First computer game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First computer game

Can anyone name what the very first computer game was?
    Or what year it came out?
    How about on what platform?

I know, I'm a "Geek". What can I say.

Re: First computer game

Yea !!!
    How much in today's dollars did that 1st computer system cost? & Who was that cute girl?

What was the first video game? Its NOT pong !!!
    http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave..._not_pong.html
    no fair peeking
    Last edited by lewisb; 08-15-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
      Can anyone name what the very first computer game was?
      Or what year it came out?
      How about on what platform?

I know, I'm a "Geek". What can I say.

Well, in 1967 at Miami University, I programmed an IBM 1407 in Fortran II to play BlackJack. I had a random number generator that mapped into 52 slots, so I would not duplicate any cards until I had to re-deal. Do I win the prize?
      Last edited by Jim C. Meador; 08-16-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Well Jim, the video says 1961. But that's pretty cool that you did that. In '67 I was just a 15 year old kid doing (very) high voltage experiments (learning about resonance). No games there (but it was fun!)

Issachar
        The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

I think Bro Andy refered to a game generally available... but why 52 slots? you really only needed 13 slots -- 4 times --to deal a deck
          doesnt need all 4 kinds of cards as they arent all that important.. except maybe in poker..

Comment

Originally posted by Jim C. Meador View Post
            Well, in 1967 at Miami University, I programmed an IBM 1407 in Fortran II to play BlackJack. I had a random number generator that mapped into 52 slots, so I would not duplicate any cards until I had to re-deal. Do I win the prize?
            Check out the video, brother - it's short and fascinating (to the geek-minded). And they feature the IBM 1401 at the Museum.
            Really - check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by lewisb View Post
              I think Bro Andy refered to a game generally available... but why 52 slots? you really only needed 13 slots -- 4 times --to deal a deck
              doesnt need all 4 kinds of cards as they arent all that important.. except maybe in poker..
              Well, Lewis, 4x13 is 52, so it really doesn't matter!

Comment

I took a course my junior year of high school in 1982/83, we used a (1) VIC 20 and 4-5 Commodore Pet computers and remember playing
                blackjack and a very simple hockey game

Comment

Originally posted by Tennken View Post
                  I took a course my junior year of high school in 1982/83, we used a (1) VIC 20 and 4-5 Commodore Pet computers and remember playing
                  blackjack and a very simple hockey game
                  "Pong", by chance, Ken?
                  Many people think that was the first computer game...erronously, of course.

Comment

Pong might not have been first but it was the first one we had. Made the cats go crazy

Comment

Working...
                    X