IF This is True - Some Teachers Need an Economic Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF This is True - Some Teachers Need an Economic Education

$76,000 per year? 16% increase in pay over next 4 years? AND complain because they want to evaluate your job performance? Sheeshhh ... Maybe they think all other jobs are easy?

"We are concerned that too much of the evaluations will be based on students' standardized test scores. This is no way to measure teacher effectiveness at all," said Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis Sunday night.
    source

I wouldn't say standardized test scores is "no way to measure teacher effectiveness", but neither would I say it is THE way to measure it. Instead of being concerned about how they might do the measuring, they could ask them? There is a myriad of reasons why students can do poorly .. family unit breakdown, especially in inner city environs, is a key factor. What if 30% ... 45% ... of the students do well in a given class and the rest fail or do poorly? Was the teacher ineffective? Maybe partially. But in the private sector, one can not get a raise, lose pay or possibly lose a job, over someone else's irresponsibility, inability, etc. Happens.

Back when standardized testing was being proposed, there was a huge outcry against it. I was a small part of that outcry. I never could understand why teachers, across the nation, didn't raise an outcry that would have nearly pushed Washington D.C. into the Atlantic. Why were there not teachers, enmasse, saying that they are well able to teach. They are well able to compose tests that would show them their own effectiveness in THEIR classroom? Why didn't they point out that the education system was cranking out engineers, historians, statesmen, scientists, inventors, etc. .. without Washington? Now what's graduating? Look at the national average scores. Look at the trends. Take away the right/ability/need for teachers to discipline in the classroom, take away prayer, ANY mention of the Bible or Jesus .. even take away the Christmas carols, etc. .. no "thou shalt not kill" rules here .. no sir! We've been liberated. Well .. enjoy your liberation.

Psalms 2:
    The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
    3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

Issachar
    The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Re: IF This is True - Some Teachers Need an Economic Education

Great find, Iss!

On a side note Rush is proposing that this is a setup by Obama and Rham, so O can swoop in and settle it and be the hero! Like he says there is no way this large of a teacher's union would go on strike if they thought there was any way it could hurt the Pres., thus it is a setup? He predicts the media will show little kids crying cause they can't go to school and after Obama rescues them they will be shouting Obama, Obama!

And as you point out they have it toooooooo good to do this! Good ole Illinois (used to live there) is corrupt from top to bottom. Chicago to the North and East St. Louis to the South, where the schools and police departments have been taken over by the Fed's due to corruption.

Lots of its residents are moving to our triple rated State of Missouri or Indiana, as fast as they can - verified by the moving companies!

Comment

Yep, $76,000 a year and LOTS of vacation time. Wouldn't you all love that?

My paycheck CANNOT take another property tax hike to pay for more money to the school system in this corrupt state.

People in the real world haven't had a pay raise in eons. And you know what???? People in the real world understand why their companies cannot give them a pay raise and aren't out there whining about it!

My husband has been talking quite a bit about packing up and moving out of Illinois. In Illinois if you are lucky enough to out right own your home you still are shelling out close to $1,000 a month for property taxes.

Beam us up God, we are tired of this old world.

Comment

Originally posted by Denise View Post
        Yep, $76,000 a year and LOTS of vacation time. Wouldn't you all love that?
        Yeah, Denise, and that is for 9 months of work! They interviewed some parent, on NBC (tennis on CBS) who claimed teachers have 50-60 students in their classes. Well, the engineer in me takes the 400K students divided by 30,000 teachers and support staff = 13.3 students per teacher. Now even if staff was 25%, which I would think is high, = 22,500 teachers or 17.7 students per teacher!

Maybe some teachers can enlighten us on how many support staff they usually have and we can redo the math but if I had to do it all over again I might consider teaching in the Windy City?

Comment

Growing up our class would at times jump up towards 30 students. Guess what, we had one teacher! But those were the days when kids still had respect for authority and behaved in the classroom.

I almost stood up and applauded last night when they had a single mom on tv who had two children in the Chicago public schools who was obviously frustrated by this strike. So much so, she has pulled her kids out of public school and put them in a Christian school.

I feel bad for teachers who have to put up with all this union thugs and forced union dues in our state.

Comment

Originally posted by Denise
            But those were the days when kids still had respect for authority and behaved in the classroom.
            I don't know how oldish you are Denise, but if that is a part of your experience, it must be old enough because that was quite a while ago. Back then, it was legal and right and approved of, to use the board of education on the seat of education. The devil, working through various and assorted people, took away disciplining from society, starting with schools. He knew this would cause the break down we see today. He is so far removed from wisdom .. but not stupid.

Ephesians 6:
            Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Without discipline .. and corporal punishment when needed .. there is no consequence to misbehavior. This breeds more misbehavior .. and more ....

A good friend of mine, a brother in Christ, just walked away from his "teaching" career and all that went with it, because of this issue. I put "teaching" in quotes, because in reality, he spent most of his time trying to maintain some semblence of civility in the classroom. He is now back to a former career as an engineer in a large company and the first week on this new job, he said, "Issachar", it's so nice to work somewhere where I'm not having things stolen off of my desk and people actually treat each other decently." He taught math at a "good" high school. Another friend, a very near neighbor, just left "teaching" at a "good" elementary school, nearby, for the same reasons. In both cases, the schools very much wanted them to stay, but they said no .. no discipline, no teaching.

I see SO MANY parents these days that have such brats for children. They back talk their moms and dads, treat other kids selfishly, say mean things and bad things .... and NOTHING HAPPENS! Hey .. live with it if that's what you want to allow. Enjoy.

Not only is this lack of discipline causing a break down in the school system, but in the society at large. Lack of discipline will accelerate selfishness like nothing else. The sin nature, if it can get away with something, will. And what it attempts to get away with, ALWAYS increases in severity. Tis the nature of the sin nature. It wants no bounds. Once that no bounds living gets to be older .. ummm ... not good. For anyone.

Proverbs 22:
            Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Notice the foolishness is not just sitting there waiting to be flicked off with merely a word or even a stern word. It is bound there. It requires a rod of correction.

Note: hopefully, we won't need to bring abuse into the discussion because abuse is not discipline .. it is abuse and it is abusers that need discipline. True, godly discipline is ALWAYS done in love in accordance with God's instruction. But .. it is an open forum and I'm no mod.

I include v.16 with the following Proverb because it so much applies to this discussion.

Proverbs 29:
            The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
            16 When the wicked are multiplied, transgression increaseth: but the righteous shall see their fall.

There are many things along this line that God tells us. But corporal punishment isn't the only discipline needed or all that should be used.

Proverbs 6:
            For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

Instruction .. and strong, emphatic instruction (reproofs) is necessary too.

Proverbs 12:
            1 Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.

Proverbs 13:
            Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured.

and one more ... of many ..

Proverbs 15:
            A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent.

Gotta run ...
            Issachar
            Last edited by Issachar; 09-12-2012, 09:29 PM. Reason: decided not to leave the testimony ...
            The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

Working...
            X