Announcement

Collapse

End of WeDG

Hi all,
Due to well over two years of a clear lack of interest in this board, I will be closing it when the hosting is up next month (24 Aug). I see no reason to continue this with the lack of readership and participation.

It's been a wonderful 27+ years, with tons of ups and downs, but with all the excellent resources available to us online via Telegram, YouTube and other platforms - we've outgrown our purpose. I do not believe any huge modification/improvements to the site would help, plus that has always been way beyond my knowledge/skill set.

Y'all know how to reach me.
See more
See less

Coalition passes 1st judicial overhaul law, limiting review of government decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coalition passes 1st judicial overhaul law, limiting review of government decisions

Coalition passes 1st judicial overhaul law, limiting review of government decisions | The Times of Israel

Anger erupts on Jerusalem streets, roads blocked after Reasonableness Law approved | The Times of Israel

Interesting quotes from an article posted in Rosenberg site

Just prior to the final voting, Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich reportedly made an attempt to reach a compromise, calling for a six-month postponement in judicial reform legislation. His proposal was rejected by Justice Minister Yariv Levin and National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir.
    After the announcement of the bill’s passing, the Kaplan Force protest organization said, "The government of the destruction of the Temple voted to crush the State of Israel as we knew it - we will fight them to the end.”
    This is a sad day. A day of the destruction of the Temple. A day of gratuitous hatred. I look at the coalition celebrating and ask, what are you celebrating? The fact that you are dismantling the Jewish state we have? What happened here today is not within the framework of democracy. This is something else. This is a complete violation of the rules of the game.
    Amid protests and political drama, Knesset passes Reasonableness Standard Bill, opposition MKs boycott final vote | All Israel News

Comment

In theory this is just the first step in overhauling the Israeli judicial system. I guess everyone will have to wait and see. It will be interesting to see what the protesters and the IDF reserve response will be.

Comment

Question??

Why aren't Netanyahu's government worried about what happens if the left win the next election??? Reminder??? Under their system that could happen any time. Well as it is now.

Comment

Posted on Amir's T'Gram but you'll see at the bottom who wrote it.

The current Israeli government had to pass the judicial reform. It is INCREDIBLY mild: it merely says that the judiciary cannot simply declare a law "unconstitutional" in a land with no written constitution on the basis of it being "unreasonable."

Imagine the Supreme Court in the United States routinely striking down popularly-passed legislation without citing anything but their own view of whether such legislation is "reasonable." No legal arguments, no citations of a written text, no authority. Nothing. That's the situation currently.

If the elected government stops its policy because reservists say they won't volunteer if it passes and financial and union powers say, they will help shut down the economy, they will incentivize endless societal shutdowns. The same means of anti-democratic shutdown will be used on all future legislation and all future governments that aren't in line with such protesters, endangering Israel's economy and security.

The absurdity of morons like Thomas Friedman calling on Joe Biden to step in -- the same Joe Biden currently claiming that the US Supreme Court is undemocratic and undermining its own legitimacy -- is apparent. It's more about Democrats' increasing antipathy for Israel than anything reality-based.

Israel will not collapse. It will not break into civil war. It will continue to be a fractious and chaotic country filled with highly-opinionated people who fight with each other, and then share arak and chamin and cholent and falafel.

(Ben Shapiro)

Comment

Question??
            Wouldn't common sense say what they needed/ need is a constitution, not the government of the day deciding???

I suspect the right has decided everyone in Israel should live by their beliefs. Which is heading Israel into a theocracy. Without a constitution to protect them. That is what the protesters are fearing as this is what the extreme right have been pushing for years. We know the majority of the right are hoping they can do this.

From what I sometimes hear the only thing many are thinking about is abortion and LGBTQ(XYZ) .....but....there is more then this to be considered???

One of the things I have heard ??? Freedom of religion. Some of the extreme right..... "Take your cross off" objections to Jesus, prayer meeting and on and on and on

Things that need to be cleared up prior, I would think would help. Why not??? Netanyahu's government couldn't get those through?????

Which does scare many in Israel.
            Last edited by SAT; 07-24-2023, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Was curious

Cholent

Arak

Chamin: as best I can tell . . same as Cholent. Maybe if one understands the finer details of the culture, they may know the difference.

Falafel

Issachar
              The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

I try . . . I really try, to understand the politics of Israel. To no real avail.

That's about true for any nation. The English are about as bad.

Having been born in, raised in the U.S. and having done much study, observation and listening, it's difficult to understand U.S. politics. Sure, I get the general, over-arching picture and probably understand the constitution better than the average House member and at least the average Senate member and definitely better than some of the presidents and that would include those that are only sitting in that position, but there are details of things going on in politics that are overwhelming.

