Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lebanese army moves below Litani River (says no confronting Brothers in Hezbollah)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lebanese army moves below Litani River (says no confronting Brothers in Hezbollah)

Lebanese army moves below Litani River (says no confronting Brothers in Hezbollah)
    By SAM F. GHATTAS, Associated Press Writer
    22 minutes ago

Lebanese troops, tanks and armored vehicles began deploying south of the strategic Litani River early Thursday after the Israeli army stepped up its withdrawal from the region and handed over some of its positions to U.N. peacekeepers.

.....Ten armored carriers mounted on flatbed trucks drove across a newly installed bridge over the Litani ....Trucks and jeeps mounted with Lebanese flags also carried soldiers south toward the port city of Tyre....

Further south, flatbed trucks carrying 20 tanks arrived in Marjayoun...They were accompanied by a dozen trucks loaded with troops and hoisting Lebanese flags.

The army deployment will continue for a few days "to spread Lebanese government authority over all Lebanese territory, including south of the Litani River," a senior military official.....

.....But the Lebanese government said soldiers would not "chase" or "take revenge" on Hezbollah guerrillas in a bid to disarm the fighters who fiercely resisted the Israeli invasion.

"The will be no confrontation between the army and brothers in Hezbollah," said Information Minister Ghazi Aridi after the two-hour Cabinet meeting Wednesday. "That is not the army's mission. ... They are not going to chase or, God forbid, exact revenge (on Hezbollah)."

Meanwhile, the Israeli military began handing over positions to the United Nations early Thursday. The army said more than half the area Israel held in Lebanon had been transferred over to U.N. peacekeeping forces, adding the process would occur in stages and depend on a stronger U.N. force as well as "the ability of the Lebanese army to take effective control of the area."

.....By Thursday morning, all Israeli reservists had left Lebanon and only regular troops were still patrolling there...

Before dawn, several hundred Israeli soldiers crossed back over the border into Israel. Some smiled, sang and rejoiced, while others just looked relieved to be out. One soldier sat down and cried, his head buried in his arms, after reaching Israel again.

Many said they had little faith that UNIFIL and the Lebanese army would be able to rein in Hezbollah. "I ... hope so, but if we have to come back we'll come back and we'll do it again," said John Braun, a military doctor.

Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni said..... she wanted the international force to help monitor the border to prevent Iran and Syria from replenishing Hezbollah's weapons.

"If there is a place that Israel can withdraw from and the Lebanese army can come, plus international forces, we'll do it," Livni said after meeting with U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan in New York. "But if it takes time until the international forces are organized, it takes time until Israel withdraws. This is the equation."

.....Despite continued division over disarming Hezbollah, the Cabinet decision to deploy Lebanese troops was a major step toward meeting demands that the guerrillas be removed from Israel's northern frontier.

.....The Lebanese government, which includes two Hezbollah ministers, met for the first time since the cease-fire took hold Monday, after two postponements because of divisions over Hezbollah's arms. The guerrillas, who insist they have the right to defend Lebanon, have resisted pressure to give them up or even withdraw them from the border area.

Aridi stressed that there will be no authority or weapons in south Lebanon other than those of the state. "If any weapon is found, even the brothers in Hezbollah have said 'Let it be in the hands of the army. No problem,'" he said.

Hezbollah's top official in south Lebanon hinted that the guerrillas would not disarm or withdraw but would keep its weapons out of sight. Hezbollah will have "no visible military presence," Sheik Nabil Kaouk told reporters in the southern port city of Tyre.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060817/...lebanon_israel

Re: Lebanese army moves below Litani River (says no confronting Brothers in Hezbollah)

Bottom line:

.... the so called reservists of the Lebanese Army will provide cover for Hezbollah, and "pretend" to hold control over their weapons for the time being...

