Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evangelical Lutherans to U.S./end Israel aid if settlements stay

http://www.timesofisrael.com/evangel...tlements-stay/
    At triennial assembly, church also wants to halt investment in companies profiting from Israeli occupation, urges Obama to recognize Palestine
    The aid vote, which passed 751-162, urged church members to “call on their US Representatives, Senators and the Administration to take action requiring that to continue receiving US financial and military aid, Israel must comply with internationally recognized human rights standards as specified in existing US law, stop settlement building and the expansion of existing settlements in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, end its occupation of Palestinian territory, and enable an independent Palestinian state.”

The resolution also called on Obama not to prevent the application of the State of Palestine for full membership in the United Nations and, in coordination with the United Nations Security Council, to “offer a new, comprehensive and time-bound agreement to the governments of Israel and Palestine, resulting in a negotiated final status agreement between Israel and Palestine leading to two viable and secure states with a shared Jerusalem.”

Re: Evangelical Lutherans to U.S./end Israel aid if settlements stay

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, eh? Luther was a strong anti-Semite.

Issachar
    The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

This is the liberal branch of the Lutheran church. They don't take a stand against abortion, are OK with gay marriages, women clergy, etc.

As far as Luther being an anti-Semite, this is apparently true at the end of his life. The LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) denounced this back in 1983...not sure why it took so long. If you go to this link, which is for the LCMS's publication, Lutheran Witness, there are archives. The April, 2004 issue addresses Luther's history of antisemitism and the LCMS's response. http://blogs.lcms.org/the-lutheran-w...tness-archives
      Last edited by SueC; 08-15-2016, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that info SueC.

Issachar
        The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

Working...
        X