NO/Katrina/people there remind me of Sodom/God's judgment/Lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO/Katrina/people there remind me of Sodom/God's judgment/Lot

Lot made a selfish choice to go live in the fertile valley and sat at the gate of a city filled with sin (Sodom)...when God decided to judge Sodom for its sinful ways (including rapes) he sent a warning to Lot and his family to leave the city...his sons-in-law thought he was joking and didn't go.... even LOT lingered before he and his family were led out by the angels...his wife even looked back and died.....then the city was destroyed

NO also had a reputation of being a city of sin...including rapes as we have heard on the news) mingled with some righteous in God's eyes like LOT I am sure....God obviously decided he was going to wipe out NO (as he controls the waves and the seas) but in His mercy He sent out warnings for the people to leave, as we read in one sister's e-mail from there there were also those that mocked and stayed and a levee burst right near them.......some listened like LOT and his family, somewhat reluctantly and left...some didn't listen, stayed and were destroyed.

What is it that is so attractive about a place of sin it is hard to leave such a place even when it is known destruction is coming?

Re: NO/Katrina/people there remind me of Sodom/God's judgment/Lot

Peter 2:5-9

5And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

6And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

7And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:

8(For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds

9The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
    Last edited by cnav; 09-03-2005, 10:29 PM.

Comment

People that were disabled, poor or in hospitals simply didn't have a good way to get out. The hurricane actually didn't kill that many people. It was the break in the levees that did most of the real damage (flooding) causing so many to die. It might have been easier to secure the city had the levees not broken and Lake Ponchatrain drain into the city.

I, right now, could not afford to run to another city and stay in a hotel for $65 - $85 a night. Especially for a few weeks to months.
      Last edited by N1095A; 09-03-2005, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I agree, there were a lot of people who could not leave, most people
        could not go and stay in a hotel for a long period of time. I also think some
        may have stayed because N.O. had been missed by several hurricanes
        and they were hoping this one would miss them too.

Comment

The Marriott in Dallas, a nice hotel, but hardly upscale, was $135 a night when I went there for company business in January, 1994.

$135 a night. They were good. They beat you to the room from the front desk when you got your key. When I got to the room after getting the luggage from the car, the ice bucket was already filled and they were not to be seen.

When I went to dinner, I came back, the bed was turned down and a chocolate was wrapped on the pillow.

$135 a night, though, in 1994.

We did get a negotiated rate of $50 at the Ritz-Carlton in St. Louis. That was nice.

Comment

A warning still went out...........leave........some just didn't want to go and some mocked not all but some

Comment

Well, it's not quite as easy as it sounds. Nobody expected the levee to break. Not really anyways. How often when you get a tornado warning do you throw clothes in the car and food and drive off to another city?

Even still, old people, with no money, who eat dog food since it's $7 for 22 lbs at Wal-Mart could not have done a thing. What a way to die. They might have been in a wheelchair and drowned.

What are the "righteous" cities in North America? Or anywhere in the world? I would be curious to know. I expect the Mormons would claim Salt Lake City but...

Comment

It was just a thought.....no more!

I am sure there were old, elderly and sick in Sodom too....and I am sure it was not them that was attempting to come after the angels.

Comment

It cost a lot to evacuate for a storm. It has cost us anywhere from $350 up for gas and 1 overnight hotel stay. A lot of people didn't have the money and didn't think that it would be this bad. My cousin stayed in his house because he didn't want to leave his two dogs. What an excuse! When we were evacuated last year for Ivan and this year for Dennis, my dog and cats came with me in cages. He was just hard-headed and wouldn't leave his home. I just found out yesterday that he's okay. But I have an aunt and cousin who live in Arabi, St.Bernard parish that I don't know anything about. I don't know whether they left before the storm or if they're still there. The water is to the roof in that area. She's a recluse, a little crazy and I doubt very seriously if she left. My cousin isn't much better. You would be surprised just how many people in N.O. are/were just like that.

One more thing about living in N.O. When you're a visitor there or have been gone for a while and return, you see all the filth, but when you live there everyday, it's almost like you're numb to it. It's your home and you've become accustom to living there. You just don't see the city through the same eyes as a visitor. I've been in both positions.

Comment

Working...
                  X