Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knowledge will increase - Do robots have a place in the end times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowledge will increase - Do robots have a place in the end times?

FIRST - AND FOREMOST -

It is absolutely the position of WeDG, and I certainly hope of all WeDG participants, that Salvation is exclusively reserved for People - those made "In God's image." Any other interpretation can only be called heresy. So let's not even think about going into a discussion of that.

With that as a preface -

I came across an interesting tidbit this morning that has set me thinking. Apparently Facebook had created a couple of "chat-bots" - since I don't do Facebook, it's hard for me to fathom Why. But, apparently said Chat-bots devised their own language, and the two of them were able to communicate with each other, in a language that was completely unknown to the scientists that created the bots. The (wise) scientists shut the two bots down, citing security concerns.

With the caveat that soul-less robots won't be on Christ's side, would/could such entities be part of Satan's minions, fighting against Christ?? I wouldn't give them any chance at all of being successful - Michael and his guys would simply nuke 'em with an electromagnetic pulse, and they'd litter the landscape.

See Link below. As always, some sources are credible, others not so much.

hi Plumbob.

For some years now I have wondered if "rest" in the Millennial Kingdom involves the absence of "work" for humans. we have almost reached a stage where robots and AI can replace much of the manufacturing work force. Even high skill jobs like airline pilot and medical doctor are possible casualties. IMHO this is not necessarily a bad thing. For too may people their whole identity seems connected with a job (I AM an electriciaan, a teacher, a lawyer) What if we were freed from jobs to be anything God wanted us to be.....

Comment

Hey, HSB.....

The whole AI - Robotics thing is indeed fascinating. And yup, all that brings one up short, in terms of things that we have considered "highly skilled work" that is only an algorithm in the processor. I'm certainly not concerned about AI - but an AI entity that can invent it's own language, and decide what it considers "moral" or "necessary" is a bit iffy. But - "Hey Robo, bring me another cup of hot tea!" Now that's OK.

Comment

Scripture says !!! everyone will sit under his fig tree--- not in front of his computer !!! in the Kingdom age...
        I occurred to me that the image the AC sets up in the Holy place that can speak and hear will be a robot / AI ... thus mocking creator GOD and His creation...

I very seriously doubt that the Millennial kingdom will have tech much beyond the beginning of the 19th century.........

Comment

>>>the perils of AI<<<
          Sam,
          Did you read all of Azimov's novels ??? one of them dealing with his laws of robotics had the robots keeping man from harm or doing harm by
          totally running mans lives...

Comment

Never read any Asimov, no, Lewis. Maybe I should.

Comment

Asimov's robot series I remember "The Caves of steel" and "I Robot" ... The culmination of his work was the "Foundation" series... Just as fresh and awesome as when 1st written.....
              The other great Sci-fi writer of the human condition was Robert Heinlein...

Comment

This is a response from Doug Fowler - who is having technical issues and couldn't get in to post this himself.

Quote Doug Fowler:
                "Interesting, my college friend shared that with me just last week on the phone - which allowed me to insert an offhand comment about whether the AXC could be a robot. I didn't think about the image. (Not that I would want to get *too* technical with him, little seeds here and there about Revelation and other things keep me from pushing him away while letting him see evidence of my faith from the Bible. Pray for him, BTW; he reportedly *has* prayed to trust Christ as his Saviour but his heavy academic background growing up makes it hard for him to have faith and he struggles a lot with it. However, the great thing is if he truly meant it and believed with the faith of a mustard seed when he prayed, he *is* saved. And he did say a couple weeks ago he believed God could do anything, something he could never have said a year or two ago...) "Anyway, this article tells me more about AI than of robotics. Like was mentioned about the image in the Temple, it is very possible the AC could deceive people with some very clever AI or holograms which would seem to bring down fire from Heaven, another thing the Beast and False Prophet will do. "I'm not sure about robotics being involved in the Millennium only because that would imply man's creation; I think it's more likely that God will control everything and that our labor will be really easy - imagine that instead of thorns and thistles from the ground (which came about as part of the Curse) you could just throw seeds onto the ground and they would automatically sprout without any major effort. No need to prune or protect from pests, etc."

Comment

Thanks, y'all, I was able to log in now. I love the irony of having had trouble trying to reply to a thread on technology.
                  My books for sale http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Baseballifsandmore
                  Please print, pass on these items:
                  http://biblebloggenesis.blogspot.com/ May start other books
                  http://takethespirituallead.blogspot.com/-Fr. 2 Kings 4, spiritual leadership in difficult families

Comment

Working...
                  X