• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some evacuees see religious message in Katrina

Some evacuees see religious message in Katrina

Sep 4, 5:29 PM (ET)

By Adam Tanner

HOUSTON (Reuters) - In the last week, Joseph Brant lost his apartment, walked by scores of dead in the streets, traversed pools of toxic water and endured an arduous journey to escape the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in his hometown New Orleans.

On Sunday, he was praising the Lord, saying the ordeal was a test that ended up dispelling his lifelong distrust of white people and setting his life on a new course. He said he hitched a ride on Friday in a van driven by a group of white folks.

"Before this whole thing I had a complex about white people; this thing changed me forever," said Brant, 36, a truck driver who, like many of the refugees receiving public assistance in Houston, Texas, is black.

"It was a spiritual experience for me, man," he said of the aftermath of a catastrophe al Qaeda-linked Web sites called evidence of the "wrath of God" striking an arrogant America.

Brant was one of many refugees across Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi who gave thought to religion on Sunday, almost a week after the floods changed their lives, perhaps forever.

At the Astrodome in Houston, where 16,000 refugees received food and shelter, Rose McNeely took the floods as a sign from God to move away from New Orleans, where she said her two grown children had been killed in past years in gunfights.

"I lost everything I had in New Orleans," she said. "He brought me here because he knows."

Nearby, others looked for a different kind of higher ground and smoked marijuana in the shade outside the Astrodome.

Inside, Gerald Greenwood, 55, had collected a free Bible but sat watching a science fiction television program above the stands in an enclosed stadium once home to Houston's baseball and football teams. "This is the work of Satan right here," he said of the floods.

The Bible was one of the few books many of the refugees had among their possessions. Several Jehovah's Witnesses walked around thousands of cots to offer their services.

THE WAGES OF SIN

The Salvation Army conducted an outside religious service that included songs such as "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."

"Natural disaster is caused by the sin in the world," said Maj. John Jones, the group's area commander. "The acts of God are what happens afterwards ... all the good that happens."

Others took a different view, including Tim Washington, 42, who on Saturday waited at the New Orleans' Superdome to be evacuated. "God made all this happen for a reason. This city has been going to hell in a handbasket spiritually," he said.

"If we can spend billions of dollars chasing after (Osama) bin Laden, can't we get guns and drugs off the street?," he asked. Washington said he stole a boat last Monday and he and a friend, using wooden fence posts as oars, delivered about 200 people to shelter.

The Salvation Army's Jones was one of many trying to comfort victims in Sunday services across several states.

At St. Aloysius Catholic Church in Baton Rouge, several hundred local parishioners and storm survivors attended Sunday services. "I wish we could take your broken hearts and give you ours," Rev. Donald Blanchard told the gathering.

Some people walked out of the church in tears mid-service.

At St. Francis Xavier Church, a black Catholic Church in Baton Rouge, the mood was a mix of frustration, bitterness and profound joy. As evacuees stood one by one to introduce themselves, parishioners clapped and cried, celebrating their guests' good fortune in simply being alive.

"For those who were alone in the water, alone on the roof, you might ask 'What did we do to deserve this?"' the Rev. Lowell Case said. "A lot of us think being black may have had something to do with it, being poor and black in New Orleans."

Churches in many states have taken in evacuees and organized aid for people who in many cases had lost everything. But at least some bristled at the role of religion in helping the afflicted.

"We're getting reports of how some religion-based 'aid' groups are trying to fly evangelists into the stricken areas and how U.S. Army chaplains are carrying bibles -- not food or water -- to 'comfort' people," Ellen Johnson, president of American Atheist, said in a statement.

"People need material aid, medical care and economic support -- not prayers and preaching."

(Additional reporting by Jim Loney and Michael Peltier in Baton Rouge and Mark Egan in New Orleans)
    http://reuters.myway.com/article/200...CHURCH-DC.html

Re: Some evacuees see religious message in Katrina

"People need material aid, medical care and economic support -- not prayers and preaching."

Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Comment

Epistle of James 2:5-6, 12-18, 20, 22, 24 KJV

5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which He hath promised to them that love Him?

6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?

12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

13 For He (God) shall have judgment without mercy, (against those) that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath Faith, and have not Works? can Faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, "Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?"

17 Even so Faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, "Thou hast Faith, and I have Works: shew me thy Faith without thy Works, and I will shew thee my Faith by my Works."

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that Faith without Works is dead?

22 Seest thou how Faith wrought with his Works, and by Works was Faith made perfect?

24 Ye see then how that by Works a man is justified, and not by Faith only.
      Last edited by N1095A; 09-05-2005, 12:08 PM.

