Spoiled America...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spoiled America...

I think some of the blame is tv, and some of it is parenting. I have noticed teens that are so spoiled, it isn't funny. They don't know how to act in public. They have their cell phones, their disrespect, etc. I have a nephew and niece that are teens, and both of them came out okay, because their parents raised them right. My niece for awhile, was getting that disrespect attitude, and my sister put a stop to it quick. I am in charge of inmates at work. I have a few that come over and help clean the building. You would not believe how these kids act. I have a rule that I don't take anyone under 30. Well sometimes I get someone younger, and you wouldn't believe how these people talk, act, and essentially have no concern for authority. It's not a race thing, it's an age thing.
    It's like they don't get the fact they are in jail, it just never occurs to them. I am appalled at how things have gone downhill. I know they have to, but this quick? If more parent's don't take care of their kids, the law will have to, and they really can't do anything but lock these id*ots up.

Comment

I don't know if I'm the one who started the teen thing on this thread because of what I had said about mine, but I just wanted to add a couple of things.

I don't think my teens are really spoiled. (No worries, I totally didn't think anyone was refering to my kiddos, just adding to what I had written earlier. ) I do, however, know there are things that they really would like to have and sometimes, as with all teens, it feels like 'want' is all I hear. They definitely don't get everything they ask for, actually, even probably less then you may be thinking. My husband is in ministry and we don't have a ton of money, so they have to work and save for things that they want. Though, I don't (whether they pay or not), forsee cell phones in their future anytime soon.

I was able to take them to the shelter today, like I said I really wanted to do in the other post. It was such a strike of reality in their lives. There are literally, thousands of people at the convention center and the only belongings they have are those things that are on their bed or in a small box next to it. It was an awesome opportunity for them to not only share Christ's love with others, but to have a reality check - We are all but a moment's breath away from the same at any point in time, if the Lord so allows.

In His care,
      Tammy

Comment

I suppose this could be part of the scenario that prevents the U.S. from helping Israel, but more than that, I think it helps set the stage for the antichrist. Rather than being the world super power coming to the rescue of countries and peoples in need, the world is now seeing the U.S. suffering internally and arguably ill equiped to handle it. If another hurricane were to hit, as some say could happen, or some other natural or man-made disaster... well I can only imagine the chaos. The stage is clearly being set IMO.

Because of Jesus,
        Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Him
          I was able to take them to the shelter today, like I said I really wanted to do in the other post. It was such a strike of reality in their lives. There are literally, thousands of people at the convention center and the only belongings they have are those things that are on their bed or in a small box next to it. It was an awesome opportunity for them to not only share Christ's love with others, but to have a reality check - We are all but a moment's breath away from the same at any point in time, if the Lord so allows. In His care,Tammy
          Wow!! Tammy, what an excellent opportunity for your kids. (or anyone for that matter)

Comment

I was able to take them to the shelter today, like I said I really wanted to do in the other post. It was such a strike of reality in their lives. There are literally, thousands of people at the convention center and the only belongings they have are those things that are on their bed or in a small box next to it. It was an awesome opportunity for them to not only share Christ's love with others, but to have a reality check - We are all but a moment's breath away from the same at any point in time, if the Lord so allows. In His care,Tammy
            We were thinking of going down there too Tammy but heard that they have almost too many volunteers. Do you think thats the case?

What a great way to get the kids involved. My mother in law has taken my daughter (6 years old) to the Austin soup kitchen with her to prepare meals. She helped load the trays. Its never too early to get your kids trained on service.

Comment

I'll bet if you went through all your drawers and closets and pulled out everything you haven't worn for a year or more, you'd have lots of things to take down there to hand out to those who have nothing but the clothes they've been wearing for more than a week. That's what I would do if I lived anywhere near there. Maybe go to walmart and buy some cheap whitey tighties and undershirts and take them too. That doesn't help the women, but it would certainly help some guys feel like men again.

It's hard living so far away. It makes a person feel pretty helpless.

Comment

I've been hearing a lot lately about sending Walmart gift cards and the like, which will allow some of them to go to the stores and get the things they need. This beats, so they say, sending a truckload of toilet paper per se.

Comment

Originally posted by MoreThanConquerors
                  We were thinking of going down there too Tammy but heard that they have almost too many volunteers. Do you think thats the case?

What a great way to get the kids involved. My mother in law has taken my daughter (6 years old) to the Austin soup kitchen with her to prepare meals. She helped load the trays. Its never too early to get your kids trained on service.

