Compassion....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compassion....

We had some hurricane refugees in our church on Sunday. Two families. One family's husband is still in NO. He is a cop and will probably be there for awhile.

The other family is a family of three. Husband and wife had to carry their daughter out by holding her above their heads. The water was neck deep.

Our pastor had them stand up and the church gathered around and prayed over them. Then afterwards they got bombarded with people giving them money. Somebody gave the husband a job and promised the wife to help her find one.

They aren't moving back either. They are planning on restarting here in Austin. I have been hearing that alot on the news. Texas got flooded with refugees...no pun intended.

They were shocked by the generosity here. We have people left and right going down to the Convention Center downtown and grabbing a family and bringing them home with them to live. They said if something like this had happened to Texas there is no way N.O would have done a thing for them.

I started the "spoiled america" thread and kinda regret it now. While the nation as a whole still has that "I deserve everything" mentality, their has been some real generosity going on...especially from the church.

Re: Compassion....

Our church is currently housing 60 of the evacuees. The plan is not for long term residence but to get them placed in long term housing asap and then bring more in; basically to serve as a conduit for hooking people up. There are interesting and harrowing stories being told. One man told of using a refrigerator as a boat to ferry people to safety.

The team of people that went to the astrodome to bring people to our church was pretty amazed that at first it was hard convincing people to come. The first trip only found 7 willing. It took several trips to finally reach capacity.

Comment

Re: Compassion....

Same hear Michael. People still have family members missing and don't want to leave places like the Astrodome or the Austin Convention Center here until they locate the rest of their family. I can't say as I blame them.

Comment

Working...
      X