No announcement yet.

There but for the Grace of God go I...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There but for the Grace of God go I...

As I'm watching these things unfold, it kinda amazes me all the stuff that is going on. Then again, perhaps I should not be surprised.

While it is true that many should have evacuated, a good number of poor or ill people simply don't have those means. They are living hand-to-mouth here in America. And most, if not the overwhelming majority, did not expect the levee to fail. And that's where the majority of the deaths, etc. are occuring. The actual storm apparently didn't take out as many as Lake Ponchatrain draining into the city.

I could understand the food since most of it won't be useful in awhile anyways. But I agree there's no excuse for stealing TV's, DVD's, etc.

In Iraq, nearly 1,000 people were trampled when they thought a bomber was going to blow up. He didn't. And nearly 1,000 are dead now and about 400 injured.

Gangs of roving thugs comitting crimes certainly should be dealt with. But let's not, yet again, let our country be driven by partisan politics, as I think much of this is being painted in various places on the web.

Just a few weeks ago I stated (somewhere, can't remember) that I was worried about the economy and how the nation would handle it. When the history books are written, the economic smash of 2000 is going to be the first event that started this. When it occurred, in spring of 2000, I predicted where we would be in 18 months and I was dead-on except for house prices fueled by low interest rates. Other than that, with the accounting scandals and 9/11 piled on, it's far worse already than I imagined.

But now the world is trying to turn Americans on Americans. Well, I don't want to live in any of their countries either, and I could state a whole lot of reasons why, specific to many of them.

I'm just rambling here, but I think the Feds have been slow and this foolish notion that the state has to act is ridiculous. The Feds should have been on this one sooner. Before the levee broke. Anytime a city is evacuated you absolutely have to plan on National Guard, which is yes by state, but most of them have been pulled to Iraq.
Working...
X