Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama Issues New Rules on Healthcare Coverage

Originally posted by Andy View Post
    Are we sure about this? From what I was told when I set up my 2013 insurance benefits it's going to be a full health-screen for 2014. It seems to me if someone can show they are living a healthy lifestyle but there's some other medical reason for being overweight this may be taken into consideration - but I don't know that for sure.

I have no doubt I could be wrong, but I can't even imagine how that would work, for me at least. Look, I'm not 100 pounds overweight (though I have a heart for those who are), but I could stand to lose quite a bit. Either way, can the doctor prove my metabolism is off? I don't know. He seemed to be taking a stab in the dark with his explanation. Incredibly frustrating.
    Last edited by Seeking Him; 11-25-2012, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Two Views:

Issachar .. noting the "nice" wording in the first video when she talked about the killing of children ..
      The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

I apologize for sounding judgmental - Jackie is right, I am talking of those that simply do not care. The 60's spawned a phrase: "If it feels good, do it" and although that was one of the catch-phrases that sparked the so-called sexual revolution it sure does fit for any type of extreme behavior that is damaging to the body/soul/spirit/etc. Who cares the consequences - it gives me pleasure therefore I should indulge at any level and without any consideration of anyone/anything other than my selfish 'happiness' (NOT!). I think that's "hedonism", right?
        I thought long and hard before I put this up. Mainly because I am trying to think of people that I know who have had this attitude. I'm sure they are out there, no doubt, but this is not my experience with people who are overweight. Most hurt daily and shed many tears over their circumstances - self inflicted or not - overeating is an addiction. In the past I've seen more compassion for people who do drugs than those with eating disorders and this is very disturbing to me.
        There is also the reality of genetics. They do make a difference as well.

Comment

Your correct Seeking him

i personally experience comments you posted.

*hopefully , i can return and post.

BLESSINGs to ALL

Comment

Yes, it can be an addiction - I see it clearly in my son and have seen it just as clearly in myself. And with the majority of addictions people do struggle with them - the full cycle of many addictions includes "guilt" and "resolution not to repeat" (two of them - there's either 4 or 5...can't remember for sure). And as with most addictions there is help to break it.

This discussion has gone a completely different direction than it started - I would submit that pretty much any addictive lifestyle results in higher healthcare costs - as a general rule. Tobacco use, alcohol, overeating, drugs, sexual addictions, etc.; many of these individuals feel trapped and the last thing I want to do is sound heartless - we're not discussing whether we should have compassion on people in addictive lifestyles - we were discussing since these lifestyles increase healthcare costs (statistically, not each individual case) whether everyone should pay for it or should some of that additional cost be the responsibility of those that have said lifestyles.

(I wonder how much discussion went on back when auto insurance underwriters decided to petition the insurance commissioner (I think that's right) to increase premiums for teenage males even though some are more responsible than others)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
              ... we're not discussing whether we should have compassion on people in addictive lifestyles - we were discussing since these lifestyles increase healthcare costs (statistically, not each individual case) whether everyone should pay for it or should some of that additional cost be the responsibility of those that have said lifestyles.
              Yes .. that's what I was going to say when I got back - something like that. An example I thought of was the matter of HIV/AIDS and the homosexual death style .. they are among the highest, if not the highest, health risk there is - Let them pay for it. If someone gets it by abuse, child predator, born with it, etc. .. cover them. But the nut cases out parading around nude in public in their so called parades? They can pay for all of their issues. Along with them would be the participants of the system that promotes the death style through supposed "education", legislation, etc. Speaking of legislators .. why are they exempt from obamacare(less)?

A little story that may contain a principle applicable to other situations: I used to smoke. Well, the cigarette did .. I was just the sucker (probably thought it was "cool" or something equally stupid). Started around 16 and in the Navy at 18, went at it heavy duty. I love swimming, running, etc. It was early on starting to affect those activities. Whenever I made the (umpteenth) FINAL decision to quit, the other sailors would fill my bunk with packs of cigarettes, blow the smoke in my direction, etc. They DID NOT want me to quit. Finally, I just stopped. I just stopped. Went from close to three packs a day to nothing. Cold turkey. After five months, when I didn't even like to smell them anymore, when I was only 21, I walked into a store for something and thought ... hmmm .. if this quiting is real, I will hate it if I smoke one. It was on a Thursday. So I bought a pack and smoked one. Next day, I smoked the rest ... and was right back to them. A very short time later, after having just gotten saved, I was standing in a line to buy some more. I asked myself ... WHY are you buying these? I watched my close aunt die of lung disease after decades of smoking. I saw my own father have a heart attack, mostly related to smoking. I saw all the pictures of lungs that looked like prunes .. on and on with all the data pointing to why I should quit. Then (I believe) the Lord spoke to me and said, "Because you don't WANT to quit. You do .. sort of. You know you should .. but you don't want to. You enjoy it." Whew .. I did. It was true. I asked the Lord to make it so I didn't want them. He did. Haven't had even a though of wanting one for over 38 years now. I swim, run, play ball with the kids and grandkids, bike, hike, walk .. very active. Thank you Lord.

