Massive and Mysterious Blackout in Brazil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive and Mysterious Blackout in Brazil

SAO PAULO (AFP) – Massive blackout leaves Brazil on edge. An extraordinary power outage plunged tens of millions into darkness and sparked crime fears.
    Brazil on Wednesday sought to uncover the cause of a massive and mysterious blackout overnight, amid concerns of energy supply stability for the 2016 Olympic host nation.

The outage, which hit at 10:15 pm Tuesday (0015 GMT Wednesday) and lasted four to six hours, plunged nearly half the country into darkness. An estimated 50 million people -- more than a quarter of Brazil's 190-million-strong population -- were affected, mainly in the major cities in the southern part of the country, including Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.

Off-duty police were called up as thousands were trapped in immobile elevators and subway trains. Cars were forced to nose through intersections made dangerous by suddenly extinguished traffic lights. Some cafes closed out of fear of a nocturnal crime wave

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091111...energyblackout

Re: Massive and Mysterious Blackout in Brazil

I talked to a guy this morning who was at the airport in rio when this happened. He said they had no back up power at all, total darkness except for a few security people running around with flashlights. Passengers inside the airport opened cell phones to get light to see by.

Its not a very big airport (I was there a few weeks ago), just a little bigger than hobby airport in Houston. It will be interesting when 10s of thousands arrive for the olympics.

Comment

Peres is in Brazil...wonder where he was

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...sxwOQD9BSV5HG0

Comment

Terrorists were causing blackouts before. Have they said this is not a terrorist blackout? I would certaining want to know.

Comment

Working...
        X