Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Relief Effort

Helping Victims of Hurricane Katrina
    Disaster Relief Units in Alabama to Help Devastated Communities Recover From the Huge Storm
    http://www.samaritan.org/MP_Article.asp?ArticleID=42

God bless & be with Franklin Graham's Samaritan's Purse. What a HUGE blessing they are to so many in need. They're already on the way. What a precious ministry that reaches people with physical needs, while also bringing the most important eternal need as well - Jesus. What love they show in His name. PTL for them! \/

May God use them in an incredible way during this major time of trial for America as well.

I doubt there is any need to twist anyone's arm to offer help, but I just wanted to bring this post by Faith into this forum as an incentive to help. I don't know of many organizations besides the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and this one. I know I can trust Franklin's organization to do well with donations. If there are other organizations that people can trust, then by all means use them. This is just the perfect way to reach people needing necessities: medical relief and Christ.

Re: Hurricane Relief Effort

From our church (which is coordinating with a church in Baton Rouge for direct support).

The first 2 are in the Dallas area (BTW, all of these have been checked out THOROUGHLY or our Pastor would not have passed them along.)

www.metrocrestsocialservices.org (Local) www.ccahelps.org (Local)
    www.samaritanspurse.org
    www.wr.org
    www.salvationarmyusa.org

Comment

I belong to a southern baptist church and I know our county association
      is collecting items to be sent.

Comment

FYI: I saw on FOX last night where the Southern Baptist Assoc is in Baton Rouge cooking and serving up meals for the evacuees in shelters there!! They had fixed them BBQ Chicken. It's so good to see them there!!
        I'd much rather give to a Christian organization because I know the people in need will receive physical as well as spiritual food!!

Comment

I am a big fan of Samaritan's Purse, a Christian relief organization headed by Franklin Graham, the son of Billy Graham. If you check out their website you will see a special area for donations for Katrina victims. Also, they spend very little on administration and advertising, which is key, IMHO, because the lions share of your donation goes to the needy in the name of Jesus.

http://www.samaritanspurse.com

Comment

Fox News just had the President on and he said the relief effort is not going quick enough and that the progress is "unacceptable."

imho...wouldn't be surprised to see some lose their jobs in Homeland Security

ysic...Shelley

Comment

I tend to think that it'll be heads of FEMA that will roll.

FOX just reported that FEMA has been at Ground Zero for 3 days and still there is no Command and Control within the organization.

Talk about UNACCEPTABLE. They should have gone IN with Command and Control already determined and been able to set up a Command Post within hours. Good grief, I realize the magnitude of this is far beyond anything we've ever experienced but - I sure well remember back when I was Active Duty USAF being part of an operation wherein we deployed hundreds of USAF military personnal, equipment (including B52's and KC135 Refuelers) into a remote Air Base and setting up a Command center and making a completely inactive Air Force base into a well-running, well-oiled machine...within hours.

I know this is huge but I also know it can be done...and I have a feeling our President does, too.

Comment

I have thought all along that whoever is in charge is not doing their job very well. What I really cannot understand is how they got hundreds of busses in after the hurricane to help the evacuees get out but why they didnt get them in before the hurricane to help the people who did not have cars of their own. I mean...if nothing else, why didnt they use the school busses in the surrounding areas on Saturday and Sunday? They knew there were thousands of people who could not drive out of the city.I honestly just don't get it.
                ysic...Shelley

Comment

The Boy that Cried Wolf.

N.O. has had NUMEROUS warnings of hurricanes over the years and when it never got all that bad people got very lithargic and as such NO ONE expected what happened - and as such no one prepared as much as they could have if they had only taken it more seriously.

Comment

Fema $

It was reported in the news yesterday that fema is spending 500 million/day on relief, and yet the people on the the ground are saying they can't find fema anywhere.

For goodness sakes, 500 million/ day you could hire half a million cabs, tell them you will pay them 1000 for the day if they will stock their cab with food water and clothing, go pick up 1 family and take them anywhere they want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                      I tend to think that it'll be heads of FEMA that will roll..
                      I HOPE FEMA heads will roll!

The thing that worries me is that if FEMA is this inept in one little localized crisis like this, they are also going to be completely without a clue in a larger, multiple-city NATION-wide emergency. I suspect we'd all best be prepared to take care of our own.

Comment

I also don't understand why they couldn't drop supplies in by helicopters like they do in other countries after a disaster.

Comment

I heard that they did send buses to get people out of the area before the hurricane, but most still refused to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumBob
                            I HOPE FEMA heads will roll!

The thing that worries me is that if FEMA is this inept in one little localized crisis like this, they are also going to be completely without a clue in a larger, multiple-city NATION-wide emergency. I suspect we'd all best be prepared to take care of our own.
                            I have been thinking about this quite a bit since this hurricane hit. We really need to start looking ahead by being stocked up and prepared as much as possible for a nation wide disaster.
                            All the time and money that has been invested into disaster preparation, (since 9-11) seems to have not come up with any answers, on how to react to great need in a stricken area.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                              . . .deployed hundreds of USAF military personnal, equipment (including B52's and KC135 Refuelers) into a remote Air Base and setting up a Command center and making a completely inactive Air Force base into a well-running, well-oiled machine...within hours.
                              The perfect example of the difference between a professional MILITARY, and a professional BUREAUCRACY. There, I said it and I'm glad!

Originally posted by Toae
                              All the time and money that has been invested into disaster preparation, (since 9-11) seems to have not come up with any answers, on how to react to great need in a stricken area.
                              Yes, and I'm just soooo glad that I've been able to participate in the effort by paying my taxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X