine the possibility of mass relocation of the Gush Katif settlements to the area following the disengagement from Gaza. At the end of the tour, Sharon told Ashkelon Coast Regional Council Chairman Shimon Cohen that a decision on the matter will be made soon.

Gush Katif representatives met with Sharon on Tuesday to ask him to consider the idea.

There are two options for implementing the proposal. One would be to build another 1,000 houses in the existing community of Nitzan, thereby enabling it to absorb the majority of the 1,700 families due to be evacuated from Gaza. The other would be to build four new communities in the region making enough room for all 1,700 families.

Interior minister: Plan is untenable
                        The en masse transfer of Gush Katif settlers to the Nitzanim dunes region is untenable, Interior Minister Ophir Pines-Paz said Thursday.

"The act is unthinkable and has no chance," he said.

He nevertheless recommended examining the option of expanding the community of Nitzan, located adjacent to the Nitzana dunes, in order to absorb at least some of the evacuated settlers.

Pines-Paz also called on planning bodies and government agencies to satisfy the desires of Gaza Strip settlers in regards to their transfer to alternate locations.

Greens slam Nitzanim move
                        Environment Minister Shalom Simhon was to convene an emergency meeting of the country's leading environmental organizations Thursday to plot strategies for thwarting the Nitzanim option. The green groups fear the plan would severely damage the dunes and the area's nature reserves.

The state, is not obligated to give the evacuees "a seaside home at the expense of a rare and unique nature preserve," Simhon said Wednesay.

Some 20 activists from environmental organizations were demonstrating against the transfer of Gush Katif settlers to the Nitzanim area. They oppose both versions of the Nitzanim plan, but particularly object to the version calling for the establishment of four new communities.

The demonstrators maintain construction at the site will harm the rare ecosystem and the area's dunes.

"The Nitzanim dunes cannot be made into real estate," one supporter said.

"The destruction of the settlement movement cannot come at the expense of the destruction of the environment," said another.

Opposition to the plan has also come from towns in the Nitzanim area, which lies between Ashkelon and Ashdod. Ashdod Mayor Zvi Zilker wrote to Sharon on Wednesday urging that all Gaza evacuees be resettled in a new neighborhood in his town. The town has a good state religious school system with plenty of empty space in its classes, so it is well-equipped to absorb the settlers, most of whom are religious, he said.

"In the Nitzanim dunes area, there is no appropriate infrastructure, whereas we have everything necessary to absorb the Gush Katif residents," Zilker wrote. "The residents of Ashdod want to embrace them. I believe that this is a better option than the idea of establishing a bloc of communities in the middle of Nitzanim."

Zilker had proposed absorbing a few hundred Gaza settlers in the past, but the sudden emergence of the Nitzanim plan prompted him to make the offer to Gaza's entire Jewish population.

Even if the government approves the Nitzanim plan it would take about three years to build permanent housing on the site. The settlers, therefore, are proposing that they reside in temporary housing in the area in the interim, Haaretz learned Wednesday. There is an army base in the area that would have to be moved to make room for the new communities in any case, so it would be easy to set up temporary housing there by utilizing the base's existing water, sewage and electricity infrastructure, they argued.

Sharon brought Yonatan Bassi, the head of the Disengagement Administration (Sela), with him on Thursday's tour. The premier also met with Bassi on Wednesday in a sign of government support for Sela. Both gestures are meant to compensate for Sharon's meeting with the settlers Tuesday, at which Bassi, at the settlers' insistence, was not present.

Before arriving at Nitzanim, Sharon visited Kibbutz Zikkim, Carmiya and the western Negev communities of Bat Hadar and Nativ Ha'asara - locations where at least some Gaza settlers are expected to resettle.

Comment

Gov´t Likely to Keep Gush Katif Houses Intact
                          12:48 Apr 08, '05 / 28 Adar 5765

In accordance with a Defense Ministry recommendation, religious institutions such as synagogues and mikvaot (ritual baths) will be dismantled and re-assembled in new locations.

The government's last announced decision was that the houses would be destroyed, for several reasons: In order to avoid scenes of terrorists dancing on Jewish homes, and also so that the government would not have to deal with the question, "Have you murdered and also inherited?" As one citizen wrote, "The very idea is simply too shocking to deal with – not only are they being expelled, but their homes would be given to their Arab enemies? I have no words..."

A third reason being advanced is that the security forces will find it easier to expel the residents if there are no homes left for them to run back to. The army fears a nightmare scenario in which people are expelled from one house or area, and then return to it hours or days later.

On the other hand, both the Defense Ministry and the U.S. State Department are against the idea of destroying the homes.

Defense Minister Sha'ul Mofaz, following a meeting in his office yesterday with Public Security Minister Gideon Ezra, IDF officers, and police officials, announced that he would recommend that the Cabinet vote to leave the buildings standing. He said that this makes the most sense economically, ecologically, and from the international public-opinion standpoint.

"In light of these considerations," Mofaz said, "it is clear that it would not be right to destroy the houses, but rather to transfer them to the Palestinian Authority."

The Israel Policy Forum, a New York-based peace advocacy organization, reports that the Jewish communities in Gaza contain 1,000 acres of functioning greenhouses, 1,780 private houses, 120 public buildings and 30 synagogues.

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice weighed in on Wednesday by urging Israel not to engage in "wanton destruction" of the homes.

