Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Israel VS Hizbullah Part VIII (MERGED THREADS)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel VS Hizbullah Part VIII (MERGED THREADS)

Starting part 8

Re: Israel VS Hizbullah Part VIII

http://www.cnn.com

BREAKING NEWS:
    A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert says the expanded Israeli ground offensive in Lebanon has started, The Associated Press reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
      http://www.cnn.com

BREAKING NEWS:
      A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert says the expanded Israeli ground offensive in Lebanon has started, The Associated Press reports.
      Good news - I just hope that Olmert has not waited a few days too long....? or is he still playing games

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Israel's prime minister has ordered the Israeli military to expand its ground offensive into Lebanon, according to the Israeli Defense Ministry.

Ehud Olmert's order Friday did not specify when the expanded ground offensive would begin.
      OK I am confused - has it started or NOT????

Comment

I think as is so often the case when things are happening quickly it's easy to get conflicting reports - until something definite happens.

So we continue to sit and wait and watch.

Comment

FoxNews says Israeli troops are now moving into Lebanon and the ground force is underway. Meanwhile at the UN the resolution is coming up for a vote and Israel does not approve it due to Chapter 7 not included so the ground force will go forward.

Also...the vote will take place 6pm ET in the UN and that they have asked the US to pressure Israel into a ceasefire and UN Troops and Lebonese troops of 15,000 will go to SoLebanon.

Comment

Just up at www.haaretz.com

21:08 Political source: `Good chance` Israel will accept UN cease-fire plan (AP)

21:04 POLITICAL SOURCE: OLMERT REVIEWING UN CEASE-FIRE PLAN (AP)
            Sorry I am still confused - Olmert supposedly orders a huge escalation after weeks of timidity and hand-wringing, and then within hours says he's going to accept the sham deal cooked up at the UN - one that will totally disadvantage Israel??

I hate to say it but IMO it sure looks like Olmert is doing a double flip-flop and in the process risking the IDF for political advantage..??

Comment

This is like yesterday all over again...I am going to have a stroke. I am watching on Fox the "approved ground force, expanded operation" moving forward as we speak? Is Olmert playing a game with his troops, if so he is a fool to hold them as his cards!

Comment

www.haaretz.com

20:38 Israel says will halt ground offensive if satisfied with UN resolution (Reuters)

Comment

http://www.haaretz.com (source added by Andy)

Last update - 21:21 11/08/2006

Olmert gives IDF green light to expand ground offensive

By Aluf Benn, Amos Harel, Yoav Stern and Eli Ashkenazi, and Agencies

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defense Minister Amir Peretz on Friday ordered the Israel Defense Forces to implement an expanded ground operation in Lebanon.

The cabinet approved an operation Wednesday calling for a push to the Litani River, but delayed it until diplomatic efforts were exhausted. Apparently reports throughout Friday on a delay on a deal on a United Nations Security Council resolution on a cease-fire led to the decision.

A government source in Jerusalem said the IDF received instructions to proceed with the operation after officials viewed an updated version of the draft of the cease-fire resolution Friday, which included several points which Lebanon backtracked from one day after agreeing to them as spelled out in Thursday's draft.

A government source in Jerusalem said that Israel agreed to a 48-hour lull in order to exhaust diplomatic efforts, it became clear that progress towards a cease-fire was not as significant as thought Thursday.

The draft of the text which arrived from Lebanon on Friday is a significantly altered version of Thursday's draft. According to the modified document, Lebanon is opposed to a beefed-up contingent of UNIFIL troops and granting UNIFIL the authority to enforce the cease-fire, which is more problematic for Israel than the clause which refers to the Shaba Farms as well as the lack of border supervision over weapons smuggling.

Under these circumstances, the source said, Olmert decided to issue the order for the ground assault while continuing diplomatic negotiations in parallel.

Olmert's spokesman, Asaf Shariv, told The Associated Press that the expanded incursion had already begun. A cease-fire deal being worked out by the Security Council fails to meet Israel's basic requirements, such as stationing robust international combat troops in southern Lebanon once Israel withdraws, Shariv said.

"Yesterday we were very optimistic, but they (the Security Council) took the wrong turn," Shariv said.

Defense sources say that the cease-fire resolution is not ripe nor is it close to being decided upon, adding that the IDF will begin to push northwards. In the event that significant progress is made on the diplomatic front, the IDF would halt its advance.
                  Sources also said that restarting military operations could yield more favorable terms for Israel in the cease-fire resolution being discussed at the UN.
                  Last edited by Andy; 08-11-2006, 03:39 PM.

Comment

BnG - need source on that last post, plz! head:

Comment

Sorry but IMO Olmert is playing a very dangerous strategy using the lives of IDF troops as "pawns"..... at this rate the many brave IDF that died ,or have been gravely injured, will have been in vane

I am strongly reminded of some similar antics by Clinton in Somalia and elsewhere....

http://wedg.millenniumweekend.org/fo...ead.php?t=9836

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                        BnG - need source on that last post, plz! head:
                        X10 It was Haaretz, that is about all I have read today other than the BBC post I made... but I don't remember what it was that I posted here...and with the day going as it is...it is probably old news now anyway. I am SO Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblenuggetlady
                          X10 It was Haaretz, that is about all I have read today other than the BBC post I made... but I don't remember what it was that I posted here...and with the day going as it is...it is probably old news now anyway. I am SO Sorry.
                          It's back - I just added the standard Haaretz link.

Comment

There seems to be a heavy operation underway in and around Tyre,
                            Fox is reporting that Israel has hit two transformers and cut power
                            to the city. The Israelis appear to be going to take Tyre.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennken
                              There seems to be a heavy operation underway in and around Tyre,
                              Fox is reporting that Israel has hit two transformers and cut power
                              to the city. The Israelis appear to be going to take Tyre.
                              Now that would be great IMO - let's all be sure to pray for the IDF and all innocents on both sides....

Comment

Working...
                              X