Faith: Question ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith: Question ?????

Seems you are a good person to ask Re: the swarm of S Cal quakes yesterday and today...are these number unusual for one day there???

Re: Faith: Question ?????

I am in Southern California and I didn't feel them. It certainly was a swarm of them! They were all centered out in the low desert.

Comment

this is the shake and bake state

Comment

El Salvador On High Alert For Active Volcano

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/2251015216
        El Salvador On High Alert For Active Volcano

Niladri Sekhar Nath - All Headline News Foreign Correspondant

San Salvador, El Salvador (AHN) – Salvadoran authorities initiate on Tuesday emergency evacuation plans in case a volcano that contintues to discharge gas and vapor decides to explode.

Experts found a "significant increase" in activity recently. The National Service of Earth Studies director Antonio Arenas says that the renewed energy was first detected on Saturday when experts witnessed 17 small earthquakes around the Ilamatepec volcano.

Ilamatepec is situated in a coffee-growing region of El Salvador almost 40 miles west of San Salvador, the capital.

Arenas also says that scientists found on Monday incandescent rocks in a 2,150-square-foot area where columns of gas and vapor reached to 3,280 feet.

“The volcano is showing a significant increase in activity, both in the number of seismic events as well as in the amount of energy being liberated," Salvadoran Interior Minister Rene Figueroa says.

All emergency agencies are on alert, and have been busy keeping people informed. They are preparing for the evacuation of 20,000 people who live in close proximity to the volacano.
        Last edited by cnav; 09-01-2005, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Re: Faith: Question ????? R & W

Wow, that sure is a big swarm, huh? Thanks for letting me know, R & W. I do like to keep a closer watch when there are SWARMS of quakes, because it MAY mean pressure is building. As I've read geologists say, the pressure can either come out in form of tons of small quakes, or build to a big quake. So, time will tell.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqs...uakes_all.html

That also can happen in areas of volcanoes as one of its' signs of impending eruption. As in the case of Mount St. Helens - which is acting up as well. Alaska & Hawaii also have been having more quakes, too.

Comment

That also can happen in areas of volcanoes as one of its' signs of impending eruption. As in the case of Mount St. Helens - which is acting up as well. Alaska & Hawaii also have been having more quakes, too.

See post on El Salvador volcano......it says just that

Experts found a "significant increase" in activity recently. The National Service of Earth Studies director Antonio Arenas says that the renewed energy was first detected on Saturday when experts witnessed 17 small earthquakes around the Ilamatepec volcano.

Comment

Re: news

Swarm of Small Earthquakes Shakes Calif

Comment

Re: Faith: Question ????? R & W

Thanks for the update R & W. Very interesting. That's definitely what I look for, too. Keep watching!

P.S. Example...many times we're told a hurricane will do one thing, but it does LOTS of totally different things. The world "unusual", "surprising", "unexpected", "record", etc etc has been used a lot these days with environmental officials.
                Last edited by faith; 09-01-2005, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X