America's Bread & Circus Society

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Bread & Circus Society

panem et circenses (Latin) means Bread and Circuses or Bread and Games. Near the end of the Roman Empire (first time around ), which is a big part of why it was the end of the Roman Empire, the Roman government figured out that if they keep the masses fed and entertained, they could get away with virtually anything they want. And they did. And the empire ended. The society and it's military, that which keeps any nation or empire free; looking at it in the natural, became fat and happy ... any civilization's demise. (posts #3 & 4 here.)

Back on Tuesday this week, Chuck Baldwin wrote about this in America. I thought it was worth a read ..

The Roman poet Juvenal (circa 100 A.D.) wrote regarding the way latter-day Roman emperors retained power and control over the masses that were seemingly more than happy to obsess themselves with trivialities and self-indulgences while their once-great-and-powerful empire collapsed before their very eyes. He wrote:

“Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions–everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses.”
    source

Issachar, sad that most every conversation I have "with the guys" starts out with, or gravitates to, sports. But I do have a few friends that are "weird" like me.
    The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Re: America's Bread & Circus Society

It seems that this "world cup fever" even goes beyond sports into almost violent allegiance. I will not be surprised if this soccer match leaves behind much tragedy.

To many groups of young men that attend, part of the necessary ambiance of World Cup is to break a few heads and to vandalize. Just like in Roman times obsession with games ends in death.

Comment

Working...
    X