Focusing on what is really important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focusing on what is really important

Never mind the fact that these people have lost their homes, jobs, neighborhoods and some have lost loved ones. They are displaced people in need of a place of REFUGE (hence the name "refugee"). Let's ignore their actual needs and instead argue over what we call them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050906/..._refugees__hk4

Use of the Word 'Refugee' Stirs Debate

By JOCELYN NOVECK, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 16 minutes ago

NEW YORK - What do you call people who have been driven from their homes with only the clothes on their backs, unsure if they will ever be able to return, and forced to build a new life in a strange place? News organizations are struggling for the right word.

Many, including The Associated Press, have used "refugee" to describe those displaced by the wrath of Hurricane Katrina.

But the choice has stirred anger among some readers and other critics, particularly in the black community. They have argued that "refugee" somehow implies that the displaced storm victims, many of whom have been black, are second-class citizens — or not even Americans.

"It is racist to call American citizens refugees," the Rev.
    Jesse Jackson said, visiting the Houston Astrodome on Monday.

(As a personal request (not representing the leadership team):
    Would all the wonderful "people of color" who frequent this website please tell me that this directionless, valueless {lacking values} illiterate person does not speak for you?)
    Last edited by MichaelJ; 09-06-2005, 05:20 PM. Reason: request added

Re: Focusing on what is really important

Amazing. Absolutely Amazing. But, it's Jesse Jackson so...

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJ
      "It is racist to call American citizens refugees," the Rev.
      Jesse Jackson said, visiting the Houston Astrodome on Monday.
      Ahh...our old friend JJ has crawled out from under his rock...again. Where is Bill Cosby when you need him?

Comment

Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Jesse 18:20 For where two or three cameras are gathered together for any reason at all, there am I in the midst of them.

Honestly, I mean no disrespect to any person who holds Jesse in high regard. We can disagree agreeably about his public personna. Only God knows his heart.

Comment

Apparently, Mr. Jackson's words have resonated all the way to Washington.

WHITE HOUSE In the debate about how to describe those displaced by Hurricane Katrina, President Bush is joining those who don't like the word "refugees."

The president tells reporters, "The people we're talking about are not refugees, they are Americans."

Comment

They aren't all african americans. Yes, I believe the majority are, but they are not the only race represented in this tragedy. Aren't we all Americans? If so, and I were taken from my home, etc. Would I not be a refugee if I were white?

Here is the definition from dictionary.com:

ref·u·gee ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rfy-j)
            n.
            One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            [French réfugié, from past participle of réfugier, to take refuge, from Old French, from refuge, refuge. See refuge.]

So much to do, so sad that this takes precedence...

In His care,
            Tammy

Comment

Working...
            X