Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Orleans Left to the Dead and Dying

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ricane_katrina

NEW ORLEANS - Thousands more bedraggled refugees were bused and airlifted to salvation Saturday, leaving the heart of New Orleans to the dead and dying, the elderly and frail stranded too many days without food, water or medical care.

No one knows how many were killed by Hurricane Katrina's floods and how many more succumbed waiting to be rescued. But the bodies are everywhere: hidden in attics, floating among the ruined city, crumpled on wheelchairs, abandoned on highways.

And the dying goes on — at the convention center and an airport triage center, where bodies were kept in a refrigerated truck.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Saturday that she expected the death toll to reach the thousands. And Craig Vanderwagen, rear admiral of the U.S. Public Health Service, said one morgue alone, at a St. Gabriel prison, expected 1,000 to 2,000 bodies.

Touring the airport triage center, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., a physician, said "a lot more than eight to 10 people are dying a day."

Most were those too sick or weak to survive. But not all.

Charles Womack, a 30-year-old roofer, said he saw one man beaten to death and another commit suicide at the Superdome. Womack was beaten with a pipe and being treated at the airport triage center.

(excepted - read more at above link)

Re: New Orleans Left to the Dead and Dying

According to Reuters, one man was beaten to death after he raped a gril

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N03464940.htm
    last paragrpah

"We found a young girl raped and killed in the bathroom," one National Guard soldier told Reuters. "Then the crowd got the man and they beat him to death."

Comment

Yikes. The major problem with mob justice is sometimes they get the wrong person. That's why it's illegal in America and most other countries that have a court system.

Comment

On the other hand, we have a government that looks lightly upon rape and murder but is afraid to shoot looters. Looters left to themselves will end up killing others. We are too kind to the offenders.

Comment

Well, taking a person's life from them is a serious, serious, serious thing. How many here are ready to go down to New Orleans with a rifle and start picking people off though a scope because they were carrying Queen Latifah's "Beauty Shop" DVD's from Wal-Mart? (I submit watching the movie alone would be punishment enough - but hey, that's just me ).

I would hope not too many. Actually I would hope nobody.

Luke 9:51-56 (King James Version)

51 And it came to pass, when the time was come that He should be received up, He stedfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem,

52 And sent messengers before His face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for Him.

53 And they did not receive Him, because His face was as though He would go to Jerusalem.

54 And when His Disciples James and John saw this, they said, "Lord, wilt Thou that we command fire to come down from Heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? "

55 But He turned, and rebuked them, and said, "Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of."

56 "For the Son of Man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them." And they went to another village.
          I met a guy about 15 years ago that wanted to be on a SWAT team. Why? Very clearly from a 5 minute conversation it was clear to me he wanted to shoot somebody. Just shoot a stranger. Pretty doggone scary I might say.

I totally oppose people stealing TV's, etc. If the food was going to ruin, then the gov't should find a way to distribute it. Disaster brings out the best and the worst in people.
          Last edited by N1095A; 09-03-2005, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Stealing in this situation is not just stealing. This causes a whole breakout in law and order. The end result is that people die from this. It is better that it happen to the offenders.

Comment

I'm all for self-defense. Note the Scripture I just posted above, though.

Comment

Saw on FOX an old man with shopping cart filled to the rim with baby things...diapers, wipes, formula, pedia light, powder, etc. FOX was calling him "Robin Hood." This old man was just out distributing his stolen goods to mothers with babies that needed the stuff. In my opinion, this was right and good of him and as far as I know, he wasn't harmed or arrested.......

There is a time for every purpose....

Comment

Under certain martial law, I believe, they were saying food stuffs could be confiscated to distribute. As odd as it sounds, it might be necessary to prevent further riots, etc.

One cop I saw on TV said he was ordered not to prevent them from getting food. As I say, stealing TV's, etc. I cannot condone. I shudder to think what life would be like during the Tribulation. It cannot even be imagined.

Comment

If a guy has his hands full with a TV I assume he has no room for carrying food. At least he's leaving the food and water for the ones who are smart enough to figure out a TV is worthless when you have nowhere to put, plug it in, or watch it. Perhaps when he gets hungry thinking of all the burger ads he's hoping to watch, he'll find all the food taken by smarter folks than he. These guys are showing how low their IQ really is. Doh!

Comment

I imagine he's planning on fencing it (assuming it's not his TV that he's trying to save). Suffice to say, if they are carrying TV's out of a flooded Wal-Mart, then it's not his TV.

As with anything, there will be a percentage who will take advantage of the situation. I have no problem with them being stopped; I'm just glad it's done more with threats than bullets. For many reasons, unrestrained shooting of civilians in the streets is a very bad thing. So they let it go, perhaps too long, to keep from being shown around the world as shooting other Americans in the streets. That might be a good thing.

Think of the field day the worldwide press would have with THAT one. Far worse than anything that has been said or done up to this point.

Comment

Working...
                      X