Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propose legislation to outlaw sharing the Gospel in Israel send violators to prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evangelical leaders in US, Israel praise Netanyahu for stopping legislation to ban the Gospel in Israel | All Israel News

Initially, I heard hesitation – even resistance – from some Netanyahu confidantes about the need for him to issue a statement because they believed that there was no chance that such a bill would every really become law.

Nevertheless, Evangelical leaders were respectful but adamant that private assurances were not enough.

They asked for a clear, definitive statement from the prime minister.

And that’s exactly what they got.

At 4:43pm Israel time on Wednesday, Netanyahu issued the following tweet in Hebrew and English to his 2.2 million followers.

And just like Brownback, many Christian leaders were quick to express their gratitude to Netanyahu for his strong stand on this issue and for being such a solid and valued friend of the Christian world for so many years.

Comment

I'll wait until Gafni withdraws the bill from consideration before I believe anything. But this definitely shows the power of the Ultra Orthodox wing of the Knesset.

Comment

I'm tending to take the same position GH
        I saw an article this morning saying the protesters had bit of a confrontation with the religious right and many are worried
        I'm also taking that attitude toward that as well.

Comment

side note

Christian fundraising site platforms neo-Nazis, white supremacists - The Jerusalem Post (jpost.com)

Christian fundraising platform GiveSendGo, which enables users to send money and prayers to individuals in need, has recently come under fire for hosting a number of neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups, including ex-Marine and neo-Nazi Christopher Polhaus.

GiveSendGo has been an effective way for fringe groups to raise funds and continue their work, and according to a report by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), “extremists are using online crowdfunding platforms like GiveSendGo and GoFundMe to raise millions of dollars for their ideologically driven activities.

"Through crowdfunding, extremists have generated at least $6,246,072 from 324 campaigns between 2016 and mid-2022.”

Comment

I've never heard of GiveSendGo and I just now checked it out. Clearly states it is Christian, clearly states it is a free speech platform that doesn't agree with everything posted there. Needless to say I abhor Neo Nazis and their ilk. Do they have a right to free speech? According to the US Constitution, they do.

I find the timing on this rather interesting because it looks like an attempt to paint all Christians with a wide brush. Not to mention the inherent racism we have seen on display coming out of the far right Ultra Orthodox within the new Israeli government. Racism is racism. And be clear I am not defending it in any form or fashion.

Comment

Passover bill made law – Is it freedom or coercion? | All Israel News

It was in 2020 that the High Court of Justice had blocked hospitals from checking the contents of people’s bags in order to see if they were bringing in such items, claiming that a search of this kind would invade the privacy of individuals and be considered religiously intrusive. While this proposed law has been an issue of contention between the religious and the secular, it wasn’t surprising to anyone that the new religious right-wing government would do all they could to push this bill through just days before the Passover holiday, and so they have.

This is just one example of why so many Israeli citizens have been involved in the ongoing protests, concerned that laws would be enacted, forcing them to observe standards and practices they would rather decide for themselves.

In truth, the majority of Israeli Jews probably do discard products containing leaven prior to the Passover Seder meal. For many, it’s more of a traditional ritual to observe the historical significance of the holiday, but does not necessarily mean they're performing the act out of a personal religious conviction according to the Bible.

And this is the problem! Israelis very much care about tradition, observance and their history. They value continuity and a sense of their unique peoplehood. What they do not like, similar to most others, is feeling they must be observant out of an obligation to law, especially in matters of religious choice.
              It is this type of bill which worries the opposition, as they believe that many others of its type will follow out of an attempt to interject one standard and one expression upon the collective population of Israel, which varied and homogeneous. This gives way to fears concerning the end of the Supreme Court’s intervention, which has often ruled on the side of plurality. The new government endeavors to bring such decisions into the hands of ultra-Orthodox legislators for this reason.

This may also be the intention behind Lapid's statement that the passage of this bill would “cause there to be much less Passover [observance] and fewer people refraining from eating leavened products in general, as many will see it as religious coercion.”

Again, it’s not that Israelis are against the celebration of Passover, as prescribed in the scriptures. The issue is the legislation of law or being forced to observe a religious directive. When one feels compelled to obey, it removes the personal choice which is supposed to emanate from a heartfelt conviction – and this is what is so egregious to those who are opposed to any religious observance becoming law.

When politicians or government leaders decide what its citizens can say, wear or eat, there is a sense that freedom is lost to those who might have wanted to choose another path. Obedience to God and to His standards remains to be something best done when it comes from a place of free will. Apparently the Almighty thought so as well, since He created mankind with the ability to choose for themselves, as opposed to robotically doing as they were commanded.

When politicians or government leaders decide what its citizens can say, wear or eat, there is a sense that freedom is lost to those who might have wanted to choose another path. Obedience to God and to His standards remains to be something best done when it comes from a place of free will. Apparently the Almighty thought so as well, since He created mankind with the ability to choose for themselves, as opposed to robotically doing as they were commanded.

It might be worthwhile to remember that Passover represents the passage from slavery into freedom – something always worth celebrating! Wishing everyone a personal sense of freedom this year as they re-enact the blessing of liberty and the faithfulness of God to His people, none of which comes from government, but only from our Creator!
              Democracy
              Biden vows funds, tech alliance as democracy summit takes on backsliding (france24.com)
              Theocracy
              Iran Russia and even China....Pakistan is sitting on the fence as it opted to not attend.

