X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pres. Bush hopes for PA state based on 67' bordes by end of term

Originally posted by Lay it to Heart
    Matthew 7:
    6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

What is this talking about? It does not seem to follow verses 1-5 or 7-11. Jesus may be refering to Israel letting the world share Jerusalem.
    As you say it doesn't seem to fit. I'm glad you posted it because it's oddly placed it seems. I was trying to find the parallel passage, if it exists, in Luke or Mark.

The only context I've seen for this is in relation to sharing the Gospel with those openly hostile to it. There was not much Jesus said before the Sanhedrin (though Peter did later) or in front of Pilate. Apparently not to the Roman soldiers who beat and mocked Him. The Bible is silent if He said anything. I would put the Pharisees, Sanhedrin and Romans who were openly hostile to the Gospel and sought only to kill Jesus and destroy the Gospel as to the proper context unless someone can convince me of something else.

Actually in Matthew 15:26 it is we Gentiles that are the "dogs". Yikes (actually we covered this in my Gospels class a long, long time ago). And I suspect most of us here are Gentiles.

Matthew 15:24,26-28 (New American Standard Bible)

24 But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

26 And He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs."

(don't worry my Gentile puppy-mates, we also get Saved by Faith in Him):
    27 But she said, "Yes, Lord; but even the dogs feed on the crumbs which fall from their Masters' table."

28 Then Jesus said to her, "O woman, your Faith is great; it shall be done for you as you wish." And her daughter was healed at once.
    Last edited by N1095A; 09-03-2005, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X