Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the poor stayed in New Orleans

Living paycheck to paycheck made staging a quick evacuation impossible

An unidentified homeless man stands among thousands of empty chairs near the New Orleans' Convention Center on Saturday.

By Wil Haygood
    The Washington Post
    Updated: 9:51 a.m. ET Sept. 4, 2005

NEW ORLEANS - To those who wonder why so many stayed behind when push came to water's mighty shove here, those who were trapped have a simple explanation: Their nickels and dimes and dollar bills simply didn't add up to stage a quick evacuation mission.

"Me and my wife, we were living paycheck to paycheck, like most everybody else in New Orleans," Eric Dunbar, 54, said Saturday.

He was standing on wobbly, thin legs in the bowels of the semi-darkened Louis Armstrong Airport, where he had been delivered with many others after having been plucked by rescuers from a roadway.

He offered a mini-tutorial in the economic reality of his life.

"I don't own a car. Me and my wife, we travel by bus, public transportation. The most money I ever have on me is $400. And that goes to pay the rent. And that $400 is between me and my wife." Her name is Dorth Dunbar; she was trying to get some rest after days of peril.

'Just a basic existence'

Dunbar estimated his annual income to be about $20,000, which comes from doing graphic design work when he can get it. Before the storm, when he and his wife estimated how much money they needed to flee the city, he was saddened by the reality that he could not come up with anywhere near the several thousand dollars he might need for a rental car and airfare.

"If I took my wife out to dinner, it was once a month," he said, sounding as if even those modest good times had come to an abrupt end. "We'd go to Piccadilly's. Never any movies. Really, it's a simple life. I go to work, come home, talk to my wife, go to bed, then back to work again. A basic existence."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9195946/

(excerpted - read more at above link)

Re: Why the poor stayed in New Orleans

Fox News has been reporting all morning that many of the people that stayed behind did so because they wanted to. As a matter of fact there are still a good deal of people with children and elderly family members living in the attics of their homes that refuse to leave, even though they don't have food and water. Many of them said they owned cars and could have left town in time, but simply did not want to leave their homes. The rescuers are frustrated. They're willing to risk their own lives to help these people, but they rsefuse to go.
    A Moment Gone Is Lost Forever
    A Moment In Prayer Will Last Forever

Comment

Well, I'm sure Fox News hasn't talked to everyone.

Many of them, I'm sure, didn't count on the levee breaking and hated to leave their homes abandoned as it was all they had.

Comment

Quite frankly, that's all any of us have.... our homes, and lots of people live paycheck to paycheck, unless of course they have a lot of money in reserve.

I'm pretty sure that the warnings to leave that they're speaking of were given after the hurricane had passed and it became obvious that the levee had broken. I can remember hearing the warnings when they were issued.

My family also lives near water, and we've had some of them come to our home and stay until hurricanes have passed over.

I don't think Fox News was talking about everyone left behind. I was just surprised to hear that so many wanted to stay. I was under the impression that these people had no choice and were trapped.
        A Moment Gone Is Lost Forever
        A Moment In Prayer Will Last Forever

Comment

I think many of them just felt like they had no choice.

Comment

In south eastern Florida, we aren't in danger of levees breaking. But I remember last year about this time when Frances began to make her slow trek inland (thank God it was slow) that hundreds were caught on the interstates. What is usually a 2.5 hour trip from here to Orlando had motorists stranded for 8 hours plus. Many ran out of gas from sitting idleing, moving inches at a time. It takes roughly (under good conditions) 6 hours to hit the Georgia state line from here....Add another hour if you're coming from Miami and another 6-7 hours if you're coming from Key West!

The other day, our family was discussing the possibilities for evacuation in the event of a bad hurricane approach. It's something we can't decide on or even work out a plan for. Because storms are so unpredictable, do we pack up and drive out, hoping not to get stranded on the road? Do we try to get a flight out? If we get out, where do we go?....since hurricanes paths go north and often impact Georgia. Do we get stuck in a motel somewhere that experiences impact.....

In the other states, evacuating is quicker, even with traffic backup...but we have to drive at the least 6 hours just to get to the point where we have to make a choice as to which route we take next....since I10 is now out of service to the west..we'd have to go as far north as Atlanta to pickup I20 to go west......

Still am undecided on an evac plan for us, should the time arrive. Will have to face that at the time, I guess. Prayer and Faith in the Lord is the main plan. \0/

Comment

Vicki, I think you should just move away from there altogether. Come to the Northwest. At least you only have to worry about the "big one" and the occasional active volcano.

Doesn't it seem easier to trust in the Lord with all your heart, and not in your own understanding? In all our ways, lets acknowledge HIM and HE will direct our paths. If He decides to take us home, aren't we better off with Him anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandylion
                Doesn't it seem easier to trust in the Lord with all your heart, and not in your own understanding? In all our ways, lets acknowledge HIM and HE will direct our paths. If He decides to take us home, aren't we better off with Him anyway?
                Amen!
                Sandi, Folks on our side of the continent often catch themselves saying, "Thank God, we don't live in an area where we experience these sorts of catastrophes. Well, maybe we don't have hurricanes, but we are sitting on a ticking time bomb, so to speak. Yes, the ominous "Big One" could occur at any moment. I am so happy to know that my God is in control, and nothing will happen to me that isn't part of His loving plan for my life. As you said, "If He decides to take us home, aren't we better off with Him anyway?"
                Amen!!!

Comment

Dream

Originally posted by Sandylion
                  AMEN to that!!

I had a dream several years ago (1999 maybe), which I had mentioned here. It occurred 3 times in one night...always the same, but in my dream, my actions differed.
                  Each time, I saw a low flying (maybe 20 feet off the ground), very slow flying, missle coming toward the house.
                  The first time I followed by car to the ocean where it appeared to detonate about 3 miles out, over the Gulf Stream. The initial blast hit me and the dream ended.
                  The 2nd time, I was watching for the missle. Instead of following, I got my husband to get in the car with me to outrun it. Stopped by my parents' house, begged them to go and my mother said "No, because my father wasn't there and she wouldn't leave without him." We got back on the road headed west. Traffic clogged the roads. We were going as fast as we could on the shoulder of the road trying to put enough miles between us and what would be the immediately fatal, initial blast. But couldn't outrun it. The blast got us.
                  The 3rd time: again I was watching for it. When the missle crossed over our house, my husband and I went onto the backporch, which faced east. We sat down in our chairs, embraced and began praying.....there was much comfort in this last dream....and I have never had it since.

It seemed to me that the dream was telling me to rely TOTALLY on the Lord in all crisis...and to stop worrying over how to counter everything...because as we know, there are some things we absolutely have no control over....

Comment

... stop worrying over how to counter everything...because as we know, there are some things we absolutely have no control over....
                    You may not have necessarily meant for this to happen Vicki, but that one phrase was for me this very morning.

Issachar
                    The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

\o/ .... I marvel over HIM!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X