Israel is attending but the worry is there !!!!
              Last edited by SAT; 03-29-2023, 09:20 AM.

Comment

The goal of none theocracies
                Abrahamic religions - Wikipedia
                Abrahamic Family House - Wikipedia

Comment

As attacks on Christians become more frequent, a crisis looms for Israel | The Times of Israel

And last week, a resident of southern Israel was arrested after attacking priests with an iron bar at the Tomb of the Virgin Mary in Gethsemane.

“Terrorist attacks, by radical Israeli groups, targeting churches, cemeteries, and Christian properties… have become almost a daily occurrence that evidently increases in intensity during Christian holidays,” said the Greek Orthodox Church.

Dan concurred with Pari’s assessment: “Unfortunately after this government was elected, there are those who feel they can do whatever they want. That they can lift up their fists and nothing will happen to them.”

Comment

All of this makes it easier to see how dangerous it was for the first Church's believers in Israel. We only read the Biblical account of Stephen being stoned to death by a mob. With Ben Givr in control of the policing now it gives one pause. At least the Romans who were truly horrible, persecuted everyone equally.

Comment

Agree.
                      It does seem the attacks are getting so frequent. Jews attacking Moslem and Christians(It seems if you aren't Jewish you are Palestinian)Palestinians attacking Jews. With the holy days for all three....

I get it with the police etc. being afraid to actually arrest and charge Jews in fear of causing more trouble, but there has to be a point when they actually apply the laws equally. It truly brings the subject of democracy to question and the attention of the world.

Comment

Tonight on THE ROSENBERG REPORT: Is Israel heading towards civil war? | All Israel News

It’s been one of the craziest, most intense and most dangerous weeks in the modern history of the Jewish state.

Usually, when Christians pray for the peace of Jerusalem, we are praying for God to protect Israel from our external enemies.

Like Iran, Hezbollah, Hamas, ISIS and other radical and apocalyptic Islamist movements.

But right now we need to be praying for God to protect Israel from an internal implosion.
                        So is Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

“I say here and now: There can be no civil war,” Netanyahu warned this week. “Israeli society is on a dangerous collision course. We are in the midst of a crisis that is endangering the basic unity between us.”
                        The Rosenberg Report - Rosenberg Report

'Break their bones': Ahead of right-wing TA rally, some activists call for violence | The Times of Israel
                        Last edited by SAT; 03-30-2023, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Christian clergy in Jerusalem no longer feel safe, want Israeli authorities to take more action | All Israel News

While Israeli officials tend to paint a picture of safe co-existence in the city of Jerusalem, Christian clergy in the Old City describe an atmosphere of harassment – spitting, cursing, disruption to gatherings and vandalism – accompanied by a growing apathy from authorities.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has already been under scrutiny from allies in the West over policies toward Palestinians and controversial judicial reforms which have led to massive nationwide protests.

Now the prime minister may be facing yet another diplomatic challenge for his government. Israeli officials have reportedly agreed that the rise in attacks on Christians appears to be related to the current ruling coalition, in particular far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir, who recently secured command of Israel’s National Guard in exchange for agreeing to the postponement of Israel’s judicial reforms.

“Because of the government's situation, some extremists, they feel like they have a protector,” said Custody Secretary, Father Alberto Pari. “Nobody will stop them if they do something that maybe they were thinking to do also before. But then there was more control from the police or they were not supported by some political leaders.”

“Unfortunately after this government was elected, there are those who feel they can do whatever they want. That they can lift up their fists and nothing will happen to them,” added Amir Dan, spokesperson for the Franciscan Custody in Jerusalem.

Comment

This is a real problem. It's been going on for decades and people don't talk about it until now when the Ultra Orthodox feel like they can get away with a lot. I experienced harassment myself when I was there in 1985. A group of young Ultra Orthodox children decided to target me while I was sitting on a bench outside Yad Vashim Holocaust Memorial. They were nasty little name callers. I happened to be wearing a very small gold cross on a chain. These were kids all under the age of 12 and much younger.

Comment

As Christian pilgrims visit Israel for Holy Week, local Christians complain of increasing violence | All Israel News

Tensions in Jerusalem are high as Jews, Christians and Muslims observe overlapping holy days

“What we are seeing is that, what we call the status quo, the balance between the different communities – Jews, Muslims, Christians – is not respected anymore,” he said. “That aspect is problematic for me, that they consider Christians as guests. We are not guests. We are part of the identity of the city.”

Comment

Given the threats against Christians, I don't think I'd even say they're treated like guests. If they wre, the would be shown a lot more respect.

I wonder if the ultra-Orthodox really understand how big of a business tourism fromChristian groups is in Israel.

Of course, it's not like some places where that's all they do, but they would still be doing great harm if they were to drive even some tourists away. And yet, if they are going to claim that they don't need tourism because they are going to rely on God, they are sure going about it poorly. (Not to mention the fact that they should recognize that tourism could easily be the way God is choosing to bless them. We can't just refuse to accept a blessing becasue it's not what we wanted.)
                                My books for sale http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Baseballifsandmore
                                Please print, pass on these items:
                                http://biblebloggenesis.blogspot.com/ May start other books
                                http://takethespirituallead.blogspot.com/-Fr. 2 Kings 4, spiritual leadership in difficult families

Comment

Working...
                                X