Trump Wants Back Into the TPP. Not So Fast, Say Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Wants Back Into the TPP. Not So Fast, Say Members

Officials in Japan, Australia and New Zealand reacted coolly on Friday to Mr. Trump's remarks that he would be interested in joining the Trans- Pacific Partnership after rejecting it so publiclyjust a year ago. While the United States would significantly bolster the pact if it signed up, its entry would require intense negotiations- and current members will expect significant concessions from the American side.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/13/w...-tpp-asia.html
    Last edited by SAT; 04-13-2018, 10:26 AM.

Reminder from just two weeks ago...

Trump Is Willing to Reopen TTIP Amid EU-U.S. Trade Dispute, Ross Says

President Trump s willing to reopen negotiations with the European Union over the stalled Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership agreement, which stalled following his election, according to U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross.
    "He terminated the trans-Pacific deal; he didn't terminate TTIP" Ross said in an interview with Bloomberg Television on Thursday. "That was meant quite deliberately and quite overtly as a message that we're open to discussions with the European Commission."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...spat-ross-says
    Last edited by SAT; 04-13-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Apparently Trump and whomever is on his team on this TPP matter, are seeing things still, not beneficial to the U.S.

President Donald Trump tweeted late Tuesday against the United States rejoining the Trans-Pacific Partnership after recently asking trade officials to reexamine the deal he pulled out of during his first days in office.

The tweet comes as Trump is meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Mar-a-Lago, where the two are expected to talk about trade issues. Abe was a strong advocate of the TPP, which was backed by the Obama administration.

*While Japan and South Korea would like us to go back into TPP, I do not like the deal for the United States,* Trump tweeted. *Too many contingencies and no way to get out if it does not work. Bilateral deals are far more efficient, profitable and better for OUR workers. Look how bad WTO is to U.S.*
      source

Issachar
      The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

How the rest of world sees it???

The members do want the US to join, but not at the cost the US is pushing. And the jobs thing is important, but like what the US attempted at the WTO, they don't want to be dominated by the US. (Remember the TTIP court)
        Sovereignty in the WH has it's limits apparently

Comment

PS

The jobs thing??? People, be they in China or Canada, want to buy cars etc, that are at least partly built in their own country. The same thoughts and emotions I hear in the US, I hear everywhere.
          The only solution for GM, Ford etc. was to open plants. Which also made their multi country stockholders, who invested big dollars, happy.

If you start unravelling it.....

PS
          If South Korea and Japan were smart re TPP??? They would wait until this situation with NK was settled and a military solution in ASEAN could be strengthened,.so protection couldn't be used as a threat.

Comment

Working right now and am on tiny screen, but quick comment:

Leaving TPP does not unravel anything. Part of the issue is cars, for example, intended for sale in China, can be manufactured in China by American manufacturers. An issue is with cars intended for sale in the U.S. being made in China. But government/trade deals make that difficult. The U.S. has overzealous regulations where China, for example, has few by comparison.
            The bottom line is the sinfulness of man. Me, me, me; I, I, I ...

Issachar
            The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

If you check the talks in NAFTA at the time they weren't going very well. Canada had once again just refused to allow the court to be in the US and dominated by US judges (Sounds like TTIP and what was attempted in the WTO)instead of independent, outside judges.

Current U.S. policy directs the American military not to defend Canada if it is targeted in a ballistic missile attack, says the top Canadian officer at the North American Aerospace Defence Command.

We re being told in Colorado Springs that the extant U.S. policy is not to defend Canada, said Lt.-Gen. Pierre St-Amand, deputy commander of Colorado-based Norad.
              That is the policy that s stated to us. So that s the fact that I can bring to the table.
              https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...k-general.html
              Interesting ! This

could
              change many things.
              Why?

North American
              Aerospace Defence Command.
              The Art of the Deal

Comment

You got a post in a fraction of a second after my last post

One of the problems with these unnecessary (for commerce) trade deals is that someone will always have to dominate. But as we know, they will happen anyway and someone will dominate.

Issachar

Comment

Later I want to check on that report. At this point I do not accept that the U.S. would stand down if Canada were attacked. If not for altruistic reasons, at least for economic reasons and safety reasons. But I personally believe there would be altruistic reasons on the part of many here in the U.S.

Issachar

Comment

Originally posted by Issachar View Post
                    Working right now and am on tiny screen, but quick comment:

Leaving TPP does not unravel anything. Part of the issue is cars, for example, intended for sale in China, can be manufactured in China by American manufacturers. An issue is with cars intended for sale in the U.S. being made in China. But government/trade deals make that difficult. The U.S. has overzealous regulations where China, for example, has few by comparison.
                    The bottom line is the sinfulness of man. Me, me, me; I, I, I ...

Issachar
                    Yep !!! Everyone recognizes China is a problem and has gotten China to agree to change. Apparently the details were worked out back at the last G20 meeting

Which brings me to questions. So what is it Pres. Trump is doing now re China? Why has he threatening friends and allies with sanctions? The Art of the Deal. He is using the US dominating power to fulfill the wants and desires of American corporate world and (Forgive me as I hope people will understand..
                    His campaign promises...
                    The bottom line is the sinfulness of man. Me, me, me; I, I, I ..

Which is everywhere !

The Art of the Deal. Which is also why the leaders of countries and the media frequently find his tweets and actions very confusing and frequently contradictory..

Last edited by SAT; 04-18-2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

You got a post in a fraction of a second after my last post

One of the problems with these unnecessary (for commerce) trade deals is that someone will always have to dominate. But as we know, they will happen anyway and someone will dominate.

Issachar
                      Yep which why Europe is so worried...

EU's Tusk calls on Europe to rally against Trump threat
                      European Council President Donald Tusk said on Tuesday that
                      U.S. President Donald Trump has joined Russia, China and radical Islam among threats to Europe and called on Europeans to stick together to avoid domination by three other continental powers.
                      http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...+World+News%29
                      The perfect scenario for the AC to rise????

Comment

Later I want to check on that report. At this point I do not accept that the U.S. would stand down if Canada were attacked. If not for altruistic reasons, at least for economic reasons and safety reasons. But I personally believe there would be altruistic reasons on the part of many here in the U.S.

Issachar
                        Yep ! lol I'm so slow I'm just getting to respond to your posts.

Comment

But there is also the practical., as I said in that thread, if we got hit it would mostly likely be they missed hit you. I hear NK hasn't refined it yet.
                          Russia ???That would be you as well . Putin does want to weaken the US, so there will be another "Yalta"

His reason for being in the middle east??? The US and Yalta.

PS
                          The US could easily be heading that way.

Peace and security...it will probably mean Yalta.
                          One of the reasons

Haley pushes back on Kudlow remark, saying 'I don't get confused'

"
                          With all due respect, I don't get confused," Haley told Fox News.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1HO3CL

https://wedg.millenniumweekend.org/f...ssia-sanctions

and why the last few posts in Russia thread....
                          https://wedg.millenniumweekend.org/f...tensions/page3

Last edited by SAT; 04-18-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Please note China wasn't allowed to join TPP
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Pacific_Partnership

Like the US they have been told they would have to follow the rules established and that would mean no dominating the rest.

Unravelling??? All "foreign" companies leaving the US. There are a lot.The stock market has made it impossible to say foreign "owned".
                            Unravelling what man has built.........

Comment

Found it

Trump seems to hint he could pull US troops out of South Korea if he doesn't get his way on trade
                              https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/15/trum...-on-trade.html

Comment

Working...
                              X