• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOVERNOR SAYS TEXAS CAN LEAVE THE UNION IF IT WANTS

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...D97J48IO2.html

I will not quote from the article due to it being from AP, but Gov Perry's
    comments are worth reading.

This anti goverment feelings in some states seem to be growing stronger.

Re: GOVERNOR SAYS TEXAS CAN LEAVE THE UNION IF IT WANTS

I'm pretty sure it won't happen, but it's still interesting. It didn't go to well for the nation last time some states tried that. The federal government won't look at it and say, "hmmm ... imagine that. Oh well ... " Would Texas be it's own country then? That would be cool. What if they were attacked by some country? Would the U.S. help or say, "Oh well ..?"

I was listening to Jan Markell's radio program tonight. They were talking about the new DHS document that lists who terrorists and potential terrorists are.

Sure are some interesting days we're in. Never a dull moment from here on out.

Issachar
    The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken - dylan

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

As one born and raised in Texas, I was taught in 7th grade---that Texas could leave the union any time.
      So, with fond memories, we say goodbye.....
      actually, we are placing a large fence around the state
      and using trained long horned steers to keep watch of the borders.
      Dr. Pepper will be our national drink and we officially claim all recipes and
      foods as Texas products. O.K?
      Y'all are all welcome to come visit. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by beeleever View Post
        Y'all are all welcome to come visit. Maybe.
        Be sure to grab your passport if you want to stop by.

Comment

Secession is illegal under the Constitution of the United States. Texas isn't going anywhere.

Comment

my father in law and I used to joke around about this...

We would say that Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, NM, Oklahoma and Colorado all need to cede. All the conservatives can move here and all the liberals can move north. With those six states we would have farm land, cattle, timber, oil, a port for trade, etc.

Comment

Actually, whether a state could/can secede would be in Article IV of the U.S. Constitution but it is silent one way or the other. The South's secession was a peaceable and if Lincoln didn't like it, he should have initiated some sort of peaceful persuasion and if it worked, fine; if not, oh well ...... but to go war; the worse war the U.S. has ever experienced? Uncalled for.

But I still don't think Texas or any other state will ever secede. Perhaps 50-100 years ago. But not today.

Issachar
              The church is on Earth to save souls from a lost world, not to save the world from lost souls.

Man learns about history, not from history. To learn from history requires wisdom. Cut off from God, he has none, so history repeats; no new thing under the sun.

Psalms 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.

Comment

If they attempt it, I'll wager those leading it are threatened under the Sedition Act.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht..._I_20_115.html

And since Article IV clearly states Congress has to be involved in admitting a new state, or allowing two states to form a third state, I'd also figure the Supreme Court would rule that implies Congress has authority over deciding on a departing state.

Comment

I agree that the U.S. xtreme court would rule against seceding. They rule more often than not against the Constitution or at least try to make it say something it doesn't. The founding fathers were HUGE on states rights which is why the Constitution doesn't address seceding. They could not even imagine the federal gov't being what it is today.

Issachar

Comment

But the Union was foremost in their minds. From the context, they allowed States to have the authority to make laws that didn't limit more than Federal Law (in general).

Out of that though, you have states ratifying gay marriage.

Comment

I was just watching a show on tv the other night on the history of Texas, How it was the Mexican government who actually encouraged American farmers to go there and cultivate the land.
                      I didnt know that after the Americans won their independance from Mexico, they (Texas) didnt immediately join the union.
                      So they were, for a short time, an independant State.
                      But yes, Id have to agree with you all, that there's no way the US government would ever allow Texas to sucede, there's too much revenue involved.

Comment

Originally posted by N1095A View Post
                        If they attempt it, I'll wager those leading it are threatened under the Sedition Act.

I bet you are right, anyone trying to lead or promote sucession will be arrested. I wonder how wide spead this idea is, if it is only in Texas.

Comment

They have to hold the Union together. This is National Security stuff. If states start peeling off, unchallenged, you'd be looking at world meltdown because the most powerful nation on Earth just decided to split up. Pretty far-fetched.

Comment

Originally posted by N1095A View Post
                            They have to hold the Union together. This is National Security stuff. If states start peeling off, unchallenged, you'd be looking at world meltdown because the most powerful nation on Earth just decided to split up. Pretty far-fetched.
                            I agree, they would never allow it. I wonder if this movement got
                            wide spread if this would be an event that might cause martial law
                            and warrantless arrest of citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennken View Post
                              I bet you are right, anyone trying to lead or promote sucession will be arrested. I wonder how wide spead this idea is, if it is only in Texas.
                              I recall a report about the natives of the mid-west regaining full control of their land which included parts of Wyoming, N & S Dakota, and Montana, and how they could possibly legally declare independence, what ever became of that?

Comment

Working...
                              X