X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Names Atheist as Chief Chaplain

LINK

It is this part of the article that really has me shaking my head, though:
    The Times said Epstein was the unanimous choice of a nominating committee that includes members of the Lutheran, Christian Scientist, evangelical Christians and Bahai faiths.
    *bold mine

I really don't know what to say anymore.
    The closer you get to an event, the easier it gets to predict it. ~Lorenz Meier

Really good catch Flaxen. There is nothing to say really. It's an image of the state of the Church in the US.

Comment

I would disagree on that point GH. What is going on in “the world” (all that is apart from God) is not an image of the state of the church.

The church, being the body of Christ, means that whatever Harvard, or any of those institutions 4-5 hundred years ago may have been, at some point, probably quite a long time ago, became secular and have nothing to do with the body of Christ.

We know from Jesus that there will be many that claim to be Christian, but are not.

2 Corinthians 11:
      And what I am doing I will continue to do, in order to undermine the claim of those who would like to claim that in their boasted mission they work on the same terms as we do.

13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.

14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

Titus 1:
      To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled.

16 They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.

Matthew 7:
      “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

16 You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

17 So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.

18 A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.

19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

20 Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.

All of 2 Timothy 3
      2 Timothy 3:
      having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.

1 John 4:1, 2 Peter 2:1, Matthew 15:8, Romans 16:17-18, 2 Timothy 4:1-4, Isaiah 29:13 and so many more passages.

I actually believe that I am seeing, at least in NWO hio, more Christians taking their walk more seriously. It seems to me that in times of judgement as I believe we’re seeing get started, that it’s also a time when God’s people draw closer to Him and each other. Those that are not truly lovers of the Truth, will leave and hence, the church becomes more pure; smaller by outward appearance, but more pure. During times of persecution, no one wants to call themselves Christian, unless they actually are.

2 Thessalonians 2:
      and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

Issachar
      The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

Some history from the Harvard Crimson itself ..

Excerpt:
        Indeed, Harvard’s “Rules and Precepts” of 1646 hold that “the maine end of [a student’s] life and studies is, to know God and Jesus Christ which is eternal life…the only foundation of all sound knowledge and Learning.”

By the 19th century, Harvard was undergoing a liberalization of its religious ideas under the influence of the Unitarians, who had come to control Harvard and institutionalized a greater emphasis on reason, morality, humanism, and intellectual freedom. “Unitarianism is a much more broad-based, hospitable religion, at odds with the old Calvinists,” says Gomes. “[The movement] led the way to what eventually became a secularizing process.”

Gomes says the sea change came in 1869 with the inauguration of University President Charles W. Eliot, who drew on Unitarian and Emersonian ideals in laying out a revolutionary treatise of higher education. “The worthy fruit of academic culture is an open mind,” Eliot said, “trained to careful thinking, instructed in the methods of philosophic investigation, acquainted in a general way with the accumulated thought of past generations, and penetrated with humility. It is thus that the University in our day serves Christ and the Church.”
        underline mine

No Mr. Eliot, “The worthy fruit of academic culture is an open mind” is a lie. That concept of considering everything being worth considering is wrong thinking disguised as being intellectual. Having an open mind never means not guarding the mind.

2 Corinthians 10:
        We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, ..

Romans 12:
        Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Philippians 4:
        And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 26:
        You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.

Matthew 22:
        And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

1 Peter 5:
        Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Proverbs 28:
        Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered.

Issachar
        The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

I would say that the failure of falling from a Christian institution into secularism is less to do with secular people having charge than Christians (if they were) handing charge over to the secular.

Issachar

Comment

Originally posted by Issachar View Post
            I would say that the failure of falling from a Christian institution into secularism is less to do with secular people having charge than Christians (if they were) handing charge over to the secular.

Issachar
            Well brother Issachar of course all that you have said, most especially the quoted Scripture are spot on. Now this part I'm quoting above is what I wish I had said in my original post. And I should have said "Church," as in so-called or self styled. Bearing the name only but lacking the evidence of fruit reflected in the spiritual growth and depth of the people who are a part of it. Now I think I just muddied the waters again.

Comment

Working...
            X