Russia tells NATO to leave Eastern Europe, stay out of former USSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia tells NATO to leave Eastern Europe, stay out of former USSR

Russia tells NATO to leave East Europe, stay out of ex-Soviet Union | Reuters

Really can't say I blame them.
    Man, when you look at a map of the region and what powers are where, I can see how Russia would feel very much like western forces are squeezing in on them.
    Not that I trust Putin but - strictly from a strategic standpoint - I can see it.

Personally, I think they made a HUGE mistake with Crimea - such a fabricated excuse to squash that tiny land. This communicated to the world that they were trying to re-take the original USSR territories...not something NATO can allow.

Comment

Yep, both Russia and China had agreed to the terms of the new order. The dream was unions lead by democracies. Once Russia and China had acquired some power they reneged on the democracy part.
      Which has left the democracies holding onto all the power as they don't want to let go as the dream of all democracies has taken a turn.

Comment

French President Emmanuel Macron has said that during his talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin, he reaffirmed his commitment to Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity.

Macron wrote this on Twitter, Ukrinform reports.

"Yesterday, I reaffirmed to President Vladimir Putin our commitment to Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity. The Minsk agreements must be respected. To President Volodymyr Zelensky, I reaffirm France's support for humanitarian measures," the French leader said.

He also confirmed further mediation by France and Germany in the Normandy negotiation process. "We need to find a lasting solution to the conflict in Donbas. Germany and France continue to mediate in this matter within the Normandy format," Macron said.

According to Macron, tensions and attempts to destabilize the European Union's eastern neighborhood cannot be ignored. "Our goals are to reaffirm our commitment to the sovereignty of the Eastern Partnership members and to promote the ambitious and unifying dynamics," he said.
        Macron tells Zelensky he declared support for Ukraine in call with Putin (ukrinform.net)

But Russia

Russian President Vladimir Putin wants direct dialogue with U.S. counterpart Joe Biden to resolve the stand-off, and is seeking security guarantees to stand down his troops.

But the European leaders in their summit pushed for a return to the "Normandy format", a four-way dialogue between Paris, Berlin, Kiev and Moscow designed to enforce the 2015 Minsk accords, a blueprint for a political settlement.
        EU threatens Russia sanctions as NATO backs Ukraine - World News (hurriyetdailynews.com)
        Last edited by SAT; 12-17-2021, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I have read three articles this morning about Russian threats and each is just a little worse.
          Russia
          Russia sends nuclear-capable bombers on patrol over Belarus (yahoo.com)
          Russian diplomat: NATO is 'balancing on the edge of war' (theweek.com)
          NATO
          NATO general wants alliance troops in Bulgaria, Romania - Der Spiegel | Reuters

Russia is sending a message they won't back down. Putin has always believed that was the mistake of the past.
          Last edited by SAT; 12-18-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Very interesting survey from Russia...Putin's propaganda???? It ain't working this time.
            Russians Have Suddenly Stopped Buying Putin’s Anti-American Propaganda (yahoo.com)

Comment

I don't think they could have sent a clearer message.
              Russia’s Hockey Team Raises Eyebrows With Throwback USSR Jerseys

Russia’s national ice hockey team sparked outrage in northern Europe by wearing throwback jerseys from its Soviet past during an overtime loss to Finland Sunday, amid rising tensions between the Kremlin and the West.

The uniforms worn in Euro Hockey Tour’s Channel One Cup in Moscow had CCCP, or USSR in the Cyrillic alphabet, emblazoned across the chest, prompting Finland’s former Prime Minister Alexander Stubb to tweet that the nod to the Soviet regime was “an offensive gesture that does not belong to sport or anywhere else.”
              Russian Ice Hockey Team’s USSR Jerseys Raise Eyebrows - Bloomberg

Comment

Originally posted by SAT View Post
                Very interesting survey from Russia...Putin's propaganda???? It ain't working this time.
                Russians Have Suddenly Stopped Buying Putin’s Anti-American Propaganda (yahoo.com)
                I'm guessing he doesn't care - anymore than the Dems care how unpopular they've become in our nation.

Comment

Wow. Chutzpah! USSR on the shirts in Cyrillic. That is a message to former Soviet Bloc nations and the world. Not subtle but Putin has never been subtle.

Comment

Gorbachev resigned as president of the Soviet Union on December 25, 1991, days after the leaders of Belarus, Russia and Ukraine said the USSR no longer existed.

"How can one count on equal relations with the United States and the West in such a position," Gorbachev told state news agency RIA Novosti on the eve of the anniversary of his resignation as the leader of the USSR.

He said there was a "triumphant mood in the West, especially in the United States" after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991.

"They grew arrogant and self-confident. They declared victory in the Cold War," said the 90-year-old.

He insisted Moscow and Washington were "together" in pulling the world out of confrontation and the nuclear race.

"No, the 'winners' decided to build a new empire.
                    Hence the idea of NATO expansion," Gorbachev added.
                    US Became 'Arrogant' After Fall Of Soviet Union: Gorbachev | Barron's (barrons.com)

Comment

U.S. and Russian officials will hold security talks on Jan. 10 to discuss concerns about their respective military activity and confront rising tensions over Ukraine, the two countries said.

A spokesperson for the Biden administration announced the date late on Monday, and said Russia and NATO were also likely to hold talks on Jan. 12, with a broader meeting including Moscow, Washington and other European countries set for Jan. 13.
                      U.S., Russia set for Jan. 10 security talks amid Ukraine tensions | Reuters

Comment

Working...
                      X