X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megachurch Files Bankruptcy

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/18...est=latestnews

Megachurch Birthplace of 'Hour of Power' Files for Bankruptcy in California

I guess all the extras are finally catching up with them.

Re: Megachurch Files Bankruptcy

God's judgment on a "ministry" that taught a false gospel ???

Comment

They lost a lot of financial support after the elder Robert Schuller removed his son from preaching who then resigned a couple months later from being the pastor there.

I have no clue what the son was teaching there, but his dad always had that everyone-is-God's-child, universalist teaching. On a trip to Anaheim for an NRB convention some years ago, my son and the group of Christian broadcasters he was with, visited that glass cathedral. They went up into this so called "prayer tower" and there he saw a large crystal, rotating and people could kneel there and pray. weird.

Issachar, thinks that things should be just a tad bit simpler ...
      The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Issachar View Post
        Issachar, thinks that things should be just a tad bit simpler ...
        How about - a nice, quiet, closet??

Comment

Andy, as in "prayer closet?"

I have a question and likely some comments to pose .. I think I want to do it in the "Christian Community" thread or whatever I called it ...

Issachar
          The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

Yes, that'd be it, brother. Sometimes I'm in just a little too big a hurry when I post. That extra "T" just was a stutter of my keyboard. (not really..just sloppiness!)

Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Comment

Originally posted by lewisb View Post
              God's judgment on a "ministry" that taught a false gospel ???
              Could be...but it could also be a simple matter of taking on too much debt. I say that because:

1) There are literally thousands of churches out there closing each year that...while they probably aren't culturally relevant anymore...they aren't heretical/unorthodox and they are closing because they are overloaded with debt (either through over-extending themselves or years of decline).

2) There are a lot of ministries out there that are teaching out and out heresy...making out like bandits...debt free.

So...in the CC's situation...I imagine its a little of both.

I am still active duty Air Force...but that is my tent making job. My ministry runs out of a mega-church in Houston and its purpose is to come along side these types of churches (the failing ones that are not heretics...not of the CC variety) and offer council on how to "right the ship" so to speak. We have a couple of churches in our consult that are almost bankrupt. They are overloaded with debts...not because they have loans...but because they have bills and large campuses from when they are large churches. One has an auditorium that almost seats 2500...and runs 170 now on Sunday. It is within 10 months of closing its doors because that is when the money will run out.

That church is not heretical...they teach sound doctrine. However...some time in the past they lost their first love and fell in love with "doing church and tradition." And now...Jesus has come for their candlestick.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post
                Could be...but it could also be a simple matter of taking on too much debt. I say that because:

1) There are literally thousands of churches out there closing each year that...while they probably aren't culturally relevant anymore...they aren't heretical/unorthodox and they are closing because they are overloaded with debt (either through over-extending themselves or years of decline).

2) There are a lot of ministries out there that are teaching out and out heresy...making out like bandits...debt free.

So...in the CC's situation...I imagine its a little of both.

I am still active duty Air Force...but that is my tent making job. My ministry runs out of a mega-church in Houston and its purpose is to come along side these types of churches (the failing ones that are not heretics...not of the CC variety) and offer council on how to "right the ship" so to speak. We have a couple of churches in our consult that are almost bankrupt. They are overloaded with debts...not because they have loans...but because they have bills and large campuses from when they are large churches. One has an auditorium that almost seats 2500...and runs 170 now on Sunday. It is within 10 months of closing its doors because that is when the money will run out.

That church is not heretical...they teach sound doctrine. However...some time in the past they lost their first love and fell in love with "doing church and tradition." And now...Jesus has come for their candlestick.
                Would that be 2d Baptist Nelson? Where you are that is.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
                  Would that be 2d Baptist Nelson? Where you are that is.
                  Sagemont.

Comment

Just have to say - SURE good to see you out here, Nelson! Welcome back, BIG time.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                      Just have to say - SURE good to see you out here, Nelson! Welcome back, BIG time.
                      Thanks Andy. I am so busy. I do lurk...but just have such limited time....most of the time. However...I saw this and hoped I could contribute a little.

BTW...for any church leaders out there...We (Sagemont) are hosting (putting on) a Urban Symposium next November (2011). My missions pastor and I are still trying to determine the scope...along with the IMB/NAM...but hopefully it will be a good chance for churches of all sizes to come and learn how to minister to their communities again....especially if they are in urban areas.

Comment

Despite this headline, Windex's profits are still up this year.

Comment

Working...
                        X