Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instead of two states side by side, why not one superimposed on the other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instead of two states side by side, why not one superimposed on the other?

comment article by Mathias Mossberg - Mathias Mossberg is vice-president for programmes at the EastWest Institute in New York. He served as Sweden's ambassador to Morocco from 1994 to 1996 and he has been involved in Middle East peace negotiations since the 1980s.

In today's world, control of geographic territory doesn't mean as much as it once did. Statehood has become less about territory (me-less about borders), and more about access to markets, technology, and the rule of law.What if the Israelis and the Palestinians were able to somehow separate the concepts of statehood and territory and to explore new ways of living together? What if both peoples were given the right - at least in principle - to settle in the whole area that lies between the Mediterranean and Jordan? (me - including the temple mount?)
    What I have in mind is utterly different, and no doubt somewhat far-fetched
    You might call it a "dual state". Instead of the familiar formula in which two states exist side by side, Israel and Palestine would be two states superimposed on one another. Citizens could freely choose which system to belong to - their citizenship would be bound not to territory, but to choice. The Israeli state would remain a homeland for Jews and, at the same time, become a place in which Palestinians were able to live freely.

There would be no need for security fences or barriers, no need for corridors or safe passages, and no need for checkpoints.
    Such a state would be an innovation in world politics, international law and constitutional design. But it would in many ways be a codification of the new world in which we already live
    more - I find it kind of interesting
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/st...812080,00.html

Re: Instead of two states side by side, why not one superimposed on the other?

and then you would have armed arab gunmen on every street corner in Israel ready to start shooting every Jew in the next wave of terror..........

what the deluded ****** dont realize is that the moslems goal is to kill every Jew Everywhere.... then come after the rest of us.....

Comment

Re: Instead of two states side by side, why not one superimposed on the other?

"Deluded"? I think that a great word for it.

The burglar and the homeowner really can't coexist.
      Two man cannot share one wife.
      Two countries cannot overlap.

Comment

Working...
      X