UN = US = EU = Lebanese govt=

Comment

Re: Lebanese army moves below Litani River (says no confronting Brothers in Hezbollah)

http://www.nysun.com/pf.php?id=38095

Resolve Is Eroding in Face of Call to Disarm Hezbollah
      BY BENNY AVNI - Staff Reporter of the Sun
      August 17, 2006
      URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/38095

UNITED NATIONS — As all sides prepare for Lebanese and international troops to replace the Israeli army in Lebanon in as early as 10 days, officials in Europe, America, and Lebanon have made clear that the resolve to confront and disarm Hezbollah in the aftermath of the war is fast eroding.

After meeting Secretary-General Annan yesterday, Israel's foreign minister, Tzipi Livni, hailed the security council resolution that ended the fighting Monday morning, calling it a beginning of a "process" in which "the international community" is expected to end the presence of Hezbollah as an armed force.

.....The United Nations, however, demands that the current Israeli-imposed blockade is removed even before such a mechanism is in place.

U.N. officials say that within 10 days to two weeks, 3,500 troops will join the 2,000-troop UNIFIL stationed in southern Lebanon ....

But as Ms. Livni called implementation of resolution 1701 "a test" for the United Nations, Secretary of State Rice was quoted as saying the multinational force envisioned in the resolution is not expected to disarm Hezbollah, which she said should be done "voluntarily."

Announcing that the Lebanese army will deploy troops in the south, officials of Prime Minister Siniora's government yesterday left vague the question of Hezbollah's disarmament. Lebanon's army will allow no troops other than its own and those in the multinational force to carry weapons, they said, leaving open the possibility that Hezbollah will still maintain huge concealed arms caches.

Paris yesterday again sidestepped an announcement about the size and scope of the French contribution for the multinational force. Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie said France was ready to lead the force but complained that its mandate remained "fuzzy."

....Washington yesterday sounded less than resolute on the disarming of Hezbollah. "I don't think there is an expectation that this force is going to physically disarm Hezbollah," Ms. Rice told USA Today,

"I think it's a little bit of a misreading of how you disarm a militia," she said. "You have to have a plan, first of all, for the disarmament of a militia, and then the hope is that some people lay down their arms voluntarily."

....Confirming reports of an agreement to allow Hezbollah to keep concealed weapons, Hezbollah's top official in southern Lebanon, Sheik Nabil Kaouk, told reporters in Tyre: "Just like in the past, Hezbollah had no visible military presence and there will not be any visible presence now."

Comment

the Lord is preparing...
        everything is falling into place

Comment

Re: Lebanese army moves below Litani River (says no confronting Brothers in Hezbollah

You know, somehow "France" and "fuzzy" seem to belong together.
          Right Sojourner....
          I wouldn't be surprised if Lebanon was bringing supplies TO Hezbollah.

Comment

The UN ceasefire will fail very soon, mho. Israel will not sit back and let Lebanon's so called "army" patrol its borders. At least I hope Israel won't sit back but then, we've got Olmert in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Glorify Him
              The UN ceasefire will fail very soon, mho. Israel will not sit back and let Lebanon's so called "army" patrol its borders. At least I hope Israel won't sit back but then, we've got Olmert in charge.
              Actually since the begining of the war Israel specifically stated that they wanted the Lebanese Army to take over the area in force.

Israel occupied south Lebanon for the better part of 20 years - only pulling out in 2000 - and it was a very bitter and divisive issue in Israeli politics for the entire period of the occupation. And they do not want to go thru that again - regardless of future implications for another war.

In fact I would say that part of Olmert's timidity in using massive ground troops in the last fight with Hez was due in part to those same divisive issues.

Comment

Did you all notice that France is going to "Head" this force...but not provide any troops! Okey...dokey then.

Call me old fashioned....but I'd rather a man be in Rice and Livni's positions, especially in wartime and especially when dealing with Arab nations. I don't think Livni or Rice are strong enough for what is faced today.