Now, I know that isn't going to be the same for others. But I do know some that once they realized that they were doing whateveraddiction because they enjoyed it, they started to attack that .. by the hand of our Lord .. and overcame. I have a dear friend that I will have to wait til heaven to see again because of multiple complications from overeating. He was, at one point, 510 lbs. Another on his way there.

Issachar
              The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

My (step)son once said some months ago that all of these vices are a spiritual issue and I find myself agreeing with him (for those that just 'want' to but 'can't' - and I'm talking addictive behavior, not conditions that are the result of medicine or genetics). The Word says we can do ALL THINGS through Him that strengthens us and any addictive lifestyle is a form of sin for we are to be in complete control by the Holy Spirit.

Yes, this is as convicting to me as it is to anyone else reading this.

Anyway, he went on to talk about a group of men that he used to get together with and they would 'power-pray' about any specific sin - often he said fasting and prayer was necessary - but each one would overcome whatever had a grip on them. Him telling me about this was quite impactful (not a word? Come on, Firefox!). He's the only one of the 5 (between us) that is going on for the Lord and he is in a BIG way, PTL.

Comment

This discussion has gone a completely different direction than it started

I'm sorry I took it out of context, but saw something that felt a little cold and felt a prompting to say something.

I'm so sorry for your struggle M.

Comment

Hopefully tomorrow i can Post

Comment

Just got back to this thread as I have been madly preparing my online stores for Cyber Monday.

Thoughtful comments here. I hear the struggles going on. Ultimately, ALL addictions are spiritual issues. Trying to fill the hole in the soul with ....fill in the blank for your addiction. We haven't even touched on Religious addiction and it is very very real. It does not honor God.

The 12 Step programs work. Over Eaters Anonymous has helped many people I know get a grip on the "why" they eat. Prayer, of course is a huge help. But there is something about sitting in meetings with other people struggling with the same issues, many who have overcome by the Grace of God, and others who continue to struggle on a daily, hourly basis. Self examination is a big part of this program, taking responsibility is another big part. AA, the original model was and is based on Biblical principals.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Him View Post
                        I'm sorry I took it out of context, but saw something that felt a little cold and felt a prompting to say something.
                        More than fine. I certainly don't want to come across that way. And I can also assure you that even though I may not be communicating it I, too, am struggling to get my weight down. And like pretty much everyone else I know that struggles with weight the older I get the more difficult it is (and I know it's far worse for women). My hope/prayer is as my legs are strengthened, my balance and stamina improved (things that were not possible 4 short months ago, PTL!), I will be able to use exercise as a major aid to getting some 40lbs off that seriously need to come off. For a guy my height/build 40lbs is quite a bit. AND I totally understand that if I don't get this down some by 2014 I will likely have to pay higher premiums - I get that and I agree with it...for my situation.

Just wanted to circle back around to the original discussion.

{{Texas-sized Hugz}}

Comment

Keeping Current

/*\ = Pray , please i can make a good presentation , about this
                          Topic (obamacare)
                          as it does / will affect my life. (MS)

Comment

More than fine. I certainly don't want to come across that way. And I can also assure you that even though I may not be communicating it I, too, am struggling to get my weight down. And like pretty much everyone else I know that struggles with weight the older I get the more difficult it is (and I know it's far worse for women). My hope/prayer is as my legs are strengthened, my balance and stamina improved (things that were not possible 4 short months ago, PTL!), I will be able to use exercise as a major aid to getting some 40lbs off that seriously need to come off. For a guy my height/build 40lbs is quite a bit. AND I totally understand that if I don't get this down some by 2014 I will likely have to pay higher premiums - I get that and I agree with it...for my situation.

{{Texas-sized Hugz}}
                            Minnesota- sized Hugz back at you.

Comment

{{Texas-sized Hugz}}
                              Many blessings to you, I got it off too, lost 30lbs recently, and my husband too because, I know what is coming in 2014. They will penalize many, and the nanny state will set in. Very sad situation indeed.

Comment

{{Texas-sized Hugz}}
                                ((Colorado-size hug to you and all those fighting this battle.))

Comment

Working...
                                X