Lottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lottery

Please forgive the non prophecy question.
    Some one please tell me why it's so wrong for christians to buy a lottery ticket. I have always heard it's wrong but the priests of old carried the equivalant of dice around and used it all the time to get God's answers on things. And Proverbs tells us the lot is cast into the lap but the outcome is determined by God. So why is it wrong for a Christian to cast his lot into the lap by buying a lottery ticket and turst the Lord for the outcome?

Re: Lottery

Hi All4Him
    When the priests of old cast lots or what ever it was to get a direction from G_d.
    To save space here is where you can find the answer to this question.
    http://christiananswers.net/q-acb/acb-g001.html
    YIC Jay

Comment

Any other of you good people have feeback? The points on this site don't seem very strong to me..

Comment

I think this might also apply to whether a Christian can have a few beers on the weekend. I don't think the Bible specifically forbids either one. As long as it is done in moderation.

Even Jesus drank wine while He was on earth and said that He would drink it again after His return.

_

Comment

Well the analogy of casting lots and lottery is not a proper application of the Scripture as there was no chance of winning money with what they were doing. They were seeking direction from God. So those references cannot be used to justify it.

Many of us have played, no doubt. And there are some who haven't. But there's no Scripture anywhere that can be used to show it as a good thing, per se. FWIW

Comment

All4him,
            The question that needs to be asked is: Why would a Christian want to gamble?
            If a Christian has money to throw away on gambling, perhaps it would be better spent on tasks that would further the kingdom of God.

Just my opinion.

Comment

What is speculation in the stock market? Is it not gambling in a sense?

_

Comment

What is speculation in the stock market? Is it not gambling in a sense?

Investing in a company with the hope of increasing your initial investment isn't the same as gambling. (unless you're talking about day-traders)
                Investing is a long-term opportunity, while gambling falls within the "immediate gratification" category.

I think that the link below spells out the dangers of gambling quite well.

http://www.crosswalk.com/family/finances/1310331.html

Comment

The stock is certainly gambling for some. New Orleans was gambling that they would not get flooded. Living in the desert, I'm betting big that the water supply doesn't get interrupted.

Comment

Investing in a company with the hope of increasing your initial investment isn't the same as gambling. (unless you're talking about day-traders)
                    Investing is a long-term opportunity, while gambling falls within the "immediate gratification" category.
                    So, day-traders are gambling, but if you wait an extended period of time you're not? How long before it becomes sinful? If I buy stock and cash it in the next day, that's a sin, but if I wait 6 months it's not? Who determines the cutoff date when it becomes sinful?

_

Comment

Many states, if not all (??), have education lotteries. So basically, people are supporting education in buying lottery tickets (that is, if the money is actually being used and not abused for education). The benefit in buying the ticket supports education (although it is the public school system) with the chance of having a payoff. Sorry if I'm playing devil's advocate here. I don't really know if it's good one way or the other. Just thought I'd throw this out there. North Carolina just passed the bill for a lottery.

Comment

So, day-traders are gambling, but if you wait an extended period of time you're not? How long before it becomes sinful? If I buy stock and cash it in the next day, that's a sin, but if I wait 6 months it's not? Who determines the cutoff date when it becomes sinful?

Rusty, did you read the link?

Comment

"There is no Eleventh Commandment" in the Bible directly stating "Thou shalt not gamble." However, I submit to you that gambling violates at least five doctrines of Scripture: the sovereignty of God, stewardship, covetousness, brotherly love, and God's instruction not to be brought under the power of anything.
                          The inherent reliance on "luck" or "chance" when gambling promotes a worldview in direct contradiction to biblical Christianity. Putting our faith in chance or "fate" contradicts our belief in a purposeful creation ordered and directed by the Sovereign God that we serve.
                          I would agree with this if are talking about a person who is obsessed to the point where they cannot control themselves. I can also see where someone might get carried away in the stock market and think they are going to hit it big with a particular stock so they invest everything and eventually lose it all. What the articles seems to say is that in this case it was decreed by God that they should lose this money, but if they had bet a hand playing poker God has nothing to do with that so they are taking a chance.

Sometimes it just seems to me that people have an opinion of what they think is okay and what is not okay, so they go and find scriptures that appear to support their point of view.

"The Bible does not say "Thou shalt not gamble." However, I submit to you that gambling violates at least five doctrines of Scripture
                          This quote right here could also say, "Gambling is not in the Bible, but let me tell you why I think it does indirectly."

_
                          Last edited by HeIsTruth; 09-05-2005, 07:00 PM.

Comment

This quote right here could also say, "Gambling is not in the Bible, but let me tell you why I think it does indirectly."

So, if it isn't directly stated in the Bible, then it's okay?

If that's the case, then it must be acceptable for a pastor to preach at the pulpit with a cigarette hanging from his lips, with his 10 year old girlfriend in the front row.

Comment

Humble, I think you bring up some valid points.

I think this is one of those arguments that could go back and forth forever, but to be honest, I simply don't know if it is wrong or not.

I think anything can be wrong if you are obsessed by it and it alters your life in a negative way.

_

Comment

Working...
                              X