Secretary Rice did not rule out the possibility that the U.S. and the World Bank would cooperate in finding an acceptable financial arrangement regarding the buildings. This past Monday, Housing Minister Yitzchak Herzog said the entire withdrawal would cost Israel $1 billion. Neither the U.S. nor Israel has ever implied that the money would come from the U.S.

Prime Minister Sharon will meet with U.S. President Bush at the latter's Texas ranch next Monday, while Associate Prime Minister Peres met in Washington yesterday with U.S. Vice President Cheney.

It is not clear how the Defense Ministry's recommendation to relocate the synagogues in Gush Katif would be implemented. For instance, one of the two yeshivot in N'vei Dekalim is uniquely shaped as a giant six-pointed Star of David, as seen in the photos below. The building is 6-7 stories high.

Other photos of synagogues in Gush Katif can be seen at "http://www.katif.net/katif/katif.htm" (click on the top line of photos, second from left).

The cemetery just outside N'vei Dekalim will, by all accounts, not be left for the Arabs – but it is not yet known who will move it, how or when. Neither the IDF Chief Rabbinate nor the Israeli Chief Rabbinate says it is responsible, according to a recent Arutz-7 report. Three soldiers and 44 civilians are buried there, including at least six victims of Palestinian terrorism.

Comment

It seems to me, that the past few years have shown the true nature of the leaders of the world. President Bush, claiming to be a man of faith, has proved time and time again, with the help of his underlings, that his true salvation is whatever brings in the most money.
                            I have a question for the people of this thread.
                            I have no doubt in my mind that Bush has his eye on everything involved with the middle east. His family's money interests lie in the region, and he will protect his assets at almost any cost. My question is, with the disengagement plan moving ahead with alarming speed, what long term money or financial gains are the United States, or in particular the Bush family hoping to gain by backing this agenda? I understand the immediate windfall of American involvement, as in the Iraq and Afghanistan with rebuilding and resettlement costs going to American no bid contracts. What long term agendas are being set up here? Will any of it even matter if the U.S. Sends in troops to help with the plan causing the “end of days” to commence?

Comments or ideas?

Snoopy

Comment

Is anybody familiar with the Five Doves folk: see the attached submission from David in Israel on April 8th: if this is true, good grief!

David (8 Apr 2005)
                              "RED ALERT!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RED ALERT! AMERICAN COMBAT TROOPS IN NOW IN ISRAEL

Dear John and Doves,
                              As a daily reader and a rare contributor of the
                              Fivedoves, I felt an obligation and duty to tell you
                              about a FIRST HAND experience of an incident that
                              occurred yesterday here in Eretz Israel. This is not a
                              " word of mouth story" or a grapevine rumor; we
                              actually saw this - not 10 feet away from our own
                              eyes.
                              We were out in the Negev desert and as we approached
                              the mountain pass to the Wilderness of Zin, I noticed
                              what I first thought was "a very long and bright
                              green snake" winding its way down another mountain
                              road. By the time that we arrived at the junction this
                              "long green snake" had become a huge combat army
                              convoy that was passing in front of our eyes not more
                              than 10 feet away.
                              At first I marveled at the bright flashy new uniforms
                              of the soldiers, their brand new weapons and huge
                              brand new transport humvees all in new bright green
                              forest camouflage that filed past us at the junction.
                              Mile after mile they slowly inched past us. Nobody
                              could enter the highway because of his or her
                              multitude.
                              Then I began to think, hey, what's going on? We
                              Israeli's, don't have flashy new equipment or uniforms
                              for our army and we cannot afford all the latest
                              gadgets of war. Then at closer scrutiny I noticed that
                              the soldiers wore the new "nazi" helmet of the
                              American combat soldier. I then noticed good ol'
                              American boys: blacks, whites, Puerto Ricans, sitting
                              in the humvees. I then looked at the nametags on the
                              trucks and humvees and sure enough they were IDF
                              (Israel Defense Force) numbers and letters. Ocassionly
                              an IDF jeep would pass us in the convoy; older sand
                              camouflage vehicles with real Israeli soldiers in the
                              jeeps. In other words this convoy was trying to hide
                              its real identity, but stuck out like the proverbial
                              sore thumb. This convoy contained an enormous number
                              of American soldiers and was carrying a very heavy
                              load and stretched for many miles across the desert.
                              They had no American Identity to the equipment, no
                              American symbols or names or emblems.
                              Maybe they are here to help with the disengagement,
                              we don't know. We have even heard rumors that German
                              policemen with war-horses (what a horrific irony if
                              this is true) would be employed to help remove the Jew
                              from their homes.
                              Pray for our tiny country here, we are in the middle
                              of a spiritual battle to actually lose the Jewish
                              homeland if Almighty God of our fathers does not
                              intervene.
                              We have lost Gaza and Gush Katif, we have lost Judea
                              and the Galilee, we are losing the Negev and now it
                              looks like all of the Eastern Jerusalem is being
                              planned to be returned to the arabs.
                              We are now surrounded by enemies. I think of the Psalm
                              3 of King David that even if we are surrounded by
                              10,000 of the enemy we will not be afraid, because God
                              is with us. WE all know the glorious end!

Shalom,
                              Brother David

Comment

See P&C's response on the thread "US Troups in Israeli Defense Forces? " It's part of a planned exercise between the IDF and American forces.

WLNF

Comment

Working...
                                X