Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olmert Being Hammered in Israel for his flip-flops (gov't could fall?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olmert Being Hammered in Israel for his flip-flops (gov't could fall?)

Olmert Being Hammered in Israel for his flip-flops (gov't could fall?)

Opinion polls published today showed that few Israelis are satisfied with his performance, even though an overwhelming majority still backs his decision to launch the offensive after a Hezbollah raid on July 12 in which two Israeli soldiers were abducted. Since then more than 1,000 Lebanese and 100 Israelis have been killed.

"We said two days ago that we would stop the fire, either militarily or diplomatically," an Israeli political source said. "We see that the ceasefire deal in the UN is not making the required progress, and therefore we have authorised the military action."

.....It was unclear to what extent the stepped-up Israeli action was being used a negotiating tool or whether Mr Olmert had decided that a ceasefire would be premature if Israel's primary military objectives - including the neutralisation of Hezbollah as a threat to northern Israel - have not been achieved.

A source close to the Israeli Government said tonight that Mr Olmert had received a call from Dr Rice asking if there was still any room for diplomacy, the Associated Press reported. According to the AP report, Mr Olmert said that he would be willing to call off the offensive if his diplomatic demands were met.

Mr Olmert received an unambiguous warning today that accepting a UN-brokered ceasefire before achieving a clear-cut military victory over the Shia Muslim movement would amount to a humiliating defeat for Israel that could force him from office.

After enjoying four weeks of unwavering public support, Mr Olmert and his Government woke up to an unprecedented barrage of criticism today for its handling of the war.

A headline in the Haaretz newspaper declared
    : "Olmert must go"

One newspaper reported a series of acrimonious exchanges between Mr Olmert and his deputy, the veteran Shimon Peres. The Maariv daily said that the two clashed notably during Wednesday's Security Cabinet meeting when ministers approved a wider ground war.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...308742,00.html

Well at least I'm not crazy - praying that Israel will make good choices...

Re: Olmert Being Hammered in Israel for his flip-flops (gov't could fall?)

Just don't put Peres in that position! You know he has been PM twice without being elected? 1984-1986 and 1995-1996

Comment

A Haaretz newspaper poll found only 48 per cent satisfied with Mr Olmert's performance - down from 75 per cent.

Just 20 per cent of those polled believe that that Israel is winning the campaign, against 30 per cent who say it is losing.

The Haaretz commentator Ari Shavit wrote: "One thing should be clear: if Olmert runs away now from the war he initiated, he will not be able to remain Prime Minister for even one more day.

"Chutzpah has its limits. You cannot lead an entire nation to war promising victory, produce humiliating defeat and remain in power."
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...8742_2,00.html

I truly say it sadly but at least I feel as bit vindicated to learn that what I have been sensing for the last 3 weeks is actually the case.

Comment

I was wondering about this very thing earlier....

And, there are two groups that would be glad to see him go -- the military and the ultra-Orthodox. The UOs believe that he is the last PM of Israel. They believe that the next PM will be the "one who sits on David's Throne." They are already searching of individuals who can claim the rights to the Davidic Throne. At least one individual has been located.

Does anyone understand how close we are to "that" Day?

Bob

Comment

"Chutzpah has its limits. You cannot lead an entire nation to war promising victory, produce humiliating defeat and remain in power."

Chutzpah is the quality of audacity, for good or for bad. The word derives from the Yiddish khutspeh (חוצפה) used by Jewish people originally from Eastern Europe. This, in turn, derived from the Hebrew word khutzpah (חֻצְפָּה), meaning "insolence," "audacity," and "impertinence";

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chutzpah

Comment

Originally posted by TorahTips
            I was wondering about this very thing earlier....

Does anyone understand how close we are to "that" Day?

Bob
            IMO we could possibly only be looking as short as a just a few weeks.....

Comment

Originally posted by TorahTips

They are already searching of individuals who can claim the rights to the Davidic Throne. At least one individual has been located.

Bob
              By any chance you dont happen to know who has been located?

Comment

Originally posted by TomT
                IMO we could possibly only be looking as short as a just a few weeks.....
                Are we talking of an original PM or the AC?

Comment

I have said before I did not see this goverment surviving very long,
                  the almost hourly flipflops in stances by Olmert is increasing the chances
                  of the fall of this goverment.

Comment

Originally posted by Julian4JC
                    Are we talking of an original PM or the AC?
                    Actually I was refering to the reason for my "tag line" in blue

Comment

More - the Olmert "stumble" story is starting to get wider global play...

Joshua Teitelbaum, a senior researcher at Tel Aviv University's Moshe Dayan Center says Israelis tend to expect decisive results from their wartime leaders.

"The problem is that people expected this to be over with soon," he noted. "That the army would deal a crushing blow, and that the air force and the infantry would go in and do what needs to be done.

I think the general public perception is that there has been too much dilly-dallying [taking too much time] and not enough decisive action, and I think that kind of reflects how people are feeling, that this has taken a month already."
                      http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-08-11-voa16.cfm

Comment

73 percent of respondents said Israel could not claim to have won the war against the Lebanese militant group if the fighting stopped now.
                        http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...ion=middleeast

Comment

Originally posted by TomT
                          Actually I was refering to the reason for my "tag line" in blue
                          ping:
                          just a little excited thats all?
                          not to be mistaken with seeking attention

Comment

They believe that the next PM will be the "one who sits on David's Throne." They are already searching of individuals who can claim the rights to the Davidic Throne. At least one individual has been located.
                            Is that thru genetic confirmation? I had read of testing done to confirm Levitical priesthood for Temple service..I thought they actually confirmed some Cohen who were genetic matches. but I haven't heard of Davidic search.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanie
                              Is that thru genetic confirmation? I had read of testing done to confirm Levitical priesthood for Temple service..I thought they actually confirmed some Cohen who were genetic matches. but I haven't heard of Davidic search.
                              I'm sure TorahTips can give great details - but indeed the search is going on:

www.davidicdynasty.org

Description:

This DNA research is pretesting for the DAVIDIC DYNASTY CONVENTION to be held on June 5, 6 and 7, 2007.

The DAVIDIC DYNASTY CONVENTION is a project of
                              THE ESHET CHAYIL FOUNDATION.
                              Objective:
                              DNA research to establish common Y-DNA and mt-DNA
                              pattern/patterns for those that have a tradition in their family that
                              they come from the Royal House of David. Many of our
                              great Rabbis were from the House of David, if you are
                              from a Rabbinic line you could also be the House of
                              David.
                              For more information call
                              (908) 851-0778 or Judy at (817) 355-6097.
                              *I advise scrolling down to the Male and Maternal DNA test if you are a man. See our web site at www.eshetchayil.org
                              http://www.ftdna.com/surname_join.as...8&special=TRUE

Comment

Working...
                              X