Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interview with an Exorcist--Interesting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with an Exorcist--Interesting!

I thought this was interesting; why don't Protestant churches discuss demon possession and exorcism, do you think? I believe that, as in the time of Jesus on earth, demon possession is still with us. For the most part, only the Catholics seem to deal with it.

http://www.beliefnet.com/faiths/cath...n-exorcist?p=4

Re: Interview with an Exorcist--Interesting!

hmm .. At least within non-denominational churches (which sort of are becoming a denomination) I've been around it (teaching plus some observation) all my Christian walk .. since 1974.

Issachar
    The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

Hi, Issachar. So you are saying that the churches you've been a part of practice exorcism? I hear nominal mention of demons, of course, but not how they are impacting people in this present day.

Comment

I think "exorcism" is more of a catholic term ?? But yes, there are people possessed by demons today. It's not (unfortunately) a cultural or dated event.

Issachar
        The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

Yes, I have always believed that demon possession is still going on, as in the days when Jesus was physically on earth. But what does your church, or other non-Catholic churches do when they believe someone is demon possessed. Exorcism is the Catholic name and ritual. Is there a similar rite or non-Catholics, do you know?

Comment

Sorry I've been in and out all day and will be out most of the rest of the day .. but, no fanfare as is depicted in movies. If you do a search on Jesus casting out demons, the power is in His name, His Word. No straining, screaming, artifacts .. just the name of Jesus.

Issachar

Comment

How do you know if someone is demon possessed. They don't all act the same, do they? Or behave in such a way that you can know that, that's what's going on?

Comment

I believe that. Satan must flee at the name of Jesus. It just seems to me that in the churches I've attended, the gospel is the primary focus, as it should be, but end times and things like demons get very little, if any attention. That's doing a disservice to members, as well, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                  How do you know if someone is demon possessed. They don't all act the same, do they? Or behave in such a way that you can know that, that's what's going on?
                  There will always (as far as I know) be some sort of something in behavior or speech .. eyes .. something, that is not right or not quite right. At that point, pray. God knows. We may never know for sure in many cases. Jesus would always have known though.

Matthew 10:
                  And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
                  8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

I am certainly not anything remotely of an expert in these matters. I have been present when this has taken place on few occasions. It is no small matter.

I believe in much prayer. Not just at the time of encountering this situation, but always, as a believer. I believe none of us is without sin, but I do not believe if someone is knowingly living in a sinful situation, that they should ever even think about trying to cast a demon out of someone. We must be living the best we can in accordance with scripture and led of the Spirit. When we mess up .. and we will .. we need to repent. I think all of us here are either in that place, or trying to be. Basically though, none of this nominal Christian stuff if we're going to be about this business of casting out evil spirits. We do NOT want to be in a place where the demon, speaking through a person, can say, "who are you?"

Acts 19:
                  Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.
                  14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.
                  15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
                  16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

1 John 1:
                  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
                  9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
                  10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Romans 8:
                  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Sometimes:

Matthew 17:
                  And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
                  15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
                  16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
                  17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
                  18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
                  19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
                  20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
                  21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

If anyone ever thought himself to be something in this matter, he is not; and plays a very dangerous game. It is only, ever, by the authority of God that a devil can be cast out. We must be in close communion with God to know that He has given us that authority in a given case .. or not.

Luke 10:
                  And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
                  18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
                  19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
                  20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Galatians 6:
                  For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

Best I can say for now ..

Wait! ALWAYS in the presence of one or more witnesses and as publicly as can be if it involves the opposite sex. Always, always, always, another witness .. or more.

Issachar

Comment

Walter Martin(now with the Lord) wrote a book called "The Kingdom of Occults". In it are mentioned many things to watch for as far as the occult and the supernatural . He does talk about demon possession and does have some real life info on how to know and to handle this situation. A lot of the name it claim it or others think everything is a spirit of possession or oppression . So they go around acting like fools trying to strike out the spirit of (named any illness you can think of) or it's the spirit of lust, envy , gluttony and on and on. I think Benny Hinn has the spirit of give me the money...but I digress. Martin's daughter works with Jan Markell at Olive Tree Ministries and carried on her father's work.

Comment

I have seen demon possession up close and personal... and it is a really scary thing... when I rented a room in a private home... I had just been praying for this person and This person came into my bedroom...was very abusive that I had prayed for them...
                      I demanded that the demon leave in Jesus name it left then came back, I pleaded the blood again, brought out my Bible, the person said my Bible burned them, I pleaded the blood again...after several times the demon finally left... the person was bewildered why she had gone into my bedroom and almost assaulted me ....... finally she left...

Comment

Wow, Lewis! That's some memory. Didn't Jesus or one of the apostles say that for some demons, there must be fasting first, to cast them out, or do I have that mixed up? In any case, I think it is not something to approach lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by SueC
                          Didn't Jesus or one of the apostles say that for some demons, there must be fasting first, to cast them out, or do I have that mixed up?
                          See post 9 .. Matthew 17 quote.

Issachar

Comment

Yes, Issachar! That is exactly the verse I was thinking of. I read your response too quickly the first time and apologize. Thanks for reiterating! I do appreciate how you back up your responses and posts with scripture, too. Enlightening for all of us.

Comment

Working...
                            X