Comment

what about a margaret thatcher?
                  I'm not a feminist, but I think history has a few women who were strong in a time of need! and a lot of men who wimped out or got bought out.
                  remember Jael and sisera? (judges 4)

Comment

http://www.alalam.ir/English/en-News...20060817121626

Lebanon to Arrest General over Base Surrender to IDF

BEIRUT, Aug. 17--Lebanese Interior Minister Ahmed Fatfat has ordered the immediate arrest of an army commander who surrendered his barracks to Zionist troops during the monthlong invasion.

Fatfat issued the arrest warrant after two Lebanese TV channels aired footage of General Adnan Daoud sipping tea with his Zionist commanders after they occupied his base in Marjayoun.

The general was in command of a 1,500 strong force of lightly armed troops and police when the Zionist army moved into the town.

They were evacuated under the protection of UN peacekeepers.

Comment

Originally posted by sojourner52
                      what about a margaret thatcher?
                      I'm not a feminist, but I think history has a few women who were strong in a time of need! and a lot of men who wimped out or got bought out.
                      remember Jael and sisera? (judges 4)
                      And don't forget Golda Meir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golda_Meir

Golda Meir (Hebrew: גּוֹלְדָּה מֵאִיר (help·info)) (born Golda Mabovitz; May 3, 1898 – December 8, 1978) was one of the founders of the State of Israel.

Meir served as the Minister of Labor, Foreign Minister, and as the fourth Prime Minister of Israel from March 17, 1969 to June 3, 1974. Golda Meir was known as the "Iron Lady" of Israeli politics years before the epithet became associated with Margaret Thatcher.

David Ben-Gurion once described her as "the only man in the Cabinet." She is the first (and to date only) female Prime Minister of Israel, and was the third female Prime Minister in the world[1].

Comment

South Lebanese cheer army, many praise Hizbollah
                        Thu 17 Aug 2006 10:23 AM ET
                        By Yara Bayoumy

JOUAYA, Lebanon, Aug 17 (Reuters) - They hailed the advancing soldiers and showered them with rice and flowers. But southern Lebanese said that without Hizbollah, Lebanon's army would not have been able to set foot in the south on Thursday.

Along the main road of Qlaiah, men, women and children stood outside their homes from dawn, cheering the Lebanese soldiers who had crossed the Litani river into the south to follow up a U.N.-brokered truce.......

......Hundreds of Lebanese soldiers set up bases in towns and villages south of the Litani, many of them Hizbollah strongholds which were among the hardest hit targets.....

.....many southern Lebanese said Hizbollah had won a victory against Israel, and that without it the army, seen as a weak force supported by a weak government, would never have been able to move in because it had neither the weapons nor the skill to fight Israel.
                        http://today.reuters.com/News/Crises...ryId=L17750361

Comment

My point about the Lebanese army is simply that they may as well be Hezzies and I bet a lot of them are or are willing to turn their back on their buddies to let them do as they wish. If anything, I would think that the 34 day war would galvanize Lebanese opinion for the Hezzies. I wouldn't want Hezzie sympathizers watching my back.

Comment

Originally posted by Glorify Him
                            My point about the Lebanese army is simply that they may as well be Hezzies and I bet a lot of them are or are willing to turn their back on their buddies to let them do as they wish. If anything, I would think that the 34 day war would galvanize Lebanese opinion for the Hezzies. I wouldn't want Hezzie sympathizers watching my back.
                            Agreed - I think that I read that 40% + of the Army is "muslim".... and strong Hez supporters - likewise keep in mind that they are just so called "reserves" called up for this - thus even less well trained, and Hez will make certain that they befriend them in many ways...

Comment

Originally posted by TomT
                              http://www.alalam.ir/English/en-News...20060817121626

Lebanon to Arrest General over Base Surrender to IDF
                              Saw this film footage earlier on CNN, I thought it was quite weird, Lebanese soldiers and the IDF sitting around drinking tea.
                              http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html
                              Last edited by Irvine; 08-18-2006, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X