X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3,000ft high dust cloud rolls across Arizona again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sky-brown.html

Re: 3,000ft high dust cloud rolls across Arizona again

I debated whether to post on this or not. I will just say this, the comments by long-term residents speaks volumes about how the media is trying to sensationalize the news or what many of us who are accustom to this kind of weather, non-news.

Comment

Interesting, John - you're saying the level of dust cloud that we saw all over our TV screens is normal and it's the news media that's sensationalizing it?

I honestly didn't know that.

Comment

news or non-news... those pics are pretty spectacular

Comment

Yeah, they are pretty spectacular pictures. I recall my mom telling me when they lived in New Mexico back in the 50's they had dust storms all the time. She said the dust would come in under the doors and windows. Pretty much any place there was an opening. Is there anyone here that lives in Arizona or has lived in that area for a long time and can tell us if this is normal weather?

Comment

They are normal for many desert areas including Arizona.

The one on the 5th was one or the largest recorded in the area. Because of its magnitude the media was picking up on "doomsday and apocalyptic" terms.

http://www.salient-news.com/2011/07/...or-dust-storm/

Comment

Dust Bowl years in the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl

I would say the extent of their destruction has the potential to be newsworthy by times.

Comment

Originally posted by abiding love View Post
                Yeah, they are pretty spectacular pictures. I recall my mom telling me when they lived in New Mexico back in the 50's they had dust storms all the time. She said the dust would come in under the doors and windows. Pretty much any place there was an opening. Is there anyone here that lives in Arizona or has lived in that area for a long time and can tell us if this is normal weather?
                I grew up in Alamogordo NM and I have never seen a dust storm that big??? I remember being on the playground and running away from dust storms but nothing as big as those.

Comment

Working...
                X