Psalm 83

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psalm 83

Amazingly, yesterday in Sunday School our teacher decided to discuss the prophetic implications of President Trump's declaring Jerusalem the capital of Israel. He walked through Psalm 83 explaining why he thought *perhaps* the backlash from this declaration was bringing in the fulfillment of Psalm 83. I have heard Amir Tsarfati repeatedly state that he believes Psalm 83 was fulfilled in 1948 during the Arab-Israel War for Independence. I would be interested in hearing some discussion of this.

Glad you brought this up...been wanting to do this, too.

It would help if we knew the modern day names of these nations/territories

6 The tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites, Moab and the Hagrites;
    7 Gebal and Ammon and Amalek, Philistia with the inhabitants of Tyre;
    8 Assyria also has joined with them; They have become [f]a help to the children of Lot.

Edom and Moab are in the modern day Jordan area. Amir reminds us that Jordan is peaceful to Israel (FOR NOW!) but certainly in 1948 they were part of the attack.
    Tyre, best I can tell, was a city in modern-day Lebanon. Certainly that's a bordering nation that wants to destroy Israel today and is "conspiring" to this end.
    Ishmaelites would appear to be Egyptians (sons of Ishmael). Egypt is also at peace with Israel.
    Hagarites appears to be the offspring of Hagar, other than Ishmael and it appears those sons settled in Chaldea - Persians/Iranians. Nothing need be said about that!
    Gebal - another part of Lebanon
    Ammon - Jordan
    Philistia - Gaza

Of this list we have Jordan and Egypt that are not enemies of Israel, right now...and many scholars believe Jordan will protect the remnant of Israel that escapes the hand of the Beast-system/man (in Petra).

Thus, it would SEEM as though (to me) perhaps Amir might be correct.

Comment

Sounds logical, but it seems everywhere I look these countries are defined differently.

Comment

Some of them, yes, but Ammon is definitely a city in Jordan, even today. Edom and Moab are always listed as various parts of modern day Jordan...I've never seen anything else for those. Seems that makes it hard to put Psalm 83 as now, UNLESS Jordan turns against Israel...which certainly could happen.

Comment

some teachers think that psalm 83 has already been fulfilled ...

Comment

Originally posted by lewisb View Post
            some teachers think that psalm 83 has already been fulfilled ...
            Right, brother - that's exactly what we're discussing.

Comment

And I apologize for posting under my brother's name! I was obviously logged in with his ID (by his request, he wanted me to subscribe to some threads and didn't know how).

Oops!

Comment

I meant was fulfilled in ancient times... although perhaps today is a type or shadow of the past... Ol' Nebbi cut a wide swath of destruction when he blew through back in 600BC...

Comment

I've never been able to see this chapter as "prophesy." Certainly not prophesy as we study it today - prophesy fulfilled and/or not.

It is, IMVHO, an imprecatory prayer. A prayer, if you will, for protection from, or for punishment of enemies. Indeed, BibleGateway, at this link, https://www.biblegateway.com/resourc...ecatory-Psalms lists Ps 83 as an imprecatory prayer. If you read through it (without any prejudice that it's a prophesy) it certainly looks and sounds like a simple prayer for protection from their enemies.

Whether or not this prayer was "answered" in the past, I believe, is what we're really discussing. Not that this is a "prophesy" that was/will/may be fulfilled. But clearly, it's not saying that ". . . these enemies will be brought down, thus sayeth the Lord."

Comment

Working...
                  X