Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bread and the wine...communion

Ok. for all that may think I am a legalist, consider this
    for a VERY long time I have thought something very different about communion...
    getting everything into proper >>context,<< which Imho, has not been done for almost two millennia.
    note:
    1Co 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
    1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
    1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
    1Co 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Literally, Jesus is saying that as often as you sit down to supper, eat your bread and drink your wine remembering Him...
    GASP
    Yes that's the >>context<<
    1900 years ago the Roman church started saying that you had to receive this bread and wine, blessed by a priest, to forgive your sins...
    Seems to me this was done to give them power over the people,,, telling them that without the sacraments, they were hell bound sinners...
    When the Protestants broke from Rome, they brought this error with them...along with infant baptism...

I seldom repeat my opinion, as I get raised eyebrows when I do... However, consider all this carefully...
    I'm Not saying that this should not be done in church... However, just keep in mind what was actually said by Jesus...

"...The Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed..."
    Sets the stage. Certainly Jesus ate bread at other occasions yet He set this one as something very special.

We are not declaring the death just by eating a meal - the uniqueness of this must be maintained to declare His death to the world - just as it was a very special ceremony with He and His disciples on that night.

Comment

Working...
    X