Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosul Dam collapse would dry up the Euphrates for the Kings of the East

Iraq's Mosul dam could face catastrophic collapse - top US general

US General said ""WHEN it goes"" NOT IF !!!

lack of maintenance the reason for the situation...

http://www.ynetnews.com/Ext/Comp/Art...759108,00.html

Re: Mosul Dam collapse would dry up the Euphrates for the Kings of the East

...which would send a surge of water down the heavily populated Tigris river valley.

How does this effect the Euphrates?

Comment

they are connected in southern Iraq and fairly close together otherwise...

Comment

From post #29 here.

The earthen embankment dam is located on top of gypsum, a soft mineral which dissolves in contact with water. Continuous maintenance is required to plug, or "grout" new leaks with a liquefied slurry of cement and other additives.[8] More than 50,000 tonnes (49,000 long tons; 55,000 short tons) of material have been injected into the dam since leaks began forming shortly after the reservoir was filled in 1986, and 24 machines currently continuously pump grout into the dam base. A September 2006 report by the United States Army Corps of Engineers noted, "In terms of internal erosion potential of the foundation, Mosul Dam is the most dangerous dam in the world." The report further outlined a worst-case scenario, in which a sudden collapse of the dam would flood Mosul under 65 feet (20 m) of water and Baghdad, a city of 7 million, to 15 feet (5 m), with an estimated death toll of 500,000.[9] A report on 30 October 2007 by the US Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction (SIGIR) said that the dam's foundations could give way at any moment.
        Issachar
        The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

Also, is this dam still out of the hands of isis?

I haven't heard otherwise, but there is so much happening ..

Issachar
          The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

Originally posted by lewisb View Post
            they are connected in southern Iraq and fairly close together otherwise...
            No offense, brother, but that did not explain to me why/how the Dam collapsing would dry up the Euphrates. Furthermore, I've done some searching on the Internet and can't find anything to connect those two, either so - would you care to explain, please?

Comment

Why would the dam collapse dry up the Euphrates ?
              Well, Tigris and Euphrates
              The dams store water in the rainy season and gradually let the water flow down stream in the summer dry season...
              if the dams collapsed, the rivers would be bone dry in the dry season... and any rain they got in the rainy season would be quickly gone down river... AND everything in the river flood plain would be washed away by floods every rainy season...
              That is why you build dams...

Comment

So how was the Euphrates filled before the dams? It's been "The Mighty Euphrates" for a very long time.

Comment

Working...
                X