So I have to opinion to share: There is only one honest and good government.

Isaiah 9:
                For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
                7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Obviously that government is not yet. But we know it will be.

Meantime, the world is left with the only thing that the world can do; that which is right in their own eyes. That always has, certainly does and will, result in chaos ranging from mild to severe. Man was not originally intended to rule himself so when he does, he makes a mess of things because he doesn't know how. But for the grace and mercy of God, mankind would not have made past a couple of generations. Murder was present in the first, born generation.

Issachar, patiently (mostly ) waiting . . .
                The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Issachar View Post

So I have to opinion to share: There is only one honest and good government.

Isaiah 9:
                  For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
                  7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Obviously that government is not yet. But we know it will be.

Meantime, the world is left with the only thing that the world can do; that which is right in their own eyes. That always has, certainly does and will, result in chaos ranging from mild to severe. Man was not originally intended to rule himself so when he does, he makes a mess of things because he doesn't know how. But for the grace and mercy of God, mankind would not have made past a couple of generations. Murder was present in the first, born generation.

Issachar, patiently (mostly ) waiting . . .
                  lol I keep thinking about that one myself.
                  Your Kingdom come
                  Your will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Thank you Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by SAT
                    From what I sometimes hear the only thing many are thinking about is abortion and LGBTQ(XYZ) .....but....there is more then this to be considered???
                    Well, yes. But what I tell people concerning abortion that say to me, "You can't be a one issue voter." is that is sometimes true. If you don't like certain economic policies of a party but like other policies, you can still vote for that party's candidate. But when someone can't tell that a baby in the womb is a human being, I don't care what other policies they hold to. If they cannot get basics correct, I don't trust that they can get anything else right. Or this new absurdity sweeping the West . . If they cannot get basic plumbing correct where humans are concerned with reproduction, then I don't really care about anything else either. Things that have been mostly common sense for all but the past .002 percent of human existence, must be understood, for a "leader" to know how to govern.

Originally posted by SAT
                    One of the things I have heard ??? Freedom of religion. Some of the extreme right..... "Take your cross off" objections to Jesus, prayer meeting and on and on and on
                    Ya . . in the U.S. it's been those on the extreme left doing that here.

Some years ago I thought that I knew what left and right were concerning politics. e.g. I can find sources that say hitler was extreme right and others peg him as extreme left.

None of that matters to me anymore. Now I just think in terms of the only two types of humans on the planet, those in Christ and those that are not. I think I got tired of figuring out all the human generated nuance.

Issachar

Comment

Originally posted by SAT
                      I keep thinking about that one myself.
                      Your Kingdom come
                      Your will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Thank you Lord!
                      AMEN Sister!

Issachar

Comment

Originally posted by myself
                        Meantime, the world is left with the only thing that the world can do; that which is right in their own eyes.
                        As we know, there is mentioned frequently in various ways in Scripture, the folly of mankind doing that which is right in their own eyes.

I believe, as also many other things, that goes back to Genesis 3:1-7 where the sin nature came into being. Adam and Eve's nature were changed from divine nature to sin nature and we all were born with the sin nature.

2 Peter 1:
                        According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
                        4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

But in Christ, that is reversed, corrected, made right.

There's only two ways for things to be done, out of the sin nature of man, or God's way.

If it wasn't for God being involved in the doings of man so that His will is ultimately worked out, again, mankind would have self terminated a long, long time ago.

Issachar

Comment

There is a whole lot of Godly wisdom in this thread. Thank you brother and sister.
                          I am going to be 75 in 5 weeks. I have always been interested in politics. Was involved in politics for years, held a political office. But I've known Jesus as Lord since I was 12. Sold out to him at 31. Would not want to live on this planet without Him and there are plenty of days in these times that I don't want to be on this planet even with Him being my Lord. It is so hard right now.
                          I have come to the conclusion that the longer you truly walk intimately with God, the less you understand this world system other than to know that Satan is alive and well and very very busy because he knows his time is short.
                          I think that right now, Israel is hemorrahging because of its own lack of the knowledge of God and their worship of the Law as opposed to their Messiah. Israel is not a religious nation, not even as religious as the US which is a seriously sad statement.
                          You are right brother Issachar, it boils down to one thing: you either know Jesus or you don't. It has become that black and white.
                          And so, we are called to pray for the lost. Let us not grow weary in this high calling no matter how what is going on around us hurts our heart.
                          Glory to God in the Highest, and peace to His people on earth.

Comment

Yes, the nation is a serious mess, SAT. They are in their land of promise but are there in utter unbelief - and just like all throughout their history, they will not succeed by relying on their own strength (Prov 3:5, 6 comes to mind). Only once their rejected Messiah returns will the land and people finally be given the rest that was promised to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Comment

Working...
                            X