Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My computer died & went to ???? today...how to tell, and what to do next :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer died & went to ???? today...how to tell, and what to do next :)

Yes my computer went to bed last night and would not wake up this morning ... I had bought a used "thinkcenter" a while back.... I tried for a long time to find a way to sign into firefox to retrieve my bookmarks with no success I even described firefox's heritage quite immaginatively...
    Thankfully, I had saved some of my my bookmarks / favorites on my web site, and extensively on sd cards... unfortunately my password records were not very readable somewhat confused.. Finally, I had to try to reconstitute my on screen bookmarks list by opening each address then saving each one separately... it took quite a while, but seemed the only way... so ten hours later, I kinda sorta got things back to ""Lewis normal"" whatever that is--almost-- anyway...

words of wisdom, put your bookmarks somewhere on the web, and files bookmarks elsewhere...sd cards thumb drives... It saved me some fuss today so that I could reconstitute some of my stuff...thankfully my important files are on sd cards... Also, keep an up to date password record that is easily legible... that caused me quite a bit of fuss today...

If you sign into Chrome or Firefox (maybe even Edge, not sure) with an email and pwd, you can set up Sync - this allows you to carry over bookmarks and settings from computer to computer.
    I've recently been introduced to Brave browser and am liking it thus far - quite secure, from what I've read.
    How long was this ThinkCentre (yes, that's how Lenovo spells it!) turned off/not plugged into power?

Comment

I have no idea how long the thinkcenter was turned off before I got it... It has been turned on several times with me trying to use it,, then a kinda teckki friend putting a working browser on it... It works a lot faster than my other computer did... anyway, it seems to be doing ok... I will look into the other sync thing however ...
      Thing is, my thought was that bookmarks are saved by my firefox account and not by a local computer... my previous computer is dead, cant be started...

Seems I was told a while back that there was no way to input all of the files saved on my SD chip into my new computers documents with a few steps...
      That I would have to input them --one document / file-- at a time !!!
      Sigh...
      Guess I can do that... but it will take quite a while!!1

now this drag and drop method might work!
      Last edited by lewisb; 02-21-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Reason I ask, Lewis, is - make sure you check and correct date/time. If it's been off for an extended period of time then it's possible the CMOS battery is dead, thus these will be completely off and create all kinds of weird issues.

Comment

Yes, my date and time are fine

Comment

Working...
          X