Comment

We're getting reports of how some religion-based 'aid' groups are trying to fly evangelists into the stricken areas and how U.S. Army chaplains are carrying bibles -- not food or water -- to 'comfort' people," Ellen Johnson, president of American Atheist, said in a statement.
        I would suggest that there are plenty more people to carry food and water, and far less to carry the Word of God to those who are in need. Perhaps the chaplain she got "reports of" had already given everything he had to give and had only his Bible left to share. Just because an atheist says this, why should we believe the words that come out of her mouth? Of course she will despise every effort of God from every direction. I pray one day she has an experience just like Saul of Tarsus.

Comment

Besides just simply doing the right thing, there's an opportunity here. If the athiest says "here is food and water" and the Christian goes by, smirking, and says "God's will. You got what you deserved!" to which shall the people find more merciful and to whom shall they find filled with compassion?

It will be the atheist, not the Christian who is supposed to show the compassion and forgiveness of the God, which He extended to us in His Son.

(not blaming anyone here but I'm venting a little bit...)

All over the web I see Christians talking about how stupid the people were, how it's their own fault, they should have known, they should have left, blah, blah, blah and basically not only ignoring the tragedy but condemning those still surviving.

And then, Christians wonder why nobody wants to become a Christian or join our Churches. And the growth of Christian Churches lags and people scratch their heads trying to figure out why.

If I may go non-Scriptural for a sec and quote Bob Dylan:

"The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind"

By the way, according to God, we were stupid, it's our own fault, we should have known, we should not have sinned, blah, blah, blah.

And He still came with Mercy. That is the definition of Mercy. It is given when it is unwarranted, undeserved and even in the face of initial rejection.
          Last edited by N1095A; 09-05-2005, 12:38 PM.

Comment

It's that whole 'we have to blame someone' mentality. What is wrong with just accepting what is instead of trying place blame on whomever? It's everyone's fault and no one's fault. We either ALL take the blame, or we ALL stop blaming. As far as Christianity has to do with it, we must recognise that our sin caused the fall of the world into caos and therefore we must all stop trying to look as though somehow we would have done it better. Accusations only fly when there is personal guilt which needs to be hidden. Ask Adam about that.

Comment

Accusations only fly when there is personal guilt which needs to be hidden.
              I think you lost me on that one in relation to New Orleans / Katrina. Help?

Comment

I remember, before I became a Christian, thinking the exact same statement as the above. It grieves me to know that is how most unbelievers see what we do in the Name of Jesus. It's because of His love that we reach out. We know from where our hope and strength and comfort comes. We just want to share that with them and it is looked upon with distrust and distain.

Why was I unable to see the sincerity in Christians before I became one? I don't know why. What do we have to do, next to being like Mother Theresa, to convince them that we truly love them. I don't have the answer. I guess it's been an age old problem from the very beginning of time.

Comment

As my Baptist preacher once said, after we share the food, we might have an opportunity to share the Gospel. Nothing like charity to a person in need.

Comment

Originally posted by N1095A
                    I think you lost me on that one in relation to New Orleans / Katrina. Help?
                    Accusation of blame, in any situation including this one where everyone is blaming everyone else etc, usually hides personal guilt. Like when Adam, in his own guilt, blamed Eve for making him eat the fruit. So when people throw blame around, it is usually to hide their own guilt for something.

Does that make more sense?

Comment

Why was I unable to see the sincerity in Christians before I became one? I don't know why.
                      Probably because you didn't want to see it. Then you would have had to admit that there was something to this christianity thing after all.

Comment

Probably because you didn't want to see it. Then you would have had to admit that there was something to this christianity thing after all.
                        You do have a point Sandi. But as I remember it, I just thought Christians were just another group of people that believed in something no different or better than any other religion. They were just more vocal about what they believed than others. It's really hard trying to remember my thoughts back then. But I think it's important to do, so whatever things I pointed my finger at as a non-Christian, I won't be guilty of as the believer that I am now. Not sure if I'm making sense. I just want to take the ball away from the players so they can see His Truth instead of their excuses etc.

As my Baptist preacher once said, after we share the food, we might have an opportunity to share the Gospel. Nothing like charity to a person in need.
                        Amen Bobby! Amen

Comment

Amen, Cenna. I can honestly say that I would not have come home to the Father had it not been for some wonderful people who fed me first and then preached to me. It's hard to think about spiritual matters when you haven't eaten in a couple of days.

Comment

where everyone is blaming everyone else etc
                            If I understand you, you're saying people (not blaming anyone here, I just see this all over the web) want to blame the people of New Orleans and that's how it sounds to me too. For me, I wouldn't attribute it to guilt (per se) but rather as a comfort agent of "I don't have to care" because

1) God smacked 'em or
                            2) They deserved it anyways or
                            3) They were stupid or
                            4) All three

And as I read your post from earlier you were saying (essentially) things just happen sometimes and I agree with that.
                            Last edited by N1095A; 09-05-2005, 09:22 PM.

Comment

To Whom It May Concern:

Katrina happened because we live in a fallen world. Period. End of sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X