From what I've heard now, they aren't taking new volunteers.
                  I do know of a place that is in dire need of volunteers (last I had heard) it's at The Rock church. I've never been there, but was told that they are a central meeting place for people who have been displaced but found shelter with a family or somewhere to stay (but not in a shelter) in Austin. They need people (from what I've heard) to do many different tasks of getting supplies ready to talking to the victims.
                  If you would like send me a pm and I'll send my email. When you reply, I can try to hook you up with some people I know who are working down there currently.
                  Honestly though, working at the soup kitchen is an awesome way to help out! There are sooooooo many people to feed. I can't even imagine the undertaking of preparing all of those meals. What an awesome opportunity for your daughter.
                  Actually, looking at all those people I remember thinking about Jesus feeding 5,000! WOW! This is actually just the 5,000, I know the Bible tells there were only 5000 men, not to mention the women and kiddos. Can you imagine?
                  That means at the soup kitchen, you actually get to see HIM turn those two fish and five loaves into enough to feed them all and then some.

In His care,
                  Tammy

PS Sorry for the stray a bit from the topic, but I guess it fits in some way - coming out of being in a spoiled country...

Comment

Originally posted by Ready2beraptured
                    I've been hearing a lot lately about sending Walmart gift cards and the like, which will allow some of them to go to the stores and get the things they need. This beats, so they say, sending a truckload of toilet paper per se.
                    You know, I keep hearing this and it doesn't make sense to me. The stores were flooded, looted, burned. How is it that toilet paper, food and water is not preferred over cash? Where are they going to spend this ca$h at?

I've heard this for days and it doesn't make sense to me at all.

If they are in Houston, perhaps. But still, they could make use of toilet paper, food and water.

Comment

yea Bobby, I believe it is meant in the shelters in various places. But as you said, why couldn't they use those essentials. I guess a mixture of both would be goods; either way you're helping.

Comment

Originally posted by N1095A
                        You know, I keep hearing this and it doesn't make sense to me. The stores were flooded, looted, burned. How is it that toilet paper, food and water is not preferred over cash? Where are they going to spend this ca$h at?

I've heard this for days and it doesn't make sense to me at all.

If they are in Houston, perhaps. But still, they could make use of toilet paper, food and water.
                        The only reason I could think of is because of the chaos of the place. If you want to purchase these things they aren't saying no, not at all, but you have to take it to a grocery store or something like that instead of bringing it to the shelter.

A glimpse of the Convention Center here:
                        Picture a place so full it's wall to wall with people and beds. Now multiply that room by two. Inside you have controlled chaos. A Childcare center in each room, bathrooms (that smell from ten yards away), a place where you are trying to coordinate pick up for clothes to be sorted by families, toys, and other essentials, etc. A reunion center, a ministry center, a pharmacy, a make-shift hospital, a message center, several call stations, a chapel, and much, much more. Now you need to add a check in (secure) for volunteers, on site training centers, supplies the volunteers need, etc.
                        Talk about lotsa stuff! I mean, lots and lots and lots of stuff and all essential, no doubt, but lots. Just sorting through them and getting them to the right location takes man power and volunteers away from where they can be used elsewhere.
                        That's why they prefer monies. They can order supplies in bulk (cheap) and when they are shipped delivered to the right location in the buildings immediately. There are also things that they may have trouble finding a location that is prudent to store such an item. Who knows? They have a big job. I can't even imagine such an undertaking. My husband walked in the first large dorm room and I told him we needed to go to the other one. He stopped and looked stunned saying, "There's another room???"
                        Truly it is something else. Sad, awful, terrible, but so much good is also happening there.

This is only a guess, but may be pretty close.
                        The convention center is no longer taking in any donations of any kind. You have to take them to HEB (grocery stores) or places like that.

In His care,
                        Tammy

Comment

Something else I just thought of with the money thing.

People need things that I totally would think of just off the top of my head.
                          Most now (at the CC) have clothes that have been donated, etc. Now they need laundromats, etc. Gas and bus services are needed to get them there. Things like that.
                          I do know that they will soon be getting cards to go out and get some things that they need. Again transportation, etc.
                          Honestly I just keep coming back to transportation. We have to make it so they can get out some. I know they are all thankful to be there, but it is boring after you've settled in. My prayer now is that as the shock of what happens wears off that tensions there will stay low. It seems that if we can get them out and give them things to do, that will help. As it is even now, people just walk out - no shoes, no where to go, etc.- stand with their arms folded and say, "I'm not going back in." Someone sits with them (usually a pastor or other ministry volunteer) and they talk and cry for a few hours and eventually come back. Giving them a chance at some sort of normalcy will take a lot of funding.
                          I guess that's a major prayer opportunity for us. Praying for tensions and emotions as reality hits these victims.

In His care,
                          Tammy

Comment

